My first double wound reflux coil

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

My first double wound reflux coil

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:25 pm

I've just had a crack at making a coil for my reflux column build.

Its 1/4 inch annealed copper, double coiled and ended up being around 240mm long. I used probably just under 4m of copper from the roll.

I used an old broomstick as a mandrel in the vice (around 25mm), marked the length I wanted, added a screw and a few zip ties later I was on my way.

It aint pretty or perfect, but hopefully it will do the job. The copper has a couple of slight indents from turning but hopefully the water will still get through it ok to do the job.

Yeah I know the shed is a right off at the moment with lots of empty bottles, but hopefully for not much longer. Fingers crossed I get my leg out of plaster on Wednesday!! :oops:

And the funky green liquid in the tub on the floor is a couple of recycled 65mm copper pipes having a vinegar/water bath to help clean out any crud from inside before they get put together.

When fitted to the column the coil will finish around 40-50mm above the offtake tee.

Next question, what are you guys using for fittings from 1/4 inch copper to connect to a standard hose cooling and outlet line? I'm using mains supply water at the moment, so pressure is pretty good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bradsgonetrekkin on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Re: My first double wound reflux coil

Postby maheel » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:37 pm

i reckon it looks fine and will work well.

for 1/4 inch your best bet is either screw clamps or finding some 1/4 -> 1/2 inch adapters and soldering them on
maheel

Postby reknaw » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:32 pm

If it qorks it doesn't matter what it looks like, with your 1/4 go to an irrigation shop and buy 6mm clear hose, put one end in boiling water then slip it over the end of the coil and push it on 2 - 3 inches, if you get real keen put a hose clamp on it or a once around with stainless tie wire. on the end of your 6 mm tube ask the fella at the irrigation shop for an adapter to go onto your clip on fitting and your set.

The water out of your coil same thing, how water, heat hose and slip on, it won't need a hose clamp.
reknaw

Postby R-sole » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Until it gets hot.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:11 pm

5Star wrote:Until it gets hot.

the hose comes off
ALC vapour pours out the top of the still
it catches on fire...
and you have shat your daks... :o

stay safe a clamp is a cheap safety item
maheel

Postby reknaw » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Ok make sure you put a hose clamp on it............
reknaw

Postby maheel » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:12 pm

lol

not that i shat my daks but i did stand there wondering while looking at my still on fire one time

i was wondering "should i shut off the gas, the electricity or the water 1st "

could have been a lot worse.....
maheel

Postby SBB » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Gas #1 .....get rid of one naked dame.....whoops flame.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:43 pm

SBB wrote:Gas #1 .....get rid of one naked dame.....whoops flame.

Yep! 1st on the emergency checklist..... Gas off.... water on
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:45 pm

Edit: Gas off at the bottle tap......not the others..........no time for fucking around
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:48 pm

Next question, what are you guys using for fittings from 1/4 inch copper to connect to a standard hose cooling and outlet line? I'm using mains supply water at the moment, so pressure is pretty good.

I solder a bit of 3/8 tube over the top of the 1/4, then solder a brass sprinkler fitting over the 3/8..... quick connect straight from the hose ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:51 pm

While we are on the subject of things going wrong........whats the best sort of fire extinguisher to have on hand for this kind of thing................besides a fuckin big one????
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:59 pm

I've found a good spray with the hose to be effective :oops:

Not a full on blast or you'll spread the flame ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:23 am

Anything that's rated for fuel fires. I have two foam ones, a small one hanging on the door, and a big one a couple meters outside it.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:49 am

one of these from the big green shed cut in half fit's perfect onto 3/8 pipe and solder i on (take the oring off 1st)
each half is for one end of the coil

i like 3/8 coils as i find i can push lots of water through them no restrictions on my crappy pond pump

brass hose joiner

maheel

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:31 pm

thanks for the tips guys I'll let you know how hook up goes. Next job is the liebig condensor......
bradsgonetrekkin

630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:16 pm

Did a bit more on the coil this arvo while listening to the footy.

The dragons finally got a win again after I put the mocha on them with my massive wrap earlier in the season!

I drilled a few holes in the cap for the top of the column for the coil tails plus a pressure relief outlet in 1/4 inch copper.

The bottom of the coil will be around 40mm from the offtake branch.

I used a bit of 32mm pipe as a mandrel to bend the coil tails down for the connection points.

For the connections I ended up crimping a small length of 1/2 inch copper over the 1/4 inch for the coil which I will get soldered up. A standard 15mm threaded brass pipe bush will be soldered over the other end.

A standard 1/2 inch prefab flexible water hose can screw onto the inlet of the coil, and a 15mm-20mm copper reducer bush will be screwed onto the 15mm bush so a standard brass quick connect for the hose fittings can go on the outlet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bradsgonetrekkin

Return to Accessories