Transfering liquids?

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Re: Transfering liquids?

Postby Al Qaemist » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:47 am

I just use 20l bucket fulls to charge the still - I like the time stood siphoning it gives me quiet time to think about the run, and double check things.
My keg boiler doesn't have a drain tap so I just lift that heavy fucker to the drain and tip - hot messy shit - not good.

This has me currently working on a way of swapping out the pressure gauge for a SS tube that will go to the bottom of the still so pressurizing the still with a foot pump, will let me pump up hill :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Will probably save my back in the long term, so will post a how-2 if successful.
Al Qaemist

equipment: 2"x39" VM, Pot head
50L 3Kw keg, and Modified T500 boiler.

Postby Cooperville » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:15 am

Im feeling ya there AlQ,
lifting all these fluids has got rocks on it.
you should consider adding a drain siphon to the base of your boiler I added a weldless ball valve
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel ... 415a42cd79
and it makes collecting hot backset a breeze and draining any fliud from boiler If there is any left over in the bottom of keg I just use my siphon to remove the rest then a quick wipe out and its all done.
setting up your boiler nice is the main thing it makes the whole process much more enjoyable.
I have three weldless fittings on my boiler and no leaks so I rate them pretty highly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waDsx3jzMfY here is my boiler I hope it gives you some ideas
I think trying to make the transfer of my fluids easier with the push of a button is going to make the whole process a lot more enjoyable.
Cooperville

equipment: junk loads of junk

Postby Chocaholic » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:03 pm

That's a great Video there drifting 79. Nice setup with your universal Rig too. Would you mind posting a pic or 2 of your 2" welded ferrule and the junction box?

I'm interested in how you connected the J box to the triclamp. :text-coolphotos:
Chocaholic

equipment: Amphora Society PDA-1

Postby Cooperville » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:14 pm

I cant at the moment choco as I am at sea for a few more weeks workin but when i get back i think i will lay out all my equiptment and try and do a bit of a tutorial its a great setup and now I have the dash 2 to add to the list super excited it will be christmas when I get home the junction box is hillbilly stills so they have this conection to 2"ferel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSxR9Gb3CSs
this was just the best idea i thought so bought the lot, you can buy just that fitting from Hill billys or like i did buy the voltage controller also and your cooking!
Cooperville

Postby NotBenStiller » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:19 am

jamjar wrote:I just use a DRILL POWERED SIPHON PUMP got mine from Supercheap - attach mine to a cordless drill and move it anywhere without worrying about power cords etc.

Good idea - 2 ordered off the ebays for $20 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby Cooperville » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:23 pm

jamjar wrote:I just use a DRILL POWERED SIPHON PUMP got mine from Supercheap - attach mine to a cordless drill and move it anywhere without worrying about power cords etc.
On grain washes I stick the end of a cheap watering can on the end of the hose and use it as a seive to filler out the grain as it pumps.

I just bought 2 for 20 bux on ebay also cant lose really if they are no good it will give me time to save up for a decent electric pump

thanks for all the input :clap:
Cooperville
Cooperville

Postby crozdog » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:29 pm

Cooperville wrote:Googe

could you just wire it up to a 240v -12v transformer that i may have just lying around from some other electrical goods??

modify an old computer ATX power supply - almost free
http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Comput ... wer-Supply

need more juice? use a server PSU - amps on tap...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292514

N.B. info provided as general advice - if you know nothing about power or electronics- don't stuff with this - get someone who knows what they are doing to do the mod for you & give em a bottle of your finest in return. These supplies can store a large charge even when turned off. you have been warned.
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Postby stephenkentucky » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:08 pm

Cool advice ..Crozdog
stephenkentucky

Postby TassieStiller » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:17 am

I am looking at having my setup in the garage. I will have the wash on the workbench which is about 1m off the floor, then the still at ground level. I will have a drain plug at the bottom of the wash bin and will then let gravity do the pumping :)
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element

Postby Cooperville » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Tassie stiller,
you will see what I mean by having to transfer liquids once you get a bit more wash going I think every one can use gravity for a portion of their transfers but it has come much more apparent to me for the need of a pump
now I have 8 fermentors from 30l to 60ltr and probably will get more in the future.
also I having to move your boiler around is not an option for some members.
I think the drill pump option is a goody as they are cheap and versatile.
But if using a drill pump we should remember that they need to be sterile if using it to fill liquids to fermentor for fermenting. im not to sure how they will go for this but you should be able to dismantle for cleaning.
I will let everyone know how they go once I have had a good run on them.

Cooperville
Cooperville

Postby NotBenStiller » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:05 pm

my drill pumps arrived off the ebays - these might not be good for food contact.
there's a sign on the back of a guy drinking silhouette with a big red cross thru it.
Another sign with an oil can - i guess the wash being transferred would come into contact with some lubrication inside.

And they smell really chemicaly and plasticy

Still would be handy devices for other tasks tho.
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby Cooperville » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:46 pm

mm OK that's not good well thanks for letting everyone know I will see if mine are any better but i doubt it

we probably bought the same model looks like i will have to get the little brown model or i will have to spend more on a march pump style.
Cooperville

Postby Swede » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:49 am

Swede

equipment: Keg still with VM and Pot head with thumper
240V 4500w electric with control sys
Semi automated steam mashing setup
Beer and kegging setup

Transfering liquids?

Postby BCarter » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Anyone looked at a small peristaltic pump?
BCarter

equipment: Winemaker

Postby Jonno » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:59 pm

So i'm looking at picking up some 200L drums tomorrow to ferment in. The wife says i can get them if i leave them outside.

What's the best way of siphoning to my boiler from these? Other then using a bucket? I dont have access to a battery to hook up a 12v system.

Cheers for the ideas guys!
Jonno

Postby crow » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:47 pm

how about a drill pump they are about $20 or so long as ya got power there
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Jonno » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:50 am

From the replies in this thread they don't look food safe?
Jonno

Transfering liquids?

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:00 am

I put mine on a milk crate with a 600x600 paving slab under it. Gives ya the height needed to syphon. Be thoughtful of where u place it as once it's there and full it ain't moving.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby crow » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:01 am

Jonno wrote:From the replies in this thread they don't look food safe?

yeah I wouldn't try eating one :roll:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:19 am

crow wrote:
Jonno wrote:From the replies in this thread they don't look food safe?

yeah I wouldn't try eating one :roll:

You're on fire today Crow :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories