Cheap and easy insulation

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Cheap and easy insulation

Postby ChefRo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:25 am

Hope i have posted this in the right place. I have been pritty quiet of late and thought i might share some thing that i have stumbled across, with the community i have learnt so much from. i have allways used a non insulated keg. But i figure it would be better/more efficient with some insulation. Trying to save on coin i wanted to use what was on hand.
It just so happened that i had a car windscreen heat repeller thing. Turns out it was a perfect fit. Left 1cm of over lap and a 10 cm high collar which i just folded and taped in place. i was worried about it catching fire, melting ect but after every thing i had thrown at it it has held up well. I have tried lighting it (while the still was not running) and it was fine. Seems to keep in a lot of the heat and my run times have gone down.
hope this can help any one out in a jam, any comments / concerns please i am all ears....

ps i am using an electric element.... i imagine it would not be suitable for gas with out modding :think:
ChefRo

equipment: 50l 2inch pot
90l S/S Bubbler
power controller
running out of bells and whistles to get

Re: Cheap and easy insulation

Postby ChefRo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:36 am

pic for those interested
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChefRo

equipment: 50l 2inch pot
90l S/S Bubbler
power controller
running out of bells and whistles to get

Re: Cheap and easy insulation

Postby NotBenStiller » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:16 pm

I was just thinking about trying that myself for my next run.
I was thinking they'd handle the heat fine since they handle hot car windows without problem. (Prolly not as hot as a boiler but heat is their main function)
I have a couple spares that have a green jungle photo on one side - that's gonna look pretty round the boiler :p
(non photo side will be facing inwards)

I'm guessing it's pretty much the same stuff as this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SILVER-ALUMINIUM-FOIL-BUBBLE-WRAP-INSULATION-3-SQ-M-FREE-SAME-DAY-SHIPPING-/280907467842?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Construction_Building_Materials_Hardware&hash=item416763cc42
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Return to Accessories