liebig

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

liebig

Postby googe » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:05 am

Hi all, just wondering if anyone that uses a liebig has ever run it the opisit way. Vapour on the outside tube and water down the center?. Know what i mean?

Cheers
googe

Re: liebig

Postby crow » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:25 am

Its called a Davies condenser , if you put another wall/jacket double walled Davies condenser it cools from the inside and outside and becomes one of the most efficient of these types of condensers so I understand
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby R-sole » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:43 am

Mine looks like this...

punkincondenser.jpg

It has a vapour path cooled on both sides.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:08 pm

ah that's the go , the one I've drawn up is more convoluted and the coolant feeds would have had to be threaded in as there was no way to solder or braze them . basically feed in from the top side to the inside jacket , out the inside jacket near the base into the outside jacket and out the outside jacket up the top near the inlet feed and the product line flows through between them :? would work really well I think and could be made quite short but a fair bastard to make
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby R-sole » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:53 pm

R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby googe » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Now thats confusing crow haha :shock: . Show us your piccy?. Ive got a design thats very easy to build and works much the same way as 5Star. Will draw it at work tonight and post it later. Thats it 5Star, sort of. Did it work well?. Thanks for the links.
googe

Postby crow » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:23 pm

Here hope this makes it clearer click on it EDIT damn wrong picture :angry-banghead: can't delete it and repost . Ok that outlet is not suppose to go through to the vapor jacket obviously :roll: so pretend it is a coolant outlet just coming out of the outer wall jacket
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crow

Postby bt1 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:00 pm

One question

Why incurr the complexity and cost?

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:38 pm

that's nothing ya should see some of the crazy shit I dream up :icon-lol:(insert) evil laugh , seriously this type of condenser would knock something look four times the vapor . vapor speed could be increased and or the condenser could be made quite small
crow

Postby googe » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:15 am

Great minds think alike crow, yours looks like an easy build :). Because we can bt1 ;). Nothing ventured nothing gained.

sorry for deserting you in chat crow, comp crashed :evil:
googe

Postby R-sole » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:51 am

It works brilliantly
R-sole

Postby law-of-ohms » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:18 am

Ok, just cause everyone is drawing stuff here is my go.....

see .zip file for 3d PDF

davis condenser.JPG

davies condenser.zip
law-of-ohms

equipment: 50L Keg boiler, 3600W element. - Low wines to nice wines :)
90L (Big Bertha) 1.2M 3" Copper - too small... lol

Postby Frank » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:17 pm

5Star wrote:It works brilliantly

How so, 5Star? :think:
I mean what is brilliant; the flowrates achievable or the quality/consistency/fractioning of spirit or lack of water needed or all of the above or.... :? ??????
Frank

Postby googe » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:47 pm

" before you go ahead with the condenser consider places where ethanol can get trapped as they may end up being a source of smearing " Thought i'd put it here crow to save my confusion lol. I dont know what smearing is?. But i did think about ethanol getting traped in area, i can think of only one spot near the outlet, i was thinking of putting a reducer in there to act like a funnel. Bit hard to explain, will show ya when i build it. Cheers
googe

Postby crow » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:07 pm

Ok smearing is the mixing of your cuts and your Davies condenser as you've drawn it will cause that I think . what happens is ya say in to ya hearts maybe halfway though and some of that trapped ethanol fore one reason or another , (slight bump , change in flow rate ect) suddenly mixes with your heart cut and bingo ya hearts is full of heads that jar anyway . one serious head fuck ya don't need . see my design , it has no where for that to happen if it was vertical , if you made it so the vapor path did't reduce (easy) then it couldn't happen period . I might start a thread " Condensers " where everyone can post there designs rather than drag this here off cause
crow

Postby googe » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Thanks for the info, ive got some ideas for the end bit were it might collect and get stuck, will just have to make it and try it first.
googe

Postby R-sole » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:47 am

Frank wrote:
5Star wrote:It works brilliantly

How so, 5Star? :think:
I mean what is brilliant; the flowrates achievable or the quality/consistency/fractioning of spirit or lack of water needed or all of the above or.... :? ??????

I don't think it makes any difference to the spirit what kind of condensor is used. None that i've ever been able to tell anyway.

The brilliant refers to the efficiency of the thing. Using bugger all water (i haven't measured the flow, but it'd be lucky to be 5 litres/min i can knock down 10 l/hr stripping runs. The top 1" of the condensor gets warm, the distillate comes out at the same temp as the input water.

It mounts on the wall out of the way and takes up fuckall room.
R-sole

Postby law-of-ohms » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:21 pm

ok, so I made an inverted lieburg

1" pipe in a 2" housing.

see pics and vid

VIDEO HERE.............

http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/ad249/law-of-ohms/element/?action=view&current=invert.mp4
law-of-ohms

Postby googe » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:49 am

Is the top arm the inverted bit?. Looks good mate, its massive!. How'd it work?.
googe

Postby law-of-ohms » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:42 pm

The pics dont show but it pumps a lot of volume of booze!

I like the idea of some condensing before the diameter of the pipe is decreesed.

It does need the second lieburg with that ammount of lpg / flow rate...
law-of-ohms

Next

Return to Accessories