Funnel for Bottling

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Funnel for Bottling

Postby audistiller » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:07 am

I am a bit of a stickler for good quality gear, and accessories are no exception. One of the many video clips I have downloaded on brewing, I saw a funnel I am very interested in getting hold of. I think the one pictured is from the UK, but I am hoping someone has seen them here in Australia. If you have seen one of these somewhere, could you please let me know.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Re: Funnel for Bottling

Postby R-sole » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:57 am

Looks like plastic to me.

Buchner funnels are similar shape and made from ceremic, try scientific supply joints.

Some high quality copper funnels can be had from www.5stardistilling.com.au, see my sig.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby audistiller » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:21 am

Gday 5Star,

Yeah I'm sure it is plastic. The main reason I like this funnel, it doesn't piss out the bottom when the bottle is full. When its lifted out of the filled bottle, a valve stops any extra spirit in the funnel from being wasted, and also when its removed, the bottle is filled to an almost perfect level everytime, it also has a filter to help stop anything spoiling your mix.
audistiller

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm going to try hospitality suppliers for stainless steel funnels.
Not sure if they come small enough, worth a try.

Not fancy with strainers and stops but miles better than plastic...... or the rough copper one I made. :roll: :oops:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby LWTCS » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:26 pm

Can do whut ya like acourse. But them www.5stardistilling.com.au funnels are spun and are quite stout. They are cheaper than the sheet goods it would take to put one together locally.
LWTCS

equipment: 52 liter primary boiler
Quad thumping system
4500 watt W/100% variable controller

Postby Rockchucker22 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:16 am

I love my www.5stardistilling.com.au funnel set, very nice funnels!
Rockchucker22

equipment: 4" plater 4" pot 4" thump tower

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:37 am

I agree.

The www.5stardistilling.com.au copper funnels are excellent.

The small one fits all my 700ml-ish size bottles and the medium fits my demijohn perfectly.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby MacStill » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:32 am

Yep! cant beat the www.5stardistilling.com.au funnels, price is great and they'll last a lifetime & some :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby audistiller » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:38 am

I see they are a nice looking set, and I realize copper is better than plastic, just the reasons this one caught my eye, was because of how it shuts off when you lift it up which minimizes wasting spirit. Also once the funnel is removed, the bottle is filled to a perfect even level every time. A bit pedantic I know, but I just liked what I saw.
audistiller

Postby Goldie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:28 pm

I use a stainless funnel which I bought from one of those kitchen shops. Can't remember what I paid but wasn't much.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby audistiller » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:15 am

I realise most of you aren't interested, but for anyone that might be, I ended up finding the supplier for these funnels in Italy. I got an email back from them saying there is a Distributor in Australia, so I am waiting for a reply from them. I was right though, they are sold for use in wine making. Before I heard back from Italy, I emailed a few Homebrew Shops around Perth to try and get hold of one, but I only received a reply Brewcraft, apparently they might be importing some to stock, in which case I suspect all the Brewcraft stores across Australia will stock them.
audistiller

Postby Al Qaemist » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:20 am

I use a 13cm stainless one - was less than a 10 spot from a catering supplier and it is great. Doesn't hold on to taste or smells, can be used with jars or bottles to catch high proof right off the still. I also use it with filter paper when bottling oaked spirit to catch the "bits".

I know you like the valve idea - but unless you have a problem with your grip (arthritis?) then I don't see it being a huge benefit.
Al Qaemist

equipment: 2"x39" VM, Pot head
50L 3Kw keg, and Modified T500 boiler.

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:24 pm

could ya just jam a 'blue bottler' on to a funnel to do the same thing?
(dont know what you call them? you know the filler tube with the valve you jam on the tap of yer fermenter to stop foaming etc when filling yer homebrew beer bottles),
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby adama » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:33 pm

I just use a glass bottle that had the bottom cut off with an abrasive disc on an Angle Grinder ~ they're not un-breakable however.
Oops!
adama

equipment: 3" VM
Putting a decent size copper stripper together
28L s/s stovetop boiler come Gin machine

Return to Accessories