Transfering liquids?

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Re: Transfering liquids?

Postby Jonno » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:06 pm

Didnt think it was that funny but anyway.

Might stick with the ol buckets for now until i can sort something else out
Jonno

Postby Camikaze » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Jonno wrote:Didnt think it was that funny but anyway.

I thought it was gold. :))

Have you thought about a piece of 3/4" silicone hose and old-school syphoning it out to your boiler? Would've thought it to work pretty good.

:think:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby crow » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:44 pm

The point being jonno is you are tranferring a wash though it, I'd like to bet none of the breweries or wineries have"food grade" pumps for transferring liquid I know the pumps they use for emptying tankers of juice and wine and they have rubber or rubber/synthetic impellers as do the pumps on crushing plants I think I know of one that isn't, it was put in by southcorp (maybe why they went under) at a cost of 8 + million dollars plus maintainace costs. Not really viable for the biggest wine producer in the world (at the time) so probably out of reach for the for quite a percentage of home brewers as well 8-} are they food grade stainless buckets 316-304, stear clear of copper ones there pages on the net on copper oxide health issues ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:19 pm

I have used a lot of washing machine pumps, By the time you get them they have had millions of gallons of hot water soap bleach ect threw them
I know of quite a few who do grain brewing have been using them for years the only thing they are not self priming so you will need a tap in the bottom of your fermenter
Also on hoses you can buy white food grade 1/2 in hose like they use to supply caravans I got 10 meters at the recycling center yesterday $5.00
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby googe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:00 pm

Whats wrong with puting the fermenter up high like urz said and putting a tap on it with a hose?. Is that to technical?.
googe

Postby Jonno » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:07 pm

The location I'm gonna put the 200l fermenter isn't going to be high enough area to stack it high enough to use that method.

I may try that drill siphon if you'll reckon it's safe enough to use.
Jonno

Postby MacStill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:13 pm

I just use a fish pond pump and some silicone hose :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Fatherjack » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:04 pm

I been using a 2m length of nylex garden hose to siphon wash to boiler, convinced myself that wash wasn't in hose long enough to poison me or cause problems ( & thought fark it liquid not hot, hose is clean)................am I greatly mistaken??

Have always meant to pick up some silicone tube or even black rubber milk tube as used in cowsheds.......maybe 2moro ;-)
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

Previous

Return to Accessories