Laser Infrared Digital Temperature Gun's

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Laser Infrared Digital Temperature Gun's

Postby Grandvewe » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:35 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned before...
I have just bought myself a "Laser Infrared Digital Temperature Gun" off ebay for as little as $12
I was thinking the other day, why would you want to install temperature guages on everything you have eg, Boiler, still, fermenters etc, When you can use this gun and shoot it at any of these items to get instant and accurate readings for a fraction of the cost.

Again just thought id share a piece of equipment that I think all distillers should own.
Does anyone know of any issues with this way of temp measurement?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Handheld-Non ... 089&_uhb=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grandvewe

equipment: FSD Pot still off a 50L Keg with gin basket

Re: Laser Infrared Digital Temperature Gun's

Postby blond.chap » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:40 pm

They're handy devices, but there are couple of issues I see with these things:
- The external temperature of a piece of equipment (RC, coolant line, etc) isn't necessarily the same as the internal vapour/water temperature
- I believe they rely on knowing the emissivity of the material that you're looking at, unless there's some automatic detection that I'm not aware of

It'd be handy for a general indication, but I don't imagine it will give a good level of accuracy in that 78-80 degC range.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Phototropin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:19 pm

I have a similar device that I use at work. You will have issues trying to measure reflective surfaces like SS boilers, if you use the default emmissivity of (usually) 0.95. You can adjust the emmissivity, but it's difficult to know the value you should use as e.g. "stainless" can vary alot due to surface treatment, polished vs non-polished, etc.

I have had some success measuring shiny hot-plate surfaces by sticking a piece of black card to the surface, and measuring that.

But they are pretty cool, you'll find yourself walking around measuring all kinds of stuff :)
Phototropin

equipment: Nothing yet, still in the research phase.

Postby blond.chap » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:25 pm

Handy resource for you: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/emissivity-coefficients-d_447.html

The emissivity will totally change the result, note that polished copper is about 0.04 and heavily oxidised copper is 0.78 (scale is 0-1), big difference.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby 1 2many » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:25 pm

:handgestures-thumbdown: :handgestures-thumbdown:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Grandvewe » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks Phototropin and BlondeChap,
That is extremely useful info from both of you. I would have had no idea of the inaccuracies of different metals and reflective surfaces.

I own a highly polished FSD SS pot still so maybe if I stick a small piece of black duck tape in the areas I want readings from on my still, this may work?

And at the same time calibrate the temp gun to suit Sainless steel to offset the Emissivity coefficient by 0.075 than it would be fairly accurate?
Grandvewe

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:13 pm

For $12 I would be wondering about the items accuracy to start with :think:

Try it on boiling water and see if it reads 100 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby snapperhead » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:04 am

I have one too, I have found that they are only good for reading temps off matt surfaces. Very handy to have all the same.
snapperhead

equipment: Currently building an artisan copper alembic pot of approx 60 litres. more planned, but first things first.

Postby Bushy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:21 am

Boily's use these things all the time. And yeah if it's somethin shiny you get a low wrong reading. But now I can look around and say it's because it's got a high emmisivity :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Love it. You learn somethin new every day. Unfortunately I seem to forget somethin every day as well. At least it's on par.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Ryno » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:13 pm

Grandvewe I borrowed a good one from a mate. Didn't work because of all the reasons above. I tried the mat sticker and paint and still found there was about 3 degrees difference, so not sure which of those two methods is more accurate. That aside the biggest issue for me was getting the temp just above the RC. When this increases by about 3 degrees it is a sure sign your in starting in the tails. Unfortunately you cant tell that temperature from the surface because there is a lag in the change in temperature from the vapour inside to the stainless steel casing.

It is good for checking the temperature on your dogs nuts while he is sleeping though
Ryno

equipment: 100 litre SS boiler
6 inch FSD (Blockhead) 4 Bubble Plate Still
500 mm packed section (filled with copper)
FSD Carter head on SS 60 litre boiler

Postby MacStill » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Ryno wrote:
It is good for checking the temperature on your dogs nuts while he is sleeping though

Now that I do find interesting :-B

Is there much temp difference between AM & PM ?

And what's the maximum distance you can check this, I'd be able to check Zak's from 2km away if the temp gun was capable :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:40 pm

sounds to me you jokers are pretty fucking hung up on temps. I found the back of my hand is a good indicator, if the column hot the stills running if its stone cold probably its not :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Kimbo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:28 pm

Ryno wrote:

Hmmm! :think: Does that go for humidity detectors too?
Might have to try that one on the missus
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Grandvewe » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:00 am

Thanks for ya info Ryno, very helpful knowledge.
I guess if nothing else, it will b useful for checking fermentation temp................and dog balls :teasing-nutkick:
Grandvewe

Return to Accessories