cleaning oil from copper mesh

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Re: cleaning oil from copper mesh

Postby 1 2many » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:24 pm

xcvator wrote:Got my new Boka from Mac today and the mesh was pretty oily, but no problem, just unrolled it and spread around in the dish washing machine and ran it through 2 cycles, came out sparkly clean, now I'm just waiting for the divorce papers to come :twisted:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: pisser
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Nays_Shine » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:54 am

Ive read this thread and it seems that the advice from mac is to soak in heads for a few (10?) minutes, then do a sac run . Does this still stand? I tried cleaning 1 roll last night with 2 cans of degreaser, 5 very hot soapy rinses with dish soap, hot water only rinses and a 20 minute boil in citric acid, followed by a 3 hour soak in warm citiric (150g per 6 liters); and guess what? Its still coated with grease! Ill soak in heads tonight. I don't want to use my still as a degreaser so don't want to put greasy copper in there! I don't have a dishwasher.
Nays_Shine

equipment: 2" Boka. 1.5m packed column; 0.2m x 3/8" double coil; 0.3 x 1" cold finger; 5l boiler with 2x2200w elements.

Postby xcvator » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:16 am

Nays_Shine wrote:I don't have a dishwasher.

So you're not married then :cool:

Sorry couldn't help myself :O) did you unroll the mesh coz if you tried to clean it while it's rolled up that may be your problem
xcvator

equipment: 2" MacBoka
2" Copper Pot still Head
50 Litre keg on a 16000 watt 4 ring gas burner

Postby WTDist » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:17 am

haha is he dishwasher a wife or the appliance they make us buy :laughing-rolling:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby tipsy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:36 am

Nays_Shine wrote:Ive read this thread and it seems that the advice from mac is to soak in heads for a few (10?) minutes, then do a sac run . Does this still stand? I tried cleaning 1 roll last night with 2 cans of degreaser, 5 very hot soapy rinses with dish soap, hot water only rinses and a 20 minute boil in citric acid, followed by a 3 hour soak in warm citiric (150g per 6 liters); and guess what? Its still coated with grease! Ill soak in heads tonight. I don't want to use my still as a degreaser so don't want to put greasy copper in there! I don't have a dishwasher.

I just did 2 can de greaser, rinsed well, did a vinegar run. quick citric, junkahol run then another citric. Came out really well.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Swisswa » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:19 am

I gave the copper mesh about 3 rinses in mineral turps then boiled it in water for about 10 minutes. Took about half an hour and the grease and residual turps was completely gone :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Edit: Still did a sacrificial run with some leftover feints just to be sure
Swisswa

equipment: 5 plate glass neutralizer
5 Star Carter Head
"The Kegmeister" mashing rig

Postby icewind » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:12 pm

do these suggestions still apply to the current copper fsd mesh?
icewind

equipment: 2" VM, 2" Pot

Postby Professor Green » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:41 pm

The more recent rolls have been a little less oily but I would still give them right going over to be sure.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby orcy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:29 pm

I just did a new roll. 1 can degreaser. Soaked overnight in how dish liquid. Good wash with hose, then a quick soak for 10mins in some starsan. Came out pretty good. Vinegar and sac run once in still.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Previous

Return to Accessories