mini quad thumper

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

mini quad thumper

Postby googe » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:12 pm

Hello folks, I want to build a thumper over Easter and need some advice. I know theres not much talk of them here but someone will hopefully help, I want to do it 4', what sort of bath depths do I need?. The design I want to use will need multipe small down comers instead of a single large one, will this be a problem?. is there a guide for what size riser hole to plate size I should follow?. Is there anything else I need to know that I havnt thought of?. Thanks for any help.

Cheers
googe

Re: mini quad thumper

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:32 pm

Multiple external down comers would look cool and save on internal real estate
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby emptyglass » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:33 pm

Not sure what your asking googe.
Thumpers are usually sized by the size of the boiler, and dont have plates, 1/3 boiler size IIRC.
Mini thumpers are used by many, but they are just a container thats in line, vapor goes to the bottom of the container, through the thumper charge, then out again.

Not sure how you would include a plate?
emptyglass

Postby googe » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:22 pm

That would be cool yummy, but I want this simple cause once I start stuffing around with it it will end up like my bubbler build!! :laughing-rolling: . Thanks empty, yeah I mean an inline one, sorry should have said. Ill need a plate to hold the bath?. I want to make another modular section and turn it into a thumper, like Mac does. Am I imagining this or what?. Will it work as a thumper?. Cheers
googe

Postby emptyglass » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:59 pm

Ok, I get you now
emptyglass

Postby googe » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:42 pm

Sorry for the confusion mate.
googe

Postby emptyglass » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:09 pm

emptyglass

Postby emptyglass » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:22 pm

This is the rest of LWTCS's (Larry, in the vid) thread. The links to the next parts are in it.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=24355
emptyglass

Postby kelbygreen » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:30 pm

why not just make another plate? or is there a massive difference this will make?
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby googe » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:35 pm

I appreciate that thanks empty. That rock dudes still is awesome, never seen it before. Ill have a look at the vid when I get home, takes for ever on the phone.
googe

Postby emptyglass » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:52 pm

Rockchuckers still is a thump tower, that is, its a series of vertical thumpers. Very nice still, check out the condenser plumbing.
Grandad's is a copy of Larry's, but he was using an extra screen and corn on the top to enhance the flavor, a "corn basket" if you like (good for prison juice)
Larry's still is also a thump tower, with a "humper thumper". Its designed to liberate the alcohol into the thumper then up the the thump tower.
Mac also uses/used one, he could tell you a bit (not sure if he even owns a still at the moment :D )

Maybe your thinking of bubble balls? They use plates.
If so there are a few threads around on them

EDIT; added spaces, full stops and other shit.
emptyglass

Postby googe » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:36 pm

Yeah that condenser plumbing did my head in!, he certainly thought about what he was doing, would be so nice to have that sort of thinking and be able to build it!. Ill have a better read tomorrow. Granddads confused me a bit, need better pics. The vid should clear things up. Thanks again.
googe

Postby googe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Here's a pic of what I ment, should have posted it first 8-} . The downcomers are not the right length. Hence the title name ;-) . Lots of reading on my part before I solder anything by the looks of it :sad:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Postby MacStill » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:51 pm

I dont think ply wood is a suitable material for a distillation tray, but the quad thump set up looks cool.

:teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm

I better watch out, crow might steal that idea :laughing-rolling:
googe

Postby MacStill » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:00 pm

googe wrote:I better watch out, crow might steal that idea :laughing-rolling:

OH NO :angry-banghead: FFS now you've done it :naughty:

Maybe he wont see this post :pray:

:))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:29 pm

Ok, I've had a rethink and rebuild. I think i would get better vapor distribution this way. I'd like some feed back please, would I need a riser for this?. I also was considering I could use this as a bubble tray too?. I have put the tee's in different configurations, which one do you think would work better?. Downcomer will be in the same place as the first design I first posted above. Thanks for any feed back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Postby 1 2many » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:58 pm

G'day googe i would guess that horizontaly the vapour is only going go up so if you had your T's just below bath level isn't that what your trying to achieve with a bubbler ?
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Gas on » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:29 am

G'day Googe,
Have you thought about droping the "t"s & whacking some slightly bigger elbows in there instead?
That would be sweet!
I might go make 1!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Gas on

equipment: baked beans & rum

arfa 5 star bubbler

Postby bt1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:54 am

Googe,
How do you intend with this design to get T's into the fluid bath or achieve a vapour lock with the T's if using as a cap?

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Next

Return to Accessories