Good heating system for the fermentors

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Re: Good heating system for the fermentors

Postby Brigand » Mon May 28, 2012 10:56 pm

I have been putting fermenters into a fridge while they are @ mid to high 20*C by using a portion of boiling water to make up the volume.

I find the fermentation itself keeps them warm to drop SG most of the way.

I do have a 1000w floor heater installed in one fridge that's wired up to a STC-1000 dialled in @ 26.5*C

Runs for 10-15 secs very rarely.

I think the trick is to get the volume up to where you want fermentation to take place when the yeast is pitched and between fridge insulation and the fermenters thermal mass, the fermentation should hold a reasonable temp

I do 46L batches in 60L fermenters which take up a significant chunk of the fridges internal space

Cheers
Brigand

equipment: 4" SS 6 Plate Bubbler
2" VM 1500mm Packed
2" Pot 500mm
5L Copper Alembic

Re: Good heating system for the fermentors

Postby Goldie » Mon May 28, 2012 11:28 pm

[quote="5Star"]I just use single elctric blankets. Cheap at the bargain joints and come with 4 settings.

This is what I use, but I also use a timer for the power socket so the blankets are only one during the night then shut off during the day.
I also wrap them in a movers blanket and they sit inside an old wardrobe that I have lined with some salvaged camping foam.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Previous

Return to Accessories