Keg hole :|

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Keg hole :|

Postby jord4231 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Hi All I hope this is the correct category to post this

Right now I’m so damn spent, I Picked up some stainless fittings drilled in to a 50L keg picked up some Lead free solder and some bronzing and nickel rods thought I’d have a go at putting a valve on my keg for 40% spirit storage.

Well I drilled the hole perfectly put the fitting in and first tried solder Well that didn’t work so I cleaned that off and tried my luck with the bronzing rods, with a bit of trial and error with my mapp gas torch I got something fairly reasonable and stoped for lunch. I was working with a friend of mine who kept going with it while I got us some lunch big mistake…. I came back from getting some food he’s put the rod in the ark welder (to try and speed things UP) and blown a hole in the keg next to the fitting :angry-banghead: :violence-smack:
I tried to ark weld it up but it leaks and I'm real unhappy about that.
I’m unsure what to do now I’m almost just thinking of cutting the bottom off the keg (as that’s where I put the tap) and using it upside down or some thing. Is there any way I can repair it.
I’ve packed up for the day and grabbed a beer
jord4231

equipment: Reflux still

Re: Keg hole :|

Postby 1 2many » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:34 pm

That kind of sucks jord. :handgestures-thumbdown:

I’m unsure what to do now I’m almost just thinking of cutting the bottom off the keg (as that’s where I put the tap) and using it upside down or some thing.

That is what I would do mate tip it upside down and cut a bigger hole in the bottom so you can fill it and that will get rid of the messy bit and add a drain to the now bottom of keg like this. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Drain setup 1 (Copy).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby whiskeyshiner » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:31 pm

Bronzing and nickel rods a big :handgestures-thumbdown: 2% 5% or 15% silver solder :handgestures-thumbupleft: and soft solder :handgestures-thumbupleft: 308l stainless rods for arc welding :handgestures-thumbupleft: anything else i would be aging with mate sorry to hear about your troubles. Try using a bit of stainless off cut to plug the gap then arc weld. Arc welding not the best at filling holes in but it can be done using an offcut
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Postby jord4231 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:37 am

1 2many wrote:That kind of sucks jord. :handgestures-thumbdown:

I’m unsure what to do now I’m almost just thinking of cutting the bottom off the keg (as that’s where I put the tap) and using it upside down or some thing.

That is what I would do mate tip it upside down and cut a bigger hole in the bottom so you can fill it and that will get rid of the messy bit and add a drain to the now bottom of keg like this. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Drain setup 1 (Copy).jpg

\
Looks interesting where did you get those parts
are they all stainless?
jord4231

Postby 1 2many » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:33 am

Yes jord they are stainless steal and I found them on ebay. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby jord4231 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:56 am

Well this is a pic of the damage I ground the fitting and all the bronzing off. Maybe I could drill a bigger hole and fit a bigger valve.
damage.jpg

I'm also thinking of doing the valve set up on the top of the keg like 1 2many but then I have no real way of sealing this keg back up if I use that damage area as a filler :|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jord4231

Postby halfbaked » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:39 pm

how bout a tri clover fitting? Don't use a stick welder, its to hot.
halfbaked

equipment: still lookin

Postby Muppet » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:48 pm

That staino looks well and truly cooked to me (Brittle) A clamp together fitting with a silicon gasket would do the job. Like 1 2 has done. Corks, triclamp fittings or a screw on cap would seal for aging.
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby 1 2many » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:54 pm

Muppet wrote:That staino looks well and truly cooked to me (Brittle) A clamp together fitting with a silicon gasket would do the job. Like 1 2 has done. Corks, triclamp fittings or a screw on cap would seal for aging.

:text-+1: :text-imwithstupid:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Potmash Boka » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:54 pm

1 2many wrote:
Muppet wrote:That staino looks well and truly cooked to me (Brittle) A clamp together fitting with a silicon gasket would do the job. Like 1 2 has done. Corks, triclamp fittings or a screw on cap would seal for aging.

:text-+1: :text-imwithstupid:

:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-imwithstupid:
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.
Various pieces of copper pipe laying around for future experiments.

Postby jord4231 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:49 pm

Looks like the way Ill have to go wasn't planning on using it for aging just storage.
Ill have to build a stand for it too. Thanks for all the input guys :)
jord4231

Return to Accessories