Transfering liquids?

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Transfering liquids?

Postby Cooperville » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:16 am

I have been doing a lot of ferments lately and I have to tell ya it is a lot of work I am using 50Ltr bins to do the washes, and a lot of my transfers involve siphoning from here to there.
filtering , adding to boiler,washing out etc
Does anyone use pumps to move liquids around eg; march pump
My brewery is all inside the house so I have to have dry transfers
I do it all inside just to keep it private.

any tips out there?

seriously looking at pumps only issue with the march pump is that they need head pressure to prime which means all tanks will have to be elevated to some extent and liquids drawn off the bottom of tank, but some of my transfers wil be hot 100c.eg backset and wort

Cooperville
Cooperville

equipment: junk loads of junk

Re: Transfering liquids?

Postby R-sole » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:33 am

There is a cheap chinese pump that will handle hot liquids out there. Do a search on ebay or google for 'liitle brown pump'. They can be had for under $20. Still need to be primed.
A generic cheap replacement washing machine pump will do it too, they can be under $20 but the same restrictions.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Transfering liquids?

Postby BCarter » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 am

I use a positive displacement pump (mono). However, I'm doing a lot larger stuff (in excess of 1000L).
BCarter

equipment: Winemaker

Postby stilly_bugger » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:38 am

5Star wrote:...'liitle brown pump'...

Is this what you had in mind, 5Star?

They are available from the UK, here.

I siphon everything using a ~1.5m length of 13mm silicone tubing with a ~50cm length of hard-drawn 1/2" copper shoved in one end of the silicone tube. The hard-drawn makes it easier to control your suction point, which makes it easier to suck everything off the bottom of a keg and easier to draw a ferment out of a drum without disturbing the settled yeast. Yes, you need to have the head height to siphon, so your ferments have to be raised, but I just sit my 80L drums on old wooden chairs. Also, with a 900mm column you could sit your keg on a stable, raised surface, giving you the height to siphon off when done.

These little brown pumps look good, though.
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby adama » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:58 am

Go to Aussie Home Brewers to get the little brown pumps locally:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php

I use one of these:
Pump for,diesel fuel,wine ,liquid fertilizer.brass head 240 volt 20 mm
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pump-for-die ... 3a7828dcaf

I use reinforced food safe hose to get from A to B (it's not that cheap)

I simply pour some water into the hose that will "pick-up" the wash . . . . that primes the pump . . . it's easy.
adama

equipment: 3" VM
Putting a decent size copper stripper together
28L s/s stovetop boiler come Gin machine

Postby R-sole » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:00 am

That's them. They are tiny apparently.

Can get them here much cheaper than that though..

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4630

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/i ... 65236&st=0
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:41 pm

how would one of those petrol drum pumps go . the newer type have a handle that ya whiz around not up and down so the flow is constant and pretty fast (for washes and backsets only of cause) , anyone tried them
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Twisted » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:52 pm

primus camp shower and a 12v battery an adaptor with two allegator clips to an accessories plug, desingned to be pumping hot water from a bucket,
Twisted

equipment: My penis is inverted and I am a childish little girl

Postby Cooperville » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:17 pm

found this one on eaby the price is right but i seems a little small is this what you were reffering to 5Star?
I like the look of it, it has the right fittings on there instead of using just barbed type you could screw a nice cam-lok fitting on to each end and set the hoses up proper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cooperville

Postby Twisted » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Twisted

Postby jamjar » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:00 pm

I just use a DRILL POWERED SIPHON PUMP got mine from Supercheap - attach mine to a cordless drill and move it anywhere without worrying about power cords etc.
On grain washes I stick the end of a cheap watering can on the end of the hose and use it as a seive to filler out the grain as it pumps.
jamjar

equipment: 2" Boka

Postby Twisted » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:05 pm

Twisted wrote: primus camp shower and a 12v battery an adaptor with two allegator clips to an accessories plug, desingned to be pumping hot water from a bucket

Twisted wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/items/_W0QQ_sopZ12?_nkw=primus%20camping%20shower&_fromfsb=0&_trksid=m270.l1313

$35 bucks

NO GOOD :handgestures-thumbdown:
I just got mine out to test the flow rate, ive used it twice and the fuckin motor is seized, it an imersion pump and the seal must have failed.
lucky theyre cheap hey :cry:
Twisted

Postby Cooperville » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:17 pm

Has anyone tried one of these they are pretty cheap but dont require priming!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271032303909?ss ... 1423.l2649
Twisted sorry about the shower pump idea I dont want to submerse my pump except my cooling water pump which is a submersible,I like the idea of using the end of a watering can to strain solids they come in an array of models which I have actually been looking at for siphoning and airation!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cooperville

Postby Granpappy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi Drifting79 - I have this same pump only in 240v hooked up to a commercial coffee machine and have had no problems with it at all over the past 18 months. Keeps constant pressure and doesn't need to be primed.
Granpappy

equipment: Store bought 5 lt pot still and 4x25 lt fermenters

Postby Cooperville » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Ok thats good news there grand pappy so it handles hot liquids pretty well then i take.
Cooperville

Postby Granpappy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:16 pm

Don't know bout the hot liquids as it is on the 'other' side and only handling cold stuff. But it didn't falter the other week when the water inside the pump was frozen and needed to be thawed out with a hair dryer - just pumped on business as usual
Granpappy

equipment: Store bought 5 lt pot still and 4x25 lt fermenters

Postby googe » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:19 am

I had one of them type years ago drifting79, more expensive though, there an awesome pump could pump 50m up a good incline and built in cutoff. Only prob is you need a decnt battery and charger, big $$.
googe

Postby Cooperville » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:29 am

Googe

could you just wire it up to a 240v -12v transformer that i may have just lying around from some other electrical goods??
Cooperville

Postby googe » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:52 am

Dont really know mate, i get lost with indepth electrical lol. google would tell you. All i know is most 12v systems need something like 13v+ to have them running at optimum levels. I think you can get that type pump in 240?.

Cheers
googe

Postby R-sole » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:19 am

Dick Smith has 12v 2 amp power supplies for ~$20
R-sole

Next

Return to Accessories