Parrot bits

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Re: Parrot bits

Postby YHB » Tue May 08, 2012 4:44 am

croweater wrote:can NOT get ANY thing to stick to this fucking fitting no matter what every type of flux I've got.

Two things

1) The solder when it melts is very runny and will flow through the smallest of holes.
2) If you point the flame of the torch at the joint it will blow the solder through the joint, this will make 1) more pronounced.

So to make the joint, make sure the joint is a good tight fit all round, clean and flux the joint. Then heat up the largest piece and allow the heat to transfer into the joint until the solder melts on both halves of the joint. Do not be tempted to run the torch over the joint - you will just blow away all you good work.

If you want to get rid of your frustrations then try this and make your own reducers / cups.

Take a piece of 3/4 pipe, split it along the seam them flatten it with a good sized hammer, turn the hammer over and start belting the piece of copper with the ball pane until it looks something like this.

Parrot1.JPG

Make two of them, cut the respective size holes in them- one for the filler cup and one in lieu of your reducer. and you have a fittingless parrot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YHB

equipment: 2" BOK with bolted slant plates and a homemade needle valve, sitting on a wooden boiler

Postby R-sole » Tue May 08, 2012 5:04 am

I use a drill bit nowadays.

I used to use expanders.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Tue May 08, 2012 9:22 am

I've made an inlet cup and soldered it it the 8mm piece of piss the resovior cup is soldered on its the out let to res. join that's being a turd . I nearly had it one pin leak , tried to fix it and the friggen joint fell apart since then I just cant get the solder to stick to the fitting literary hrs on one poxy join , I've got one of those big irons it takes awhile to heat up but once its hot its really hot might see if I can finish the join with that . See its a but join so I dont need to sweat solder into a lap or anything
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:25 am

Jeez I hate soft soldering and I mean fucking hate but here's thing. that parrot that I cut the bottom off to make an alteration to well I finally think I got the solder to take :happy-cheerleaderkid: only took me six short months of soldering to get that cap on the inch pipe to stick and less than 50 bucks worth of solder
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Kimbo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:52 am

I'm hearin ya Crow, Icant solder for shit,
Give me a tree and I'll build ya a house.... but solder :naughty:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:09 am

Cancel that it leaks worse than before :angry-banghead:
crow

Postby MacStill » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:22 pm

croweater wrote:Cancel that it leaks worse than before :angry-banghead:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Ok spent almost all of today trying to do this shit what the hell is going on. This is what I'm trying to do (today anyway) I got a 1 inch parrot I'm trying to butt joint solder on to a flat piece of copper plate. am I pissing into the wind or is this possible if so how do ya get it to stick and be water tight
Just got me fucked I mean to say, fucking hell. I can braze, silver solder, use a soldering iron, arc weld, mig weld, use a blacksmith forge and hammer weld (fuse weld) hell I've even spot welded how can this be so fucking impossible, goddamnit
crow

Postby MacStill » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:21 pm

Clean both parts nicely, flux both parts.

Stand the 1" pipe where you want it and drop some solder pieces about 3mm long down the inside of the 1", use a bit of wire to push the solder bits to the inside wall of the pipe.

Heat the plate and the pipe keeping the torch moving, once the solder melts it will pull it through the join to the outside and use your flame to pull the solder completely around the join.

Let it cool off and wipe it with a wet rag :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:26 pm

What you end up with is this

IMG_0958.JPG

:romance-kisscheek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:31 pm

Did you get it sorted mate?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:15 am

Nar got the kids here now pretty hard to get much done
crow

Postby crow » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:50 pm

dropped a handful a scrap solder (got tons)down the parrot heated the fucking thing right up, smolten solder pissed out the bottom, looks ugly as fuck but by jove I think he's got it, no leaks 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
crow

Postby googe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:02 pm

:occasion-partyblower:
googe

Postby emptyglass » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:17 pm

croweater wrote: smolten solder pissed out the bottom, looks ugly as fuck

At least the copper wont rust with all that solder plating :teasing-tease:

at least you won in the end :handgestures-thumbupleft: Well done mate
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:00 pm

croweater wrote:dropped a handful a scrap solder (got tons)down the parrot heated the fucking thing right up, smolten solder pissed out the bottom, looks ugly as fuck but by jove I think he's got it, no leaks 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

We want pics :music-deathmetal: :happy-partydance: :music-deathmetal:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:44 pm

McStill wrote:
croweater wrote:dropped a handful a scrap solder (got tons)down the parrot heated the fucking thing right up, smolten solder pissed out the bottom, looks ugly as fuck but by jove I think he's got it, no leaks 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

We want pics :music-deathmetal: :happy-partydance: :music-deathmetal:

Don't know about that its pretty bad but I'm not game to clean it up
crow

Postby crow » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:17 pm

stilsens fell on my parrot :crying-blue:
crow

Postby MacStill » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:25 pm

I cant take it anymore, send me your fuckin address and I'll send you a parrot for xmas :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Fuckin useless (u^t :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:40 pm

McStill wrote:I cant take it anymore, send me your fuckin address and I'll send you a parrot for xmas :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Fuckin useless (u^t :teasing-neener:

:clap:
googe

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories