My 2" condenser

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

My 2" condenser

Postby googe » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:34 pm

Hey all, started building my 2' condenser, 1" inner tube, 2" middle and 2.5" outer. Got a heap of cheap copper at the recycler thismorning :). Will post pic's as i go along.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Re: My 2" condenser

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:55 pm

why do you need 3 tubes? you running 2 layers of water threw it?
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby MacStill » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:17 pm

kelbygreen wrote:why do you need 3 tubes? you running 2 layers of water threw it?

Efficiency ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:26 pm

oh ok is it cold water in both parts or does the cool water run threw the external then passes into the inner tube then out the top threw the inner tube?

nice work though sure that cut some steam down :P
kelbygreen

Postby googe » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:21 pm

Water runs into the top of the inner tube via a 1/2" that extends the length of the 1.5" inner tube, then there's an outlet at the top of the inner tube, that then runs into the lower part of the 2.5" outer tube and out the top of the outer 2.5" tube into the recylce tank. Same as the smaller one i did a few weeks back but just want more volume, my last one is to small and the vapor flow is restricted hence the low output, im hoping this one will work better cause the tube volums are equal which = effecientcy. have been wanting to do this size since i first thought of it and wont rest till i try it!! :)) . Ya know when ya get an idea and you cant stop till you try it! :D.
googe

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:43 pm

haha good work :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kelbygreen

My 2" condenser

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Is the idea to be able to use the least amount of water possible? Or to run it as hard as you can?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby googe » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:00 pm

The idea is to have maximum amount of surface area cooled so it can knock down vapor more efficiently, ive done the standard liebig and compaired it with this type and this type is more balanced. Its not really about running it as hard as i can, but if i want to i can and it will handle it, yet on the other hand its very controlled when the heat is turned down. In regards to using less water, it holds a shit load of water once it fills all tubes, but when doing a spirit run i need bugger all heat to keep a nice flow, i would say i would use 40% less heat compaired to the standard 1/2" inside 3/4" liebig. I can set the flow on a spirit run and it will stay like that for all the wash and not fad or puke, very steady. Hope that made sence sam lol.
googe

My 2" condenser

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:13 pm

No it doesn't really. Your condenser should have no bearing in what your output is
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby googe » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:34 pm

The condenser should have no bearing in what the output is?, i thought that was the whole idea?. Can you elaberate please?.
googe

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:37 pm

yeah I thought that to well in a stripping run more so as if it cant condense the vapour formed the it will have a lower output, but for a strip run cant see it as critical.

but would like to know the reasons behind it all :P
kelbygreen

My 2" condenser

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Your output is driven by how much power you pump into your boiler and the setup of your column ie how big your diameter is. All the condenser needs to do is condense that output of vapor
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby googe » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:47 pm

So what your saying is, no matter what type or design of condensor, as long as it suits the output rate there all going to be the same?.
googe

My 2" condenser

Postby Sam. » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:28 am

Basically just some are better suited to knock more vapor down. All depends how hard you want to run your still
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby googe » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Made a change of plans and will go back to original design when i try this one, going to change the way i get the inner cooling tube in there, should work well, fingers crossed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Postby Kimbo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Keep us posted Googe :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby googe » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:16 pm

will do kimbo :handgestures-thumbupleft: doesnt seem like many builds happening atm so thought id add one, not much of a build but better than nothing. All goes towards promoting the site and making it larger :).
googe

Postby googe » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:51 am

Finished the inner cooling tube, making it all from scrap ive got laying around no reducers and end caps ect ect. Just want newbies and tight asses like myself to know they can make shit without spending shitloads on fittings and the such. Sorry bout the pic's, its hard taking oics of long stuff close up ha.
googe

Postby Kimbo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:54 pm

Thats great Googe, thanks for puttin in the effort for some of the noobs :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby googe » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:02 pm

No worries kimbo, i just want to help others any way i can cause i wouldnt have a clue about any of it if it wasnt for this site and the people in it :).
Btw the end caps are off cuts from a hole i did with a hole saw ages ago, quick file and they fitted sweet :).
googe

Next

Return to Accessories