best place to buy carbon Filters

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Re: best place to buy carbon Filters

Postby 1 2many » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:05 pm

the Doctor wrote:
1 2many wrote:Thank you Doc your answers and advice are very much appreciated , i think i know how to go about this now but have one more question and that is do you have to wash every time you treat a batch or can you do more than one , basically how do you know when the carbon is spent and can't treat anymore without a wash :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Mate there is no hard and fast rule. You can use it more than once I probably put about 80 liters of 55% through ours between each cleaning. It will start to smell when it builds up congeners. So we clean every week. The smell becomes pretty obvious with overuse... Also I have failed to mention that before using the carbon after cleaning or when new make sure you hydrate with water and wet it down...this does two things, it packs down the voids and air holes and carries down any carbon dust which has built up.
Doc

Cheers Doc time to hassle Mac :D
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby gtirdoc » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:12 pm

thank doc and all the rest of you guys for all your help !
gtirdoc

equipment: turbo air sill

Postby Matt S » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:40 pm

Doc,

How to do feel putting a handful of carbon into a 5L demijohn of 55% neutral would work in comparison to what you have described?

Cheers
Matt S

equipment: Pot Still- Mac made
VM Still-Mac made

Postby FireKitty » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Hey Doc,

Any chance you could link/post up a pic of the kind of carbon you use? Have been planning on filtering my neutral then reactivating the carbon, however the carbon from my LHBS is TINY, so am wondering if boiling it would disintegrate it? Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
FireKitty

equipment: Ultra Pure reflux still with 30L boiler

Postby the Doctor » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:20 pm

Mate it is a coconut carbon from a chemical suppliers...I have no idea anymore what the brand was ...but it was just granulated regular coconut...I have been using the same filtering carbon for years now, so cannot remember, sorry.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby MacStill » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:51 pm

I've posted this pic before, but thought I'd post it again to show you all something I'm working on.

20131009_131447.jpg

I am about to order in a half dozen for members, they will be fitted with a sanitary SS tri clamp valve.

These are a pretty big unit being 6" at the top and should hold a fair amount of product for filtering, I'm also looking at a wall mounting system for these and will let you all know what I come up with..... Keep an eye on my commercial section for more updates, I dont want to clog general forum threads with what could be seen as advertising.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby the Doctor » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Mac That is pretty much what I have..it has served me well for over a year now it is excellent...what I like is that it can be expanded so easily...I think my new 8 inch FSD bubbler will certainly mean a little expansion on the current filter... I think I might put a 180 degree and a second run...I run mine at about 20 degrees off horizontal and have a big reservoir to ensure that it stays thoroughly wet all the way through. My filter is too tall to run vertical... The filter you show in the photo is the ultimate filter IMO... A good trick when you first load the filter is to shut the bottom tap to hold the product in...then give the filter a light tap with a small (hobbyist) size rubber mallet...this will get all the air bubbles out and ensure that the whole lot of the carbon gets used.Cheers.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby CHEROKEE » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:20 pm

The ideas and products just keep coming and it was only a couple of weeks ago the Carter Head was launched. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
CHEROKEE

equipment: FSD Mac-4 SSG 4 Plate 6 inch Bubbler on a 80 Litre, 6000 Watt Keg Boiler.
IBC cooling system utilising a 4 inch submersible bore pump.

Postby gad » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:48 am

Just wondering if there would be any issues if one was to make one of these from bits & pieces of copper / brass lying around? (brass being an old small flower pot that will sit on top)

Would you need to soak insides with a vinegar/citric acid/water mixture, then flush with water, add carbon, then flush with water again before every neutral wash you filter?

Thanks
gad

equipment: pre 2005 - 25L Reflux / Pot Still,
Mar 2019 - 1.5" Reflux Still.
Aug 2019 - 2" self built Reflux / Pot still.
50L Keg boiler.

Postby the Doctor » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:06 am

gad wrote:Just wondering if there would be any issues if one was to make one of these from bits & pieces of copper / brass lying around? (brass being an old small flower pot that will sit on top)

Would you need to soak insides with a vinegar/citric acid/water mixture, then flush with water, add carbon, then flush with water again before every neutral wash you filter?

Thanks

Mate there is absolutely no problem with copper... my knowledge of metallurgy is very limited but there are some issues with brass ( containing lead I believe) perhaps the still builders can clear this up. Cheers.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby JayD » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:10 am

I dont see any issues other than keeping the copper clean, I would not use the old brass flower pot as it may not comply to potable water supply standards...and only use lead free solder.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby the Doctor » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:33 am

JayD wrote:I dont see any issues other than keeping the copper clean, I would not use the old brass flower pot as it may not comply to potable water supply standards...and only use lead free solder.

Thanks for clearing that up Jay......I am not the sharpest tool in the metalwork shed.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby gad » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Thanks guys .... wonder if the wife has an old copper pot in a cupboard somewhere
gad

50L Keg boiler.

Postby the Doctor » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:24 pm

Matt S wrote:Doc,

How to do feel putting a handful of carbon into a 5L demijohn of 55% neutral would work in comparison to what you have described?

Cheers

I apologise mate I missed your post, so sorry.... I have never tried this method but know that others have used it with some success. Perhaps someone may come to my assistance here and let us know how this works for you. Again sorry to have missed the post.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Matt S » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Hey Doc,

No worries mate! Thanks for your reply. I have been using this method for a bit now, and it works, but I don't know how it compares to your method. I guess I will have to see for myself :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers and thanks
Matt S

equipment: Pot Still- Mac made
VM Still-Mac made

Postby Sam. » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:50 am

gad wrote:Thanks guys .... wonder if the wife has an old copper pot in a cupboard somewhere

You will find most old copper pots etc will be joined with lead based solder :doh:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby gad » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:02 am

I have a ss pot that the handle broke off (which the wife doesn't want) but will be keeping my eye out for something better.
I will keep that in mind, thank you.
gad

50L Keg boiler.

Previous

Return to Accessories