Indoor cooling drum setup

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Re: Indoor cooling drum setup

Postby Frothwizard » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:13 pm

I've got a 750 Watt submersible cycling through 200L of water in a Pickle Drum.

Squirts water out of the lei-big like you wouldn't believe. Not strong enough to break the copper welds though.
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Indoor cooling drum setup

Postby Dusty_ben » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:46 pm

I have a 30l ss reflux and I've found slowing the water down to about half litre a min cools it better. Am I imagining things and running fast does the same job?
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Postby CHEROKEE » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:53 pm

When I was a full time T-500 person, with the typical cooling temperature problems, trying to confine it to the second distillation temps of 55/60 degrees Celsius for optimal quality and purity, I had to use two 60 litre water containers on a (Y) connection two valve connector to the Colum. (ALL new) I used each 60 litre drum for only one hour, then switched the pump and valve over for continuous flow, with very little temperature variations. If it was a hot day, on every hour for each 60 litre drum I would introduce two kg of ice (It does help). If to only use one 60 litre drum, after two hours the water temp is to high and you loose the margin in the regulator. (Your fucked). Two tanks with fucking around is better than average alcohol. I'm glad I've move on to bigger and better things and using grains. The journey continues using a fractionating still and of course cuts, which makes sense.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
CHEROKEE

equipment: FSD Mac-4 SSG 4 Plate 6 inch Bubbler on a 80 Litre, 6000 Watt Keg Boiler.
IBC cooling system utilising a 4 inch submersible bore pump.

Postby db1979 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:01 am

Dusty_ben wrote:I have a 30l ss reflux and I've found slowing the water down to about half litre a min cools it better. Am I imagining things and running fast does the same job?

Not sure but I know that there are different flow properties for fluids at different speeds. Up to a certain flow rate water will have laminar flow through a tube where a layer of fluid adheres losely to the surface while the rest rushes past. Go faster and you get turbulent flow throughout the entire cross-section. Perhaps what you're seeing is the difference between turbulent flow and laminar flow in your condenser. I'm guessing then that laminar flow must be better for heat transfer. I did study this stuff years ago but I haven't had to use it since 1999. Surely someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby res » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:05 am

Can't see the pics either :crying-blue: And mac was it my imagination or were you promising a fancy bubbler plumbing run down some weeks back :pray:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby Muppet » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:41 am

I was thinking two 190l olive barrels (I can get em cheap) n just pumping from one to the other. Keeping the feed cool and even then just pump the hot water to the empty one, then vise versa for the next run
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby CHEROKEE » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:05 am

This was my old system on the kitchen bench, can't complain.
CHEROKEE

equipment: FSD Mac-4 SSG 4 Plate 6 inch Bubbler on a 80 Litre, 6000 Watt Keg Boiler.
IBC cooling system utilising a 4 inch submersible bore pump.

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:57 pm

res wrote:Can't see the pics either :crying-blue: And mac was it my imagination or were you promising a fancy bubbler plumbing run down some weeks back :pray:

Dont need anything fancy mate, just a heap of water to start, then a pump, then a return route. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby res » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:34 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
res wrote:Can't see the pics either :crying-blue: And mac was it my imagination or were you promising a fancy bubbler plumbing run down some weeks back :pray:

Dont need anything fancy mate, just a heap of water to start, then a pump, then a return route. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers guys, figured that :handgestures-thumbupleft: , but you never can tell when old mac is going to pull a rabbit out of his hat; case in point: Docs FSD Carter Head.:wtf:
Sometimes worth a look :D
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Previous

Return to Accessories