Who's a Pretty Parrot

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Who's a Pretty Parrot

Postby Heffers » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:11 am

Slapped this together while I was playing with my pot still build. My first one ever so I had to show it off. :)

I am drying a nice little slab of gum at the moment which I will set the parrot into, should look good. I'll repost some pics when done.

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Re: Who's a Pretty Parrot

Postby MacStill » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:25 am

Looks like you're getting the hang of soldering stuff together pretty good :D

One thing to consider when making a parrot is the amount of alcohol it's going to hold, ideally the less the better.

Reason being that it will register changes in ABV a lot quicker, and this will allow tighter cuts when doing a spirit run.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Heffers » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:42 am

Yeah, I was concious of that when I was cutting it up. I don't think that it is a big as the photos make it look. It holds bang on 150mL which I didn't think was too bad. How does this compare with others?

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby reknaw » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:46 am

Looks good :) If you want to cut down on the volume the parrot is going to hold as McStill said get some stripped copper wire and stick some in there, they had heaps at united scrap on Sat.
reknaw

Postby reknaw » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:50 am

Can Iask how much the copper fittings cost and did you get them at bunnings?? It looks like 3/8 th and 25 mm?

Cheers
reknaw

Postby MacStill » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:53 am

Just checked my parrot and it holds 78mls ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Heffers » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:04 am

McStill wrote:Just checked my parrot and it holds 78mls ;)

Back to the drawing board for me then. Reckon that this one might see its way to ebay.

Spud1700 wrote:Can Iask how much the copper fittings cost and did you get them at bunnings?? It looks like 3/8 th and 25 mm?

Cheers

The tube (1/2 and 25mm) came from united metals and the fittings I got from Reece. Sorry, can't tell you what they cost, the Minister for War and Finance reads these pages occasionally :shock: :? :o .

Truthfully I try not to keep records of what I spend on hobbies as I probably wouldn't want to know the total. Theres only 1 end cap and two reducers so I doubt if the whole thing cost me any more than $25 or $30 to make.

Speaking of united metals, It is only 5 mins from work so I drop in occasionally. The copper bin was fairly bare the other day but in the bottom was a whole shit tin of different reducers and bends and a big coil of 1/4 tube, $30 later and two arms full of copper I was outta there. ;)

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby MacStill » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:16 am

Heffers wrote:
McStill wrote:Just checked my parrot and it holds 78mls ;)

Back to the drawing board for me then. Reckon that this one might see its way to ebay.

Cheers, Heffers

I wouldnt chuck it just yet, if you cut it down and use 3/8 tube for the inlet tube it will hold heaps less but as it is it would be fine for stripping runs ;)

BTW I only use the smallest alcometers I can find for a parrot, it just occurred to me that your probably using the large size and built your parrot to fit it, the ones I use are only 200ml long.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Heffers » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:27 am

McStill wrote: BTW I only use the smallest alcometers I can find for a parrot, it just occurred to me that your probably using the large size and built your parrot to fit it, the ones I use are only 200ml long.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of those. Thanks mate.

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby reknaw » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:41 am

I am the same and have one of the bigger alcometers, need to get a smaller one.
reknaw

Postby bundy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:05 pm

the small alcometer i have is 185mm long supplied by Brew Cellar, i bought it from my local HB shop.
bundy

equipment: Double reducer reflux still
pot still
both on 25lt electric boiler

Postby chrisc » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:03 am

Heffers wrote:
McStill wrote: BTW I only use the smallest alcometers I can find for a parrot, it just occurred to me that your probably using the large size and built your parrot to fit it, the ones I use are only 200ml long.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of those. Thanks mate.

Cheers, Heffers

where are you located my hbs has them i think 10 buks might actually be less but they have a whole box of them if its feasible i will grab one for you and post wrapped up in Styrofoam at your expense
chrisc

equipment: 50l keg the still i was using on it was stolen so using my first still on a 50l boiler its just a basic ss pot still nothing great but gets me through while i get the copper togetther to make a new one i only use pot stills as im a whisky drinker

Return to Accessories