Essencia scrubbers

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Essencia scrubbers

Postby SMOKEU » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:43 pm

I've used these Essencia brass scrubbers for a few years now as my still packing. Can anyone here confirm with any degree of certainty that these don't contain any/dangerous levels of lead? And do these count as copper when it comes to removing sulphides, seeing brass is a copper alloy? Apart from these I'm having a hard time finding any reasonably priced scrubbers. I might otherwise try a supermarket for some stainless pot scrubbers then have some copper in as well.

SMOKEU

equipment: Custom built stainless still

Re: Essencia scrubbers

Postby Kimbo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:58 pm

SMOKEU wrote:I've used these Essencia brass scrubbers for a few years now as my still packing. Can anyone here confirm with any degree of certainty that these don't contain any/dangerous levels of lead? And do these count as copper when it comes to removing sulphides, seeing brass is a copper alloy? Apart from these I'm having a hard time finding any reasonably priced scrubbers. I might otherwise try a supermarket for some stainless pot scrubbers then have some copper in as well.

Simple answer mate is NO and NO.
We simply cant confirm ( or Deny) what levels of lead those scrubbers may or may not have. So, we err on the side of caution and advize that you fuck them off quick smart. As for sulphide removal, refer to previous statement ;-)
Stick with S/S or Copper and you cant go wrong :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Ken » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:19 pm

Yep, get rid of the brass. Lead is added to brass to improve its machining properties, it's called leaded brass (surprise surprise).
Bascially, the lead accumulates around the crystal boundaries of the brass (a copper zinc alloy) during manufacture and allows the individual metal crystals to be cleaved more easily by a cutting tool, so it is free metallic lead you're dealing with here.
It's certainly no good in your whisky to be sure.
Either change them out for some pure copper scrubbers if you can get them or some stainless steel ones or some ceramic chips.
You can tell if you've got good stainless steel by putting a magnet to the scrubbers. High grade (high chrome content) stainless steel is NOT magnetic and a magnet will not stick to it.
If the magnet sticks, keep on walking...
Cheers
Ken
Ken

equipment: Offset head reflux. Propane fired 50 litre keg boiler.

Postby AndyCapp » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:51 pm

Before throwing the baby out with the bath water, why not just send Essencia an email and ask? Given that they sell this stuff for distilling purposes and it's a long-standing NZ company, the chances are good that this stuff is Ok.

There are hundreds of brass alloys and only a small fraction of them contain lead.

Also lead in your boiler and column is NOT going to evaporate and collect in your drink (unless you are running at 600+ degC :teasing-tease: ), so so the scrubbersshould be safe regardless. Having said that, remember that any lead in your condenser is a different matter and can be washed down into your collection vessel.
Andy
AndyCapp

equipment: Newbie to the Art of Distillation

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:52 pm

You can find copper mesh out there easy enough, but it ain't cheap. 5 Star stocks it and it is a very good product - the favoured mesh for distilling.

Failing copper mesh, stainless will help with reflux but wont help with sulphide removal, so you really do need some copper in the vapour path but note, it does not HAVE to be a lot. I have of 500mm of tightly rolled copper scrolls in my packed section, but only because I had access to it for stuff all. If I didn't I would just have one copper scroll (~1kg) in there and the rest SS scrubbers.

Be careful when buying SS scrubbers as some of the cheaper ones are just coated in SS looking stuff and this soon comes off exposing the cheap stuff underneath.

Trying to do it cheap for the gear you use is not going to do you any favours, sometimes the initial outlay can save you a truckload in trial and error costs.

Savings to be had elsewhere IMO, the rig is definitely not one of them..
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby bt1 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:07 am

You can find copper mesh out there easy enough, but it ain't cheap. 5 Star stocks it and it is a very good product - the favoured mesh for distilling.

:text-+1:

This mesh has made a significant improvement in my washes. Early days but for it's age the new Irish batch is notably better.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby TheMechwarrior » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:36 am

New Irish batch bt1? Which recipe?
Cheers, Mech
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby SMOKEU » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:31 pm

I can't afford to pack the still completely with copper, so I want to have a bit of copper (maybe like 20% copper, and the remaining scrubbers stainless steel). I went into hardware stores with a magnet and all the SS pot scrubbers stick to a magnet. It's just a real mission to find good quality SS scrubbers.
SMOKEU

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:36 pm

Try a good hospitality supplier :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:16 pm

SMOKEU wrote: I went into hardware stores with a magnet and all the SS pot scrubbers stick to a magnet. It's just a real mission to find good quality SS scrubbers.

That's about what I found...still...they should only be lightly attracted ,not slam onto it .

Here is a Pure distilling SS Scrubber I got to replace my old 2 year old+ stuff

Misc 045.jpg

Heres one of the old Supermarket scrubbers I took out .Its about the same .I bought scrubbers originally when I packed from two supermarkets from different manufacturers.After a few years some look like they have the slightest brown tinge in some light ...the others have the slightest blue tinge ....both look shiny silver still

Misc 044.jpg

Oh yeah ...these are my stinky ,greasy tails infested scrubbers that haven't been washed for an embarrassing period of time so I could not say if the colouration is due to scum....There certainly was no signs of Rust in the still
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby SMOKEU » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:35 pm

Do I have to clean the scrubbers before I use them in the still? I read up on a "how to" still cleaning guide for new stills, and it said to remove the packing before putting vinegar and water in the boiler to clean out the reflux tower.
SMOKEU

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:26 pm

Yeah mate I would. There can be some stuff on them from manufacturing
Urrazeb

Postby SMOKEU » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:54 pm

Urrazeb wrote:Yeah mate I would. There can be some stuff on them from manufacturing

Cool, and one more thing, is vinegar + water really any better than using citric acid + water for soaking my scrubbers in, or for putting in the still boiler to clean out the insides of the still?
SMOKEU

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:21 pm

I use vinegar others use citric acid, suppose you could squeeze 30 lemons and get the same result

I use 4l vinegar and cover my elements. About 25l water
Urrazeb

Postby SMOKEU » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Urrazeb wrote:I use vinegar others use citric acid, suppose you could squeeze 30 lemons and get the same result

I use 4l vinegar and cover my elements. About 25l water

I've already got vinegar so might as well use it, but citric acid is much cheaper than vinegar so next time I might use about 2-3tbsp of citric acid with maybe 6-7L of water.
SMOKEU

Postby Jed » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:39 am

So does any one know what brand scrubbers scourers from coles or woolies are good to use. I have enough copper but could still use some more stainless packing. I tried some home brand ones and they stuck to magnet like glue.
Jed

equipment: None yet vm lm nearly completed.

Postby OzKev » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:22 am

I thought these were the ones to use

http://www.bunnings.com.au/mr-clean-tuf ... s_p4465903
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:31 am

OzKev wrote:I thought these were the ones to use

Yep, they have a jumbo version too.... the ones in the Blue pkt. are the go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby OzKev » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:03 pm

MacStill wrote:

Yep, they have a jumbo version too.... the ones in the Blue pkt. are the go :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Is this the stuff?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/sifa-500g-gr ... -_p1667875
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby pulsetech » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:11 pm

OzKev wrote:
MacStill wrote:

Is this the stuff?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/sifa-500g-gr ... -_p1667875

That's just steel wool not Stainless Steel. it will rust in 2 seconds flat
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Next

Return to Accessories