cleaning oil from copper mesh

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Re: cleaning oil from copper mesh

Postby Sam. » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:12 pm

Fudude wrote:Sam, As requested:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7668

Cheers mate I saw it, I don't miss too much ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:42 pm

Matt_Pl wrote:Mac,

Does this mean I wont have to worry about degreasing?? :happy-partydance: :clap: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

For a $1 a pop I plan on grabbing some from cheap as cheaps and running a vingear run/sac run anyway.

Cheers,

MP

Unfortunately they sent me the same stuff, not as oily as the last lot but will still need degreasing before a good long cleaning run ;-)

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5953#p131229

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Fudude » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:15 pm

Doing a cleaning run now (i think) distilled about 100-200ml (about 30 min) Vinegar then rinsed it all out and now im doing a couple liters of water, about 2 or so hours worth. This sound about right? It's running as i type. Gonna shut it down in about 15min and run the spirits. The water out of it smells and tastes like shower water, Is the best description i can think of.
Fudude

equipment: Turbostill 500.

Postby Sam. » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:17 pm

Fudude wrote:Doing a cleaning run now (i think) distilled about 100-200ml (about 30 min) Vinegar then rinsed it all out and now im doing a couple liters of water, about 2 or so hours worth. This sound about right? It's running as i type. Gonna shut it down in about 15min and run the spirits. The water out of it smells and tastes like shower water, Is the best description i can think of.

Your question has been well explained here
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Matt_Pl » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:54 pm

All good Mac.

Oily or not can't wait hopefull it arrives tomorrow, otherwise my weekend will be very sad and lonely looking at my Bunnings pump, fittings and the cables I've made up for my heater elements sitting on the bench in my shed

Cheers

MP
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby MacStill » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:58 pm

Matt_Pl wrote:All good Mac.

Oily or not can't wait hopefull it arrives tomorrow, otherwise my weekend will be very sad and lonely looking at my Bunnings pump, fittings and the cables I've made up for my heater elements sitting on the bench in my shed

Cheers

MP

Suzi checked the tracking number and it's with your local courier, send her an email and we'll chase it up in the morning for you mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:09 pm

Fudude wrote:Doing a cleaning run now (i think) distilled about 100-200ml (about 30 min) Vinegar then rinsed it all out and now im doing a couple liters of water, about 2 or so hours worth. This sound about right? It's running as i type. Gonna shut it down in about 15min and run the spirits. The water out of it smells and tastes like shower water, Is the best description i can think of.

Did you use any degreaser? I recommend using the supercheap auto $1 spray cans degreaser, rinse, citric acid bath rinse then sacrificial alcohol run.

EDIT: If you use the super cheap EXPORT degreaser you will know when the mesh is clean due to the color of the drained degreaser. It will start off a golden color that is the oil coming out but when it turns a blue color you know the oil has been flushed.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Hari » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:06 pm

My copper packing arrived today thanks Mac.

I removed 300 grams of SS pot scrubber packing from my 1.5m column.

Regarding cleaning the oil from the 100mm wide copper packing/mesh. I used a litre of very smell heads with a hi content of acetone to soak the rolls in for a minute. This cleaned most of the oil from the packing. Next to run the still with some more heads.
For my 2" column I used 900mm of mesh per roll, which weighed 51 grams each.

I will put 750 g of copper into the 1.5 column.
Hari.
Hari

equipment: 50L - 50mm column still, with SS scrubber packing, cross flow reflux head for making vodka.

Postby bt1 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:36 am

Hari,

Normally takes a bit more cleaning than soaking in heads to remove the oils. Not wanting to see you waste a run with contaminants suggest you read the posts on cleaning to get a better idea.

Degreaser, a rinse, a good boil in napisan and a clean water flush would be suggested as bare minimum.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby MacStill » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:37 am

bt1 wrote:Hari,

Normally takes a bit more cleaning than soaking in heads to remove the oils. Not wanting to see you waste a run with contaminants suggest you read the posts on cleaning to get a better idea.

Degreaser, a rinse, a good boil in napisan and a clean water flush would be suggested as bare minimum.

bt1

Hari wrote:
Regarding cleaning the oil from the 100mm wide copper packing/mesh. I used a litre of very smell heads with a hi content of acetone to soak the rolls in for a minute. This cleaned most of the oil from the packing. Next to run the still with some more heads.

Hari.

Someones not paying attention :violence-stickwhack: I think what Hari has done should be more than enough for cleaning :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby bt1 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:48 pm

mac is this an oil free batch then understood from your prior post it was still coated?

Need to order some more myself later this week.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby MacStill » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:25 pm

It's still coated, not quite as much as the last lot.

My point was that a soak in heads then a cleaning run with heads (as Hari suggested) would be more than enough for cleaning :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Hari wrote:My copper packing arrived today thanks Mac.

I removed 300 grams of SS pot scrubber packing from my 1.5m column.

For my 2" column I used 900mm of mesh per roll, which weighed 51 grams each.

I will put 750 g of copper into the 1.5 column.
Hari.

G'day Hari,

I rolled a few lengths of mesh today to fit a 2" column, I didn't measure the length but each roll I got in was from 91 grams to 95 grams, I ran out of time today but will pull a piece out and measure the length I rolled up.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Hari » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi Mac,
I am wondering whether my 2" column is packed too tight or too loose regarding my 51g and 900mm of length of each piece of copper mesh.
What was the length of your 91-95g please?

PS a spray can of degreaser and a hot water rinse is probably the best way to clean that oil off the copper, besides the heads method.
regards
Hari.
Hari

equipment: 50L - 50mm column still, with SS scrubber packing, cross flow reflux head for making vodka.

Postby MacStill » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:20 am

Hari wrote:Hi Mac,
I am wondering whether my 2" column is packed too tight or too loose regarding my 51g and 900mm of length of each piece of copper mesh.
What was the length of your 91-95g please?

It's about 1500mm :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby choppy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:43 am

How many pieces of mesh is too much/not enough.

I have the stock standard PD reflux still, the 2" packed section of this still is 350mm tall.

When I replaced the pot scrubbers with mesh, I filled the column completely with three and half pieces of rolled mesh.

After the first run I found the alcohol take off rate was painstakingly slow, I had the mesh too tightly wound.

I have since loosened the mesh to about 60gms per roll and used only three rolls.

The take off rate has improved marginally, but is still very slow.

I know slow is good, but this still seems too slow.

With the pot scrubbers in place the take off speed was at that point where the drip tries to become a needle like stream.

With the mesh in place it drips slowly like a leaky tap.

Do i have too much mesh in place?
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:40 pm

choppy wrote:How many pieces of mesh is too much/not enough.

I have the stock standard PD reflux still, the 2" packed section of this still is 350mm tall.

When I replaced the pot scrubbers with mesh, I filled the column completely with three and half pieces of rolled mesh.

After the first run I found the alcohol take off rate was painstakingly slow, I had the mesh too tightly wound.

I have since loosened the mesh to about 60gms per roll and used only three rolls.

The take off rate has improved marginally, but is still very slow.

I know slow is good, but this still seems too slow.

With the pot scrubbers in place the take off speed was at that point where the drip tries to become a needle like stream.

With the mesh in place it drips slowly like a leaky tap.

Do i have too much mesh in place?

Try insulating ya colomn,copper conducts heat more than stainless,on a cold day my 2inch still will produce less (slower),if I take off the insulation.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby choppy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:44 pm

cheers Hillzy, I'll research it and come up with something for my next run.
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby Hari » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:41 pm

From my research I found that 900mm long pieces of mesh rolled up was the right density. I can blow through it. Mac supplied knitted wire mesh is about 50g for 900mm. Mac's mesh is 100mm wide, so depending on your source of copper mesh it may be different density.

However Mac has recommended about 1500mm of length. This I am keen to try.

Do you have the fine round wire knitted mesh or the knitted mesh made from ribbon, like pot scrubbers?
Hari.
Hari

Postby xcvator » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:14 pm

Got my new Boka from Mac today and the mesh was pretty oily, but no problem, just unrolled it and spread around in the dish washing machine and ran it through 2 cycles, came out sparkly clean, now I'm just waiting for the divorce papers to come :twisted:
xcvator

equipment: 2" MacBoka
2" Copper Pot still Head
50 Litre keg on a 16000 watt 4 ring gas burner

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories