Parrot volume

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Parrot volume

Postby CH3CH2OH » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:31 am

What are people using to decrease the volume of distilate stored in an inline parrot?

have a basic design with a drain valve at the bottom of body tube

inline.jpg

A 1/2" fill tube from the condenser down to the parrot body and the volume in the 1" body tube could add up to a fair bit of product held in the parrot

Has anyone tried bits of ss scrubbies in the fill tube?

Any other ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Re: Parrot volume

Postby the Doctor » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:45 am

Hey CH The idea of using a bit of scrubby in the bottom of the parrot is a good one and one I use mostly to prevent me breaking my alcometer if it is dropped in to the tube ( a certification certificate for my alcometers is $380 ) The scrubbie is cheap insurance against breaking the alcometer if it is dropped into an unfilled tube.... So cheap insurance methinks.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby CH3CH2OH » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks doc

Already have that in the bottom of the body tube.

I am looking at filling up the other tube that the distillate flows into from the condenser to fill up the parrot. Trying to decrease the amount of liquid in the parrot and since the liquid in the fill tube is the same level as the top of the body tube by filling the fill tube with something like scubbies their should be less volume held in the parrot
CH3CH2OH

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:45 am

To start, you could use 3/8" pipe for the fill tube...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby the Doctor » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:00 am

So sorry CH I misread the post... So Scrubbers are largely air with a bit of SS... I will try to think of an alternative which will bulk out the space. Cheers.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Bootross » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Maybe you could slip some stripped and cleaned copper wire in there, you could add or remove strands until you got the balance between volume reduction and flow restriction dialled in. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bootross

equipment: Still spirits super reflux on loan from a mate.

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:To start, you could use 3/8" pipe for the fill tube...

:text-imwithstupid:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Smbjk » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:54 pm

I'm going with 1/4" tube from the still and 3/4"pipe as the main tube. Fits the hbs alcoholmeter perfectly :D
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby CH3CH2OH » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:40 pm

I use an alcometer that I inherited from my father, the one he used to use. Because of the dimensions I need to go with a 1" body tube and want the rigidity of the 1/2 to support it. This is why I want to fill up the tube to reduce the volume, not necessary but thought I'd try to reduce the volume a bit.

Call me sentimental but I really want to use his alcometer with this new bubbler and toast a drop or two to him as I watch the 95% pour out of the parrot!!!

I like the copper wire idea, i'll give it a try and see how it goes
CH3CH2OH

Postby CH3CH2OH » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:19 pm

what is the consensus on 3/4" body tube?

too narrow causing bobbing alcometer ?
CH3CH2OH

Postby Dominator » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Yeah thats the consensus. I used 7/8 and I would not go any smaller than that.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby bt1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Howdy,

std. alco needs 1" to avoid hydraulic effects and false readings. It also needs to be run at 20c normal meter calibration temp.

With minimal effort 1/4" fill tube and a body only just capable of holding the alco at 98% mark(no droppies here) should be able to get volume under 65ml that's about <1.5 min lag for total change and about 20 secs for trend@20% at a very avg 2.5lt/hr....well fast enough even for us outside runners.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Brendan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Hey CH,

If you have a look at my build thread, you'll see I bought the smallest alcometer available (130mm long), and custom built my parrot around that. With designing this parrot down to the very minimum to take the alcometer smoothly, and limit volume, I was able to get down to about 70ml volume (similar to bt's 65ml).

If you are determined to use a larger alcometer, the price you will have to pay is a larger volume with greater lag time in output reactions. My calculated volume with a larger alcometer was in the order of 300ml, so 4x what I have designed it to now...

And 3/4" is too small for the body tube...it will bob up and down and be pointless...just stick with the 1". You can always use a smaller alcometer on the still, and use your Dad's larger one for testing in a glass beaker/flask...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Bushy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:47 pm

Brendan wrote:Hey CH,

If you have a look at my build thread, you'll see I bought the smallest alcometer available (130mm long), and custom built my parrot around that. With designing this parrot down to the very minimum to take the alcometer smoothly, and limit volume, I was able to get down to about 70ml volume (similar to bt's 65ml).

If you are determined to use a larger alcometer, the price you will have to pay is a larger volume with greater lag time in output reactions. My calculated volume with a larger alcometer was in the order of 300ml, so 4x what I have designed it to now...

And 3/4" is too small for the body tube...it will bob up and down and be pointless...just stick with the 1". You can always use a smaller alcometer on the still, and use your Dad's larger one for testing in a glass beaker/flask...

:text-+1:
And at the end of the day you blokes are splittin hairs. I see parrots with bleed valves, parrots that are too small and parrots that just do the job. It doesn't matter because yr cut jars are gonna sort it all out. Personally don't even use an alcymeter any more.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Brendan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Bushy wrote: :text-+1:
And at the end of the day you blokes are splittin hairs. I see parrots with bleed valves, parrots that are too small and parrots that just do the job. It doesn't matter because yr cut jars are gonna sort it all out. Personally don't even use an alcymeter any more.

Yeah I agree bushy. I really just minimised mine as a design challenge I guess...but unless you're separating for 96%ABV, what's the matter of an extra 100ml volume...I'm learning that now with running flavoured spirits, where you take a fairly wide cut anyway...

Do whatever pleases you :-D
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Return to Accessories