Bypass for pump

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Bypass for pump

Postby CH3CH2OH » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:18 am

I am using city water supply for cooling but am wasting a lot of water. I recapture some of it to reuse in the next ferment but want to switch to recirc

For those of you who are using a pump with recirculating water for your cooling setup, what are you using for a bypass on your pumps?

With all of the creative and talented people on this forum, I'd love to see some pics of different setups that people have designed to relieve pressure on the pump
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby Milky » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:37 am

I would also be interested in seeing people's setups & solutions. Thanks for asking CH3CH2OH.
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Re: Bypass for pump

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:18 am

I am about to set up a cooling system and I was going to try one of these seeing they are mag drive you don't need a relief valve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:24 am

Also I just picked up a halier 300 aquarium chillier at the recycling centre its apart on the bench at the moment fitting a different thermostat
When its assembled I will take a photo
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Brendan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:17 am

Ill go and take a photo of mine and come back...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Pugdog1 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:19 am

hey mate I had the same question not long ago and I got this together in the end,

pump most of us use
http://www.bunnings.com.au/commercial-e ... p_p4813554

this is the fitting I use and it also doubles as a bypass if you want one (most people run there's with no bypass and have no issues I like to play it safe)
http://www.bunnings.com.au/nylex-multi- ... 8_p3120536
I use a 4 because I also use that fitting for other things but 2 would do fine (I think 2 was fairly similar price tho) then I use hose running from a tank to a 40gal barrel to fill it, then the pump pumps it through the still (using a hose also from the splitter to flow controller) and I feed the outlet pipe to the tank that way there is no issue of having to cool the water of a small collection area u just need to find a nice balance between the pump and the tank filling the barrel.

I use that for my flow controller before the still as it can have a hose fitting screwed into it and I had it on hand
http://www.onestopbarshop.com.au/still- ... 35612.html

not sure if the pump aussie linked would have enough power to push water for what you want tho as they are only designed to cycle wort.

also don't waste your time on aquarium pumps not enough power and wont live long

hope that helped. ill see if I can find some pics for you any question feel free to ask
Pugdog1

equipment: Still spirits Turbo 500 still

Postby Pugdog1 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:29 am

had no pics so I drew a rough one for u

PUMP.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pugdog1

equipment: Still spirits Turbo 500 still

Postby Brendan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:32 am

Here's the pump I use from Bunnings (about $60-$70), dont waste your time on aquarium pumps.

p1.jpg

This is the head piece made up with bits and pieces from the irrigation section in Bunnings. Like Lego for adults, just stand there in the aisle putting pieces together :shifty:
The hose on the right comes up from the pump, then hits the tee and splits. The hose to the still condenser connects in the John Guest fitting at the top, and the bottom hose is the return line to the tank...by turning the green tap on the return line, I can control the amount of pressure to the still and how much is returned to the tank. I usually just have thee tap open, as the pump is very powerful and the still only needs a small fraction of the flow...

p2.jpg

I use a 240L wheelie bin as the recirculating tank. As you can see, the head piece slides over the edge and holds in place. The hose comes up from the pump loops over and around and then splits between the return line and the blue tube to the product condenser.

p3.jpg

p4.jpg
Brendan

Postby CH3CH2OH » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:39 pm

Awesome Brendan

Thanks, that's what I am wanting to see!!! Pics of how people have built their bypass assemblies so I can get some ideas of the how I should build mine
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby SBB » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:05 pm

download/file.php?id=8224&t=1
Ive been using a pump from Bunnings similar to, but not exactly the same for quite a while now, I dont use any sort of bypass. Its still working fine at this point. I think a few other members here are doing the same.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:09 pm

SBB wrote:http://aussiedistiller.com.au/download/file.php?id=8224&t=1
Ive been using a pump from Bunnings similar to, but not exactly the same for quite a while now, I dont use any sort of bypass. Its still working fine at this point. I think a few other members here are doing the same.

:text-+1:

My PC is the cooling bypass, even though those pumps dont need it ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Bypass for pump

Postby Dusty_ben » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Just set up my pump And bypass today. Will try it out next week on a rum strip.

Last edited by MacStill on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: just passing through with the broom ;)
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Postby SBB » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:17 pm

MacStill wrote:My PC is the cooling bypass,

So few words and so much said, why didn't I do that . :))
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:02 pm

SBB wrote:
MacStill wrote:My PC is the cooling bypass,

So few words and so much said, why didn't I do that . :))

I already thought that was how everyone done it :))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Brendan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:42 pm

I have mine setup where the RC is fed with output from PC...it was all that talk about pre heating water to the RC. Might have to try it the other way and see if it performs differently :think:
Brendan

Bypass for pump

Postby Dusty_ben » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Would love to see a diagram of the PC as the bypass. Still learning what everything is called and where's it located
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Postby Brendan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:59 pm

Dusty_ben wrote:Would love to see a diagram of the PC as the bypass. Still learning what everything is called and where's it located

They're just saying that on a plated column, the water out of the pump splits in two...then you control the amount of coolant flow you want to the reflux condenser, and the rest goes through the product condenser...
Brendan

Bypass for pump

Postby Dusty_ben » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:22 am

They're just saying that on a plated column, the water out of the pump splits in two...then you control the amount of coolant flow you want to the reflux condenser, and the rest goes through the product condenser...[/quote]
Cheers makes sense now. Would the same work on a normal reflux still?
Dusty_ben

Postby Brendan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:49 am

Only if it's cooling managed ;-) ---> Types of stills...

But I guess that depends on the power of your pump, but no it's not the same if you're not controlling the flow to the RC and having the rest through the PC...
Brendan

Postby Smbjk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:06 am

When I run my reflux i have the water go into the bottom connection of the liebig then exit from the top connection to the coil the out to the tank.

Always cool water to the pc. I just adust my water flow so the exit water is nice and warm and the coil is just knocking down allthe vapor
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Next

Return to Accessories