Bottles - Custom or otherwise

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Postby Frothwizard » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:01 am

Hi Lads,

I've been scouring the web for a place that does custom glassware (preferably in S.A but anywhere in Aust that ships will do). And as I only want 12-24 of the things, it's becoming very difficult to find anyone who can fill that need.

I've looked at plasdene.com and submitted inquiries about some of their bottles that DIDN'T have a minimum order and they promptly ignore my emails.

Everywhere else that sells decent looking spirit bottles will only order them in packs of 100000000000000000000000000000. (Slight exaggeration but you get the point).

They don't need to be fancy, or even custom, I just want to buy spirit bottles that seal properly for a decent price and with no minimum order.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
FW
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Re: Bottles - Custom or otherwise

Postby res » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:09 am

I manage a bar and have been frugally saving bottles for ages now, It's not as easy as it sounds :teasing-blah: But my local HBS sells em pretty cheap with no minimum, Grain and Grape, in Melbourne though. I've also seen lots of bottles on eBay. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby Frothwizard » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:12 am

LX77 wrote:There are heaps of people selling used Jack Daniels bottles on Gumtree.
Saw an ad for 50 empties for $30 the other day.
You could soak them and remove the labels.

I did think of this. Unfortunately within 50Km of Adelaide there appears to be nothing but breast pumps and barbeques as far as the eye can see.
Frothwizard

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:23 am

I collect Jim Beam Devil's Cut bottles, because there is no markings on the glass, unlike most spirit bottles. I just use normal Beam bottles for most of my drink so far, but I'll use the Devil's bottles with custom labels for special batches eventually...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby djfrestyla » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:51 pm

go and see the local pubs, clubs, etc, they are all just tossing them away, and most will have no problems saving them up.
I leave a half doz milk crates with them, and take what's full at the end of weekend, the staff and owners are more than obliging once they get some samples :)
I have a similar thing happening with the local refrigeration / air-con guys, I have free range on their scrap bins, for parts to build my "copper garden ornaments" & "magic fountains" ( these fountains are magic, hook hose up, plug in technology, Whiskey Waterfall :))
I now have arrangements with a local supermarket for a good discount on sugar, yeast
The local baker gets me yeast at a great discount too ^:)^
Its amazing what a bit of barter can achieve.
djfrestyla

equipment: Nixon Stone, Valve reflux on a 55L electric keg (retired)
2"Pot Still (retired)
4"Copper Bubbler, W/Lava Packed section.

Postby C2H6O » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:03 pm

Wine bottles are always a good option... I collect them off friends but if you want everything all uniform you can always buy full dirt cheap wine http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0013-241 ... 3?spr=true it will prob taste like vinegar but you could always run it through the still and make some fortified wine or something.
The wine i put up is just an example and might go up in price but i have seen plenty go off here for $9 a case, PLUS $20 postage.
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby jim » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:04 pm

My HBS stocks t-corks which fit in most bottles, and dresses them up nicely while eliminating the worry of contaminating your spirit with plastic from a cap.

I like to use Bickford's bottles, which look nice, and my wife and kid like the cordial. However they do have Bickford's embossed on the glass.
jim

equipment: Modular 3" diameter VM/LM/pot still.

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks for mentioning the T corks, I'll buy a bag of them for my 'special' batches I think.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby res » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:53 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:I collect Jim Beam Devil's Cut bottles, because there is no markings on the glass, unlike most spirit bottles. I just use normal Beam bottles for most of my drink so far, but I'll use the Devil's bottles with custom labels for special batches eventually...

I've been savings sailor jerry and laphroaig bottles for this reason (no markings), and they use corks as well. Those are for bourbon and whisky respectively but for my rum it's patron bottles. They say the first bites with the eye, guess it works for drinks as well. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
What program are people using for labels? :think:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby hayden » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:40 pm

Frothwizard wrote:Hi Lads,

I've been scouring the web for a place that does custom glassware (preferably in S.A but anywhere in Aust that ships will do). And as I only want 12-24 of the things, it's becoming very difficult to find anyone who can fill that need.

I've looked at plasdene.com and submitted inquiries about some of their bottles that DIDN'T have a minimum order and they promptly ignore my emails.

Everywhere else that sells decent looking spirit bottles will only order them in packs of 100000000000000000000000000000. (Slight exaggeration but you get the point).

They don't need to be fancy, or even custom, I just want to buy spirit bottles that seal properly for a decent price and with no minimum order.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
FW

Hi I dont use custom spirit bottles for my product however I do use 700 ml (actually about 730 ml) new bottles with new push on and turn to lock and seal enclosures that are totally leak proof. To open the bottle is just a standard twist cap rotation to break the seal. I get them off my son (he has palettes of them and 5 Litre demijohns). I am currently borrowing his potstill while he is setting up a country property so I have been seriously hammering it with Wineo's sugar wash and Odin's cornflake whisky wash ( modified with malt barley and pumperknickel ryebread and Weetbix).
If your interested I can find out what he asks for the bottles (encloseres are included and reuse really well)
hayden

equipment: Pure Distilling Pot still

Postby Frothwizard » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:51 am

hayden wrote:
Frothwizard wrote:Hi Lads,

Any ideas?

Cheers,
FW

Hi I dont use custom spirit bottles for my product however I do use 700 ml (actually about 730 ml) new bottles with new push on and turn to lock and seal enclosures that are totally leak proof. To open the bottle is just a standard twist cap rotation to break the seal. I get them off my son (he has palettes of them and 5 Litre demijohns). I am currently borrowing his potstill while he is setting up a country property so I have been seriously hammering it with Wineo's sugar wash and Odin's cornflake whisky wash ( modified with malt barley and pumperknickel ryebread and Weetbix).
If your interested I can find out what he asks for the bottles (encloseres are included and reuse really well)

Sure, the more information on the subject the better. Where are you guys located in this great country?
Frothwizard

Postby hayden » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:58 am

In Adelaide up around Tea Tree Gully.
hayden

Postby Boomgate » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:44 pm

I bought the last of the square bottles from my local HBS a while ago, all the square style bottles... Cost about $2 each... They are apparently not getting any more in for a while so i am glad I got 8 of them.
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby Frothwizard » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:02 pm

hayden wrote:In Adelaide up around Tea Tree Gully.

That'd be amazing. Demijohns and bottles you say. Definitely pick his brains.
Cheers!!!
Frothwizard

Postby hayden » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:49 pm

Frothwizard wrote:
hayden wrote:In Adelaide up around Tea Tree Gully.

That'd be amazing. Demijohns and bottles you say. Definitely pick his brains.
Cheers!!!

OK Frothwizard got a hold of him. Bottles are $2-00 each with enclosure, or $25 for a box of 16 with enclosures.
Demijohns are $19-00 each with swing top cap included.
He also has refractomers for ABV measurement and glass funnels. I must pay up what I owe him sometime LOL.
The only point of issue with him and me is I hate Turbo's and he swears by them. Foul smelling things while they are fermenting!!!!!! i WILL CONVERT HIM EVENTUALLY.
Cheers

P.S. If your after first grade once used American Oak barrel offcuts (Brown Bros Reds I think) try Tubbies up at Williamstown. 10Kg bag for $8 last time I bought some. They sell the offcuts which are barrel staves for firewood Sob! Pallets full of them ready to go.
hayden

Postby 5 o'clock » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:46 pm

I bought these ones from gala imports.

had to buy a couple of cartons to make postage reasonable but not prohibitive.

http://www.galaimports.biz/bg3001l.html

Can also get glass jars which are good for cuts jars.

There are a few other online wholesalers who will sell in smallish quantities.

Cheers,

Richard
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby Sam. » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:56 pm

I have 9 cartons of freshly emptied wine bottles if you are after something like that and they are free :handgestures-thumbupleft:

They are the darker kind not clear, if you are interested I can post a pic.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:42 pm

Your local bottle recycler in SA will sell you flagons, swing tops and spirit bottles for between 20c and $1. Go see Dave at Magill recyclers or head down to Stepney. They keep them for brewers and tomato sauce makers.

But you can't beat Sam's free offer!!!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Return to Accessories