chiller plate vs RC

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

chiller plate vs RC

Postby bt1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:42 am

Howdy,

Been more than happy running real small RC "TC" "tuna can" sized on glass stills. More the adequate to hold down the whole column in full reflux.

Has anyone got any thoughts on going smaller a chiller plate style 2cm say same 9 tube x 3/4" design...reckon it would be enough to play with abv's during a run.

I'm also a fan of bleeding off heads early as they rise so some by pass to PC would be welcomed not a hassle.

comments?

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: chiller plate vs RC

Postby db1979 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:59 am

I think it's an interesting idea but I wonder if you push the RC too close to its lower limits you might have an RC that can handle some washes but not others... Or maybe not enough congeners would get knocked down in the early stages when you want full reflux and you'd end up with more in the heads. Maybe. I guess you're in a great position to try it since you've already got RCs of different sizes.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Accessories