water cooling ?

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

water cooling ?

Postby googe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:13 am

Hi all, was wondering if I wrapped my coolent outlet around my gas bottle to cool it a bit ,would there be any safety concernes?. Thanks.
googe

Re: water cooling ?

Postby hubs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:19 pm

I can`t see a problem, but a better idea would be to coil the exit pipe or even the entry pipe in to a bucket of ice.
hubs

Postby googe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:01 pm

Then I'd have to make ice or buy it, I'm not that keen lol. The idea is using the coolness coming off the bottle to cool it, free cooling. My gas bottle gets very cold on spirit runs and gets about 5mm or more of ice on it with a strip run.
googe

Postby hubs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:21 pm

All you can do is try it out, I would. I wouldn`t think the exit water hose get hot enough to worry about, unless the hose gets close to the flame and gets a hole burnt in to it :))
hubs

water cooling ?

Postby Sam. » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:37 pm

Might help cool a little bit but not much as only a small area of hose will be touching the bottle.

May help to warm the bottle a bit during strip runs to pump out a little more gas?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby googe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:26 pm

I use a 44 hubs, you'd be surprised how warm the water gets on warm days doing a strip run. Thats my thinking Sam, 2 birds with one stone thing, I think it was you saying to try keep the bottle warm doing strips. Maybe it map kimbo :think: dunno lol. Copper tube coiled around it might work better hey. Anyway just a thought.
googe

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:39 pm

That'll be a good use of free energy anyways googe. I like it! I use a 45kg bottle and towards the end ill have to give it a shake to get the gas going properly, :think: hmmmmm nice thinking mate 2 in one
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby emptyglass » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:47 pm

If you got that much copper to spare Googe, you could wind a coil and put it in the 44. plumb it with tap water and turn it on when its getting too hot.
Or you could put a cold water add to the bottom of the 44 and skim hot water off the top....
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:43 pm

Or you could wrap your hose around the gas bottle & stick the whole lot in a big bucket of water :clap:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby emptyglass » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:49 pm

Fuck it, just stick the gas bottle in the 44....

It'll run under water....
emptyglass

Postby googe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:46 pm

Hmmm I like them ideas :think:
googe

Postby hubs » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:13 am

I use a 44 gallon drum also googe. It worked all right, but. I balanced a 30 Litre fermenter drum (with tap open) over the edge of the 44 and placed a couple of ice blocks in it towards the end of the cycle. Exit pipe goes in to that and back out to the 44. It cooled the water okay. Just experimenting at the moment, until I get my act together sourcing other equipment.
hubs

Postby Modernity » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:02 am

If you have freezer space you could try freezing a bunch of 2ltr milk containers 3/4 filled with water and salt (1/4 cup per bottle). Drop them one by one into your 25ltr cooling bucket as the run goes along. If you have a deep freezer, my guess is that the ice will be at -12 C to -18 C. Thats a lot of cold stored in just 2ltrs of salty water.
BTW the salt stops the containers from splitting as they freeze.

In theory as the ice melts the water in the container will raise to 0 C and stay at 0 C until all the ice has melted.
Modernity

equipment: I am currently refurbishing a 150 ltr mush tun.
Currently building a 150 ltr oil heated pot still, with 8" copper column.

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:07 am

FFS :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: Water only cost between 20-50cents/1000l what's an extra $ or two when doing a spirit run :think:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:14 am

Cupcake wrote:FFS :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: Water only cost between 20-50cents/1000l what's an extra $ or two when doing a spirit run :think:

Yeah an IBC and $70 bunnings pump works a treat, I get to recycle my 50 cents worth of water :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

water cooling ?

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:18 am

CC I do believe it's not the cost but the scarcity of water, well for me it is anyway. I hate wasting shit
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:35 am

I dont think water supply is much of a problem in QLD at the moment 8-}
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:39 am

Sounds like You got it sorted hubs :handgestures-thumbupleft: . I have zero freezer space mod, I tried that when I first started stilling and I didn't like it cause the output seemed to be all over the place, maybe it was just me. You live in the town with the highest rainfall in Australia don't you cupcake? :)) , you still have to pay water rates? :shock: . Yeah Mac that's the plan when I get my bubbler going , whenever that is :roll: . Im a bit that way to urrzeb . Anyway, I was just looking at my cold gas bottle the other day doing a strip and it came to me and thought I'd ask if it was safe, that's all lol. Thanks for the replies :handgestures-thumbupleft: .
googe

Postby hubs » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:31 pm

I`m getting there googe. Like you, I`m finding a way that suits me and willing to try new ideas ;-)
hubs

Postby Linny » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Hey had a barney with the Mrs today about the water bill (its come in by about $1000 higher) .... ive got a tank that i already use thats suppost to be feeding the back tap (therefore the argument). but she doesnt belive me ,,,, so i plan to put my own pump and run it externally....

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_pro ... asc&page=8

is this what you guys are talking about ?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_pro ... asc&page=8

I just read the water site, 1 kL = $2.08 , so thats about 480,000 L .... im guessing i use 180L per run, which means i must have ran the still 2666 times,,,, do you think im underestimating on the usage per run ?
Last edited by Linny on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Next

Return to Accessories