mash squeezing

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

mash squeezing

Postby crozdog » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:04 am

hi,

after i've drained the fermetner to the boiler I've been scooping mash into some cut off sheet & twisting it up to squeeze extra juice out. Letting it sit in a collander didn't work

This is slow painful inefficient & time consuming. There has to be a better way!

Been thinking about something like a wine press with a BIAB liner or a mesh bin. Anyone tried this? Anyone made their own press eg using a cheap hydraulic car jack? If so - care to share some pics / plans?

Cheers

Crozdog
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Re: mash squeezing

Postby maheel » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:15 am

what about a 20L plastic bucket with 500 small holes drilled in it cut the lid or make a timber circle down to be more like a piston in the bucket.

place bucket in a tub
throw the grain in in BAIB bag
place a very object object on top and push down ?

maybe do it under the house / something use a bit of wood and a scissor jack to force the plunger down or bucket up?
that would make a rough press you could test to see if it worth bothering to make a better one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maheel

Postby SBB » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:11 am

What about centrifugal force.....? an old spin drier converted some how???
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby maheel » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:57 am

SBB wrote:What about centrifugal force.....? an old spin drier converted some how???

it has been tried using washing machines, i know of one story where the machine "exploded"

XXkg of wet grain in a washing machine might be dangerous ?
maheel

Return to Accessories