Buchner Funnel filter papers

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Buchner Funnel filter papers

Postby Blackened » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Hey all,

I was just digging through my cupboard 'o goodies and found a funnel I bought years ago. Is there a particular type/grade/spec of filter paper I should be looking for? Other than the diameter of course. I'll be using it for many and various filtering purposes, charcoal, citrus peel, coffee and all that jazz.

Cheers all
Blackened

equipment: Assorted equipment for handling various base ingredients. Mashing setup for beer/whiskey. Pot still. CM column with temperature controlled coolant to control take-off rate.

Re: Buchner Funnel filter papers

Postby Sam. » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:38 pm

I would have thought coffee filter papers would all be fairly similar :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:46 pm

I use coffee filter papers ,available at most supermarkets ,you may have to fold the edges to fit the funnel .they come in small and large size.The other thing I found when filtering is if the product is thick or syrupy it will take ages ,so I bought a perforated funnel wich with the papers took less time, hope this helps.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby SBB » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:17 pm

Some things can be a bastard to filter......progressively finer filters help a lot.......I wouldn't start off with anything to fine.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Blackened » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:53 pm

Thanks all,

Yeah a Buchner funnel is a funnel that has a flat perforated divider above the funnel, with a short cylindrical section above it as a reservoir, so I guess I could cut a coffee filter into a circle to fit inside. I just happened to be browsing ebay and found a range of circular paper filters but wasn't sure which I should choose. Fast flow, medium flow, some specs in uM, blah blah blah. Given the fact I'll be doing a fair assortment of different things I should probably get a couple of different types. Cheap enough.
Blackened

equipment: Assorted equipment for handling various base ingredients. Mashing setup for beer/whiskey. Pot still. CM column with temperature controlled coolant to control take-off rate.

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi Blackened
Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know , but the idea is that they assist in speeding up filtering
Those Buchner funnels are meant to be used in conjunction with a side arm flask which is connected to a vacuum.

At the other place I work ,I recently discovered they use these to create a suitable vacuum to operate them .They are connected to a water faucet and the side arm creates the vacuum

Vaccuum Pump inline.jpg

Buchner Funnel.jpg

Filter flask.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby SBB » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:25 pm

SBB wrote:Some things can be a bastard to filter......progressively finer filters help a lot.......I wouldn't start off with anything to fine.

Just as a bit of a follow up
Ive found that metal kitchen strainers, cheese cloth and old bed sheets as well as worn out tee shirts can all be of use before using paper filters.
Some things like Apple Pie can be hard going to get perfect. Once you think you have achieved perfection stick it in the fridge for a month and see what still settles out. Thats when you get a very small siphon hose and suck the good stuff out of the container and leave the layer of crap behind.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:29 pm

LOL ...forgot you need one of these too to stick the funnel in the flask ...but I'd use a natural cork one ;-)

Buchner Rubber adaptor.jpg

SBB wrote:Once you think you have achieved perfection stick it in the fridge for a month and see what still settles out. Thats when you get a very small siphon hose and suck the good stuff out of the container and leave the layer of crap behind.

So true :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Blackened » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:43 pm

Thanks yummyrum and SBB, :text-thankyoublue: I bought the buchner funnel to use for gravity feed some years ago, and no, at the time I didn't realise they were designed to work in a vacuum setup. :oops: I'm hoping with the correct type of paper I may still be able to use it as gravity feed, much the same as I use coffee filter papers now. At the very least it's great for first stage filtering or large solids (citrus peel etc) prior to using a coffee filter. Then again, maybe I'll lash out on a vacuum setup, though I doubt it lol.
Blackened

Return to Accessories