Condenser pump idea

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Condenser pump idea

Postby DisturbedDave » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:53 am

Hey guys,
First time posting, figured may as well make my first post a contributive one, before I start asking a million and one questions.

So I see a lot of people struggling with ways to circulate water through the condenser, without having the water supply overheat (200-300L setups are obviously going to overheat within hours).

So, my question, or suggestion if it turns out to be a good idea, is: will using a 100-200L drum/tank/anything that holds water, with a line running from that to an aquarium water chiller/pump, then through to the condenser, then back to the holding tank be an efficient, and foolproof way to keep your temps to 20deg? These chillers are digitally controlled, have a digital readout on current temp, and can be sourced easily through aquarium forums.
DisturbedDave

equipment: Nothing at present

Condenser pump idea

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:14 am

Adds to the cost of running the still instead of having a large enough reservoir that stays cool just from ambient :) and therefore is free.

Can see it being viable if space is an issue
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Condenser pump idea

Postby Lupus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:42 am

The problem is having enough space for a tank. This suggestion may be a worthwhile consideration for a person with limited space like me.

However, as I am only starting out, this is off the shopping list until I am happy with my setup and have learned the requirements of my individual set up and how hot the water being recirculated gets.

However, to keep the discussion on the move, how would you connect one of these up. A quick look suggests possibly an external unit. Would you run water from condenser to chiller to tank and back to the still? Or alternately condenser, tank, chiller, still? Or run two tanks with the chiller between them. I am not sure how hot the water gets? I am planning on a 200l tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Lupus

equipment: Total N00bie with lst to learn

Re: Condenser pump idea

Postby blond.chap » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:09 am

I was thinking about running the water out of the condenser through a car radiator (air cooled with a fan). Then back to the coolant tank.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Condenser pump idea

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:17 am

Yep understand if its a space issue.
If u got a 50l boiler then it gets very hot, I did read somewhere on hd someone doing a temp increase per min calc a while ago.

It would need to be a pretty effective unit. If someone doing a run soon could post the temp increase throughout their run that would give something to go on.

Also fish tanks go by ambient temps, so if it is a large tank the fluctuation would be minor, therefore not require much cooling, maybe a few degrees and too much temp drop too fast could not be ideal for fish this leads me to believe that the steady increase of water temp through a run would be too much for one to handle. I think a radiator that is built for high temps and fan set up would give a much better result and also be cheaper to run.
Urrazeb

Postby Kimbo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:01 pm

blond.chap wrote:I was thinking about running the water out of the condenser through a car radiator (air cooled with a fan). Then back to the coolant tank.

That's what WineGlass does, seems to work well for him :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby blond.chap » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Great, turns out there is good reason to hold on to a written-off '95 corolla
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby DisturbedDave » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:33 pm

Urrazeb wrote:Yep understand if its a space issue.
If u got a 50l boiler then it gets very hot, I did read somewhere on hd someone doing a temp increase per min calc a while ago.

It would need to be a pretty effective unit. If someone doing a run soon could post the temp increase throughout their run that would give something to go on.

Also fish tanks go by ambient temps, so if it is a large tank the fluctuation would be minor, therefore not require much cooling, maybe a few degrees and too much temp drop too fast could not be ideal for fish this leads me to believe that the steady increase of water temp through a run would be too much for one to handle. I think a radiator that is built for high temps and fan set up would give a much better result and also be cheaper to run.

Ah! Didn't think about the rapid increase in heat. May or may not handle it, I guess it's something that needs to be tried n tested. I've thought about the car radiator idea, n might be a decent idea. Seeing as I work in refrigeration wholesale, I might even be able to source a coil (3/8") shroud and fan. Food for thought.
DisturbedDave

Condenser pump idea

Postby Lupus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:07 pm

The temperature rise may be handled with two tanks of water?

Condenser to discharge tank, which already has water in it to buffer incoming heated water. Aquarium chiller then pulls from warm discharge tank, cools water and returns it to source tank. Pump draws water from cooler source tank to feed the still?

Two tanks does mean a greater volume of water, with a greater surface area to cool from. The chiller just helps keep the temperature more controlled. Just Radom thoughts. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lupus

Postby Kimbo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:40 pm

What you need to remember is that your not running a hot water system. Although there is some heat transferring to your cooling water, its not a huge amount. Radiators work great coz thats what they're designed to do. If you find that the water is getting too hot (which i doubt it will) then try adding a bigger or second tank. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Condenser pump idea

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:23 pm

I am very interested to learn if this works or not, it could be a great idea for a very compact, neat cooling set up.
Urrazeb

Postby Kimbo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:46 pm

Check out WineGlass's videos, it works just fine.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:48 pm

Not you ya twit 8-} I meant the OP :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: I have set up the radiator and fan, don't you remember? I told you at the last WABS Piss Up! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Urrazeb

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:51 pm

In all honesty :text-lol: Water where I am cost about 28c per 1000l,when I'm running my still with cooling system attached
I've still got to refill the shuttle 3 times :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: and I'm using a truck radiator and a thermo fan on both sides......
When you work it out,at the cost of 28cents per 1000l,compared to the cost of aquarium coolers etc it ain't that much hey :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Try putting a shroud on it cupcake, helped mine! :handgestures-thumbupleft: I found the air was being sucked straight from the open instead of being forced to pass through the radiator.
Urrazeb

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:10 pm

There's a shroud on both sides :teasing-neener: And where would I find a proper shroud to fit a T3 Bedford :laughing-rolling: The radiator was the only useful thing I've found from said Bedford....or any Bedford for that matter :D
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Condenser pump idea

Postby Lupus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:24 pm

Cost of water isn't my main consideration. A set up that can be easily stashed away when not in use is my main objective.

The radiator idea looks great. But without a shed, convincing the boss to have a car radiator in the house is an argument I am not even going to try. I need a get up that can be unpacked and stashed away in a relatively unobtrusive fashion.

However, before asking out on a chiller, two barrels of water is going to be my first priority. But f anyone has any experience of knowledge of aquarium chillers can chime in, it would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Lupus

Postby DisturbedDave » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:00 am

Further thought on this: if you get a 10degree rise in temp on an uncooled system (pumping 500L through condenser and back to storage tank), there's really not a MASSIVE heat load coming from the condenser, nothing an aquarium chiller can't handle. Granted, initial outlay would be more. But for a digitally controlled temp for your condenser, giving you optimal output from your still with ease of mind, and to be able to pack it away into a cupboard when done, it might just be worth it.

Seeing as I don't even have a still yet, I can't trial and test, but with potential wholesale access to aquarium gear, I might be able to source them.
DisturbedDave

Postby snoozer » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:04 am

I tried using a plastic 44 as my water tank and it heated up to the point I had to exchange water with a bucket to keep it working on a 50l spirit run. I had hoped the drum would be large enough that the temp wouldn't rise too much, not so.
snoozer

equipment: 60L SS VM 2" SPP 1.3m tower
25L still spirits pot

Condenser pump idea

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:19 am

Please keep us posted if you go this route DD I'm very interested. This could be a way to 'streamline' a set up for tight spaces. Good thinking
Urrazeb

Next

Return to Accessories