2 stage pre-condenser

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Re: 2 stage pre-condenser

Postby tickle » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:27 am

may have gotten to the bottom of the bypassing....i left the tubes on the bottom un cut hanging down, some are long, some are short you can see what i mean in the pic; the one that was bypassing was one that was cut tight. i'm thinking that cutting them all tight will fix. seems plausible to me that the vapor would travel up to contact the cold surface, and pool up and pass through the shorter tubes first. not sure if what i'm describing makes sense, hope the pic helps...any way, will cut em all back, see if it improves
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Postby MacStill » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:47 am

makes perfect sense tickle, vapor will travel the the least restricted path :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby tickle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:39 am

cut the tubes back, what a difference! lost the cool factor of it lookiing like a pipe organ, but it works great now, i am tossing huge amounts of heat at it, just trying to see its limits. the 2nd stage is a nice feature, much less of a "flywheel affect" when making adjustments; far more responsive to flow rate changes. overall, i'm happy with it
full reflux flame.JPG

pretty good fire!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tickle

Postby tickle » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Well, all things considered, I am happy with it. I did learn a lot, and dont regret building it this way at all. More often than not, I dont end up needing all of its knock down power, which you tried to tell me...but bieng the first build, it did make me feel better to over build. The builds since have also been two stage, because it is cool, and I do like to have the option to crank shit up! Brutish am very surprised at how little is needed to make it work, and know that if I had made it full sized, without the center drain, running would have been a real balancing act. So, my advice to a rookies? 2stage it to feel good, know it will over perform, but without the drawbacks of a massive flywheels effect. Then, on the next build you can decide how big you want!
tickle

Previous

Return to Accessories