Ideas? Cooling maybe?

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Ideas? Cooling maybe?

Postby Muppet » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:48 pm

Gday everyone, I got stuck into sorting out my new shed recently. Whilst unloading my storage unit i came across the portable spa I bought a few summers ago. I originally bought this to relax after a huge working year. (Hot summer and had no Air-con at the time) I was about ready to throw it out then started looking at the pump in a new way...
Thought it really is quiet a handy little unit and since it owes me virtually nothing what could I modify it to do?
This Pumps water, has a heating element, temperature controller, digital temp readout and blows air as well. Its all contained in a neat little unit with a electrical trip out too.
Its obviously all plastic so there's no way it is going near my spirit's and it has had chlorine run through it so that rules it out as a mashing tool etc.
What do you guys think? If nothing else it should work as a temporary cooling setup but any ideas are welcome. :think:
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Re: Ideas? Cooling maybe?

Postby Geeps » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Geez i'd be laying in that thing watching the spirit run with a good drink and some good company ;-) ;-)
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Postby Brendan » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Geeps wrote:Geez i'd be laying in that thing watching the spirit run with a good drink and some good company ;-) ;-)

:text-+1: Exactly what I was thinking!

To me, that's like saying 'Ive got a Ferrari sitting here, could I use the engine to power my grain mill'? :teasing-neener:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Muppet » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Brendan wrote:
Geeps wrote:Geez i'd be laying in that thing watching the spirit run with a good drink and some good company ;-) ;-)

:text-+1: Exactly what I was thinking!

To me, that's like saying 'Ive got a Ferrari sitting here, could I use the engine to power my grain mill'? :teasing-neener:

Guys this is 5 years old now, got moist in storage and the fabric has gone moldy. If I set it up (I will when the weather heats up) Our 3 kids will destroy it in a day. Guaranteed!!!
3 kids playing, Small padded pool, Common sense goes out the window!
Thus the question

BTW
this was picked up at red dot for the huge sum of $150, 5 years ago... got 3 years worth of use, before it was stored.
Muppet

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:27 pm

I'd be seriously looking into setting it up as a fermentation management system. The chlorine leaves a lot to be desired and some of the components may not be food safe but one these are sorted that'd be my aim.

Failing that you could have it as a cooling system pump, but seems a bit overkill for that..

Outside of distilling well, you ould use it for an areator, pump and heater in an aquaponics system and keep barra all year round :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Muppet » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:35 pm

Urrazeb wrote:I'd be seriously looking into setting it up as a fermentation management system. The chlorine leaves a lot to be desired and some of the components may not be food safe but one these are sorted that'd be my aim.

Failing that you could have it as a cooling system pump, but seems a bit overkill for that..

Outside of distilling well, you ould use it for an areator, pump and heater in an aquaponics system and keep barra all year round :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks for the serious reply mate :clap: Ill pull her apart and see what we can do with it.
I think with some thought to plumbing it could do quite a few different jobs well.
Muppet

Postby Geeps » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Muppet wrote:
Urrazeb wrote:I'd be seriously looking into setting it up as a fermentation management system. The chlorine leaves a lot to be desired and some of the components may not be food safe but one these are sorted that'd be my aim.

Thanks for the serious reply mate :clap: Ill pull her apart and see what we can do with it.
I think with some thought to plumbing it could do quite a few different jobs well.

OK what's another use for my heater?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Postby Redux » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:50 pm

Geeps wrote:

awesome toast!!

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Heavy char oak? Creme Brulee?

Doorknocker evacuation system?
Urrazeb

Postby Muppet » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:23 pm

Use it to light your cigarette :O) :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Last edited by Sam. on Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
Muppet

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:29 pm

Seeming this thread isn't in the dunder pit how about we keep it on topic and try to give muppet some good advice :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby woodduck » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:51 pm

Man you really have me thinking on this one muppet :think:

Would the chlorine be an issue? I thought it dispersed quite easily, like in a pool etc you need to top up regularly. If you run enough other liquid through it would it get rid of the chlorine? Or is it eched right into the plastic?

How hot does it get? I'm guessing it wouldn't get anywhere near the 67deg mark for malt conversion.

What about building a water jacket around your fermenters or run the warm water through poly pipe that the fermenters sit on, like underfloor heating? If you did that you would probably want a hot box/cupboard to contain the heat. You could set a thermostat up to turn it on and off, although it may already have one of those i guess, which makes it even easier.

Well that's it my brain is drained, all the best with it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:03 am

Some good ideas there WD! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Postby Muppet » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:41 am

woodduck wrote:Man you really have me thinking on this one muppet :think:

Would the chlorine be an issue? I thought it dispersed quite easily, like in a pool etc you need to top up regularly. If you run enough other liquid through it would it get rid of the chlorine? Or is it eched right into the plastic?

How hot does it get? I'm guessing it wouldn't get anywhere near the 67deg mark for malt conversion.

What about building a water jacket around your fermenters or run the warm water through poly pipe that the fermenters sit on, like underfloor heating? If you did that you would probably want a hot box/cupboard to contain the heat. You could set a thermostat up to turn it on and off, although it may already have one of those i guess, which makes it even easier.

Well that's it my brain is drained, all the best with it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now we're talking WD! That is a good idea :dance: I'd like to try get rid of the plastic hoses anyways it is easy enough to test how hot she will push. Something like pool heater matting should be perfect for a fermenter heater. Cheers for the kick start buddy!
I've been thinking maybe hot and cold water sources and a simple valve set up so I can sort my washes in the shed, but I'd bet there would be more benefit keeping my wash temps stable.
Cheers guys
Muppet

Postby jord4231 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:40 pm

Honestly back in the early povo days of my self I had a indoor spa outside mounted on some 4x4 tyres I used it for my stillcooling by the end of the run I got in the spa and it was hot enough for a spa ! talk about recycling
jord4231

equipment: Reflux still

Postby woodduck » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:46 am

Good reminder :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Have you gone any further with muppet? If so how did it go.

Or have you had any other fresh idea's on what to use it for?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Muppet » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:37 pm

Negative WD Its still parked in the corner... Between Family, Working, Distilling, Cooking and fishing I'm shit outa time for a while.
Muppet

Return to Accessories