Good heating system for the fermentors

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Good heating system for the fermentors

Postby rumby » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:55 pm

I am currently using a belt heater to keep my washs fermenting, however I have up to 5 X 80l fermentors going at once and cant justify buying five belt heaters or pay all the electricity.

Has anyone got a cheap alternative to getting my little puppies bubbling in the this colder weather.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Re: Good heating system for the fermentors

Postby rumby » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:59 pm

I have already suggested to the wife, they sleep in our bed, with the dogs aswell, would keep them snugg and bubbly. But I might find myself sleeping downstairs on the cold concrete with a belt heater for a blanket.
rumby

Postby maheel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 pm

you could go get some big cardboard boxes and make a big inclosure to cover them and contain the heat? mountain bike boxes maybe two layers?
wrap them up as well? big blanket over the top of them then box over the top
use one heat source and it should keep them all warm ?

i have used removal boxes over 25L ones and that helped

make sure you keep them off thew cold ground, use a bit of cardboard under them as concrete will suck the heat out of them if on the ground
maheel

Postby Kimbo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:41 pm

Hey Rumby,
This one cost me $10, if your interested, i can post more pics

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=365#p3435
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Frank » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:10 pm

Hey Rumby
I've only got 30l fermenters but two really good insulating 'wraps' I have put on mine come from things you sleep on....

1. a (secondhand, of course :lol: ) sheepswool mattress underlay. You'd need Queen/Kingsizes at least and wrapped with rope or some such thing. I know you don't usually find such things simply 'lying around the place' but it works REALLY well if heat is kept in from the first couple of days onwards. Just make sure you get all required permissions first!!!
2. get some of those camping foam underlays you sleep on in tents etc and customise them to fit each fermenter. They have quite efficient insulating properties and are light/cheap and reusable.

Otherwise I've found a heater pad always seems to work better than a belt (heat rises afterall) and make sure the lids/tops are covered fairly snugly too. Depending on the yeast used, there's no real harm upping the start temp a few degrees C at this time of year either.
Frank

Postby rumby » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:55 am

Thanks gent,

I was at the markets this morning & there was a sheep skin underlay, but only read this post when I got home (idiot).
rumby

Postby R-sole » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:34 am

Old quilts dooners and blankets do the same thing mate.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby snig » Fri May 25, 2012 5:57 pm

Was about to chuck away my old woolen underlay!
Will use this to wrap them up now
What are peoples opinion on heat belts/pads?
Apart from building a controlled environment are the $30/40 heat belts you get any good? do they have a thermostat or dont they heat up enough? (24C?)
Do they need extra control?

It's ****ing freezing here in Adelaide today

Snig
snig

equipment: Noob with a turbo 500

Postby Frank » Fri May 25, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi Snig
there's posts around this forum about heating but..no matter...

I recently asked if belts were as good as pads (per watt rating) as I am pretty certain a pad works far better...heat rises afterall.
Anyway, with no thermo on mine its a bit of an issue but I put on of those ac power timers on the switch so it's only going on for a short, prescribed while and, given my fermenters always see the winter sunlight (covered, of course) that's ok here in the vaguely chilly subtropics.

Mind you, IMHO the musts for heating include wrapping and/or creating a 'microclimate'-type arrangement whereby the temp variation is as little as possible. I've seen this include a spare (empty) fridge or freezer with a heat bulb/source and (less fancy) using rocks/concrete or other such heatsinks transferred from the sun during the day, to the fermenters at nightfall.

The other important bit is its far easier if you try to 'maintain' a temp then reheat to it IYKWIM. I keep a temp-insulating cover over the fermenter lid(s) as well and if I start a few washes at once, I keep them together as the combined heat works a treat.
Last edited by Frank on Fri May 25, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank

Postby grumpthehermit » Fri May 25, 2012 6:23 pm

G'day Mate.

I think the pads are around 30 watt and the belts are around 10 watt.

I have heard some prefer the pad, I only have the belts, neither are "controlled".

If you want a controller ( you need to have an electrician wire this or it do it yourself ) check e-bay for a stc1000 otherwise if you want ready to go option check out "microclimate" if you google it you will find them, a simple Ministat 100 will do the job between 19 and 35 degrees up to 100 watt but will cost allot more than an stc1000

Before I bought my controller I just used a 24hr timer and set it to come on for 15 mins an hour to keep my brew in a close range to the temp I was hoping for, this works well, but you will have to trial and error the time on and off to get the temp you want.

EDIT - I also use a foil sunshade for a car windscreen wrapped around the fermenter to keep the heat in, works well for me.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby R-sole » Fri May 25, 2012 9:03 pm

I just use single elctric blankets. Cheap at the bargain joints and come with 4 settings.

Off

:clap:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Fri May 25, 2012 9:03 pm

@ Snig firstly you jokers don't have a fucking idea what freezing is , got to about 4 today but not for long gale force wind and hail rant over . Bud I'm using an electric blanket 20 buck from chicken feed , cheep as shit any of those joints the temps adjustable ect over that I have some sisilation and an old doona over that so warm as toast :handgestures-thumbupleft:
EDIT ha beat me to it while I was typing :roll:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby snig » Fri May 25, 2012 10:31 pm

Well it seemed cold this morning at 6am in a huge shed with nothing but concrete as far as you can see! 4 max sounds harsh tho
Will try the elec blanket for sure sounds like a plan.

cheers for the replies everyone

avagoodweekend :dance:
snig

Postby SBB » Sat May 26, 2012 9:22 am

5Star wrote:I just use single elctric blankets. Cheap at the bargain joints and come with 4 settings.

Off

The KISS method...........works great for me too 5Star
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby bt1 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:20 pm

Just a few thoughts...

Avg blanket runs at between 60 -200w/hr constantly.

It doesn't control regulate heat as temp changes during day/night cycle.

Cost for blanket could up to at full power 4.8 kw hr/day on full more likely about 150W/hr or 3.60 kw hr /day, thats about $1.04 - $1.40 per day

Consider aquarium heaters @ 55W rating. suited for heating up to 50lt volumes. Typically run for approx 2/3 of an hour with temp control. Effective consumption then would be 36W per hour x 2 fermenters , or 1.73 kw-hr per day or .50c per day.

Still wrap them up and ensure they're snug but with the added advantage of temp control seems like the go...especially as carbon tax is expected to add +1/3 costs to power.

At a $1 a day saving you'd only need to be fermenting for 7 weeks to get the heaters to break even on costs.

Do your own numbers here;
calc
http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/electric.cgi

Aust wide vendor
http://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/AQUA-ONE-GLASS-HEATER-55W-18.5CM-p-7927

Manufacturer specs
http://www.aquaone.co.uk/accessories_heat.php

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Sat May 26, 2012 4:27 pm

yeah bt I've got submersion film development elements somewhere at home they're great , adjustable an cheap to run but do ya think I could find them in Dads shed :-x
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby snig » Sun May 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi again bt1, Thanks for the info
With the aquarium heaters do you just sit it in the wash then leave the lid on loose? with the cord between the fermenter and fermenter lid?
Or do you put a grommet or cable gland in the lid and run the cord thru there? (I think I'd need to put a new plug on to do this)
Also over time does the wash affect the heater? ie. break it down or corrode the heater? Where does it sit in the wash? Not on the bottom with the sediment I guess

Cheers

Snig :-D
snig

Postby R-sole » Sun May 27, 2012 3:36 pm

yes to both questions. you still need to seal the fermenter (specially for beer) and there's a hundred stories of burnt out heaters from crud sticking to them out there.

your mileage may vary.
R-sole

Postby bt1 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:11 pm

Beg to differ,

I've used those aqua one heaters for 4 years without issue. They don't corode at all being mainly pyrex glass shells. There's no crud sticking at all....it's glass....doesn't even need a clean, just pop straight back in to new wash.

I can't speak for other brands never used them. I have a mate who has used the same brand higher capacity in a tropical fish tank for 10 years +...no issues.

I suspend mid brew but deep enough so when yeast is spawning its low enough to sit covered by the wash with the lid ajar...say 5cm variation to final position. Reason being is the requirement to normalise the heater to current wash temp before use. About 5 mins.

Yes i use a gromet through the lid. Sealed up also. Trick is to tac (silicon are same) the electrical cord to the side of the lid to prevent seal being rotated constantly and start to leak.

btw my father used the same set up as one of the genuine home brew pioneers in early 70's for years I have one of his fermeters as a spare and it's still good to go.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby R-sole » Mon May 28, 2012 1:23 am

As i said, ymmv.
R-sole

Next

Return to Accessories