The "Duckhead"

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

The "Duckhead"

Postby woodduck » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:06 pm

Ok guys,

I've got an itch than needs to be scatched and with all this carter head talk i can't help myself but give one a go.

I'm gonna try do a couple of things differently but it will be along the lines of doc and macs twin headed Mathusala, hopefully it'll turn out ok.

Here's my thoughts so far, 4" column about 800mm high branching into a "Y", a 4" rc on both branch offs. On the left it will reduce into a 2" pc (i will most likely use the one from the glass duck) for taking fores, heads, tails. On the right, it will go from the 4" to 3" for the carter head intake, then into 4" glass thumper and batanical basket before going into another 2" pc. (See crappy sketch below)

My thoughts are to run it as a pot carter head with low wines but it will be adaptable to the "Duck" if i feel the need. Yes it would probably be easier to go with a standard carter head and use low wine hearts but hey, i love a challenge and its something a bit different i guess.

This build won't be a quick one because of this time of year is quite busy for me but it should be a challenge and very enjoyable.

As usual any input is more than welcomed :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Keen as
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Re: The "Duckhead"

Postby Meatheadinc » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:29 am

Great title :handgestures-thumbupleft: will be watching with interest as I have been contemplating something similar but with a VM head and one RC.
I think you will have to insulate the hell out of it and throw some decent power, even then I think there may be quite a bit of passive reflux.
The extra passive reflux in the carter, may in my opinion be a good thing as it can be used for blending into the final product. I have found in the past that some flavour don't carry well in steam alone and were left in the boiler when running an inline basket.
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:32 am

Great to see someone else giving a Carter Head a go. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just wondering how it will go with all the weight of the Carter Head so far away from the main column.
Perhaps the counter weight of the opposite side will help. :think: :think:

Will be watching your build with interest. :D :D :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Meatheadinc » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:54 pm

you could return reflux from the carter head to an inline thumper, boiler or bottom plate for re-distillation by using some stainless flexible gas pipe ( with a P trap or similar)

http://kennedyguan.en.made-in-china.com ... -Pipe.html

Lots could be done with a carter head :handgestures-thumbupleft: :-B
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby woodduck » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks for your input guys :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Meat, I've been thinking about a return line to the boiler, I'll look into that hose thanks.

DBV, i recon with triclamps in the right places i should be able to configure the still so it's fairly centred.

I think I'll be making a fair bit up as i build :D
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:08 am

Did you ever build this Woodduck? Really interesting idea. I see Doc has a similar concept with valves instead of rc’s.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby woodduck » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:46 am

Nah it just hasn't happened. I made the Y piece and another pc and I have everything there ready but never put it together. There's more important things I wanted to build and to be honest I just don't like gin, I've tryed quite a few types now and still don't rate it so I lost intrest in the build. It may happen in the future but not before the mother duck is finished.

The carterhead you talk about is the one mac built for doc and was the inspiration for this build.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby EziTasting » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:11 pm

Felt the same about Gin. Wasn’t willing to put the money into something I probably wouldnt like so stayed away from it, UNTIL I did a tour of Archie Rose Distillery.

I tried all their offerings AND (thought I’d endure their) Gin, but it was bloody noice!
I’m still not a great Gin drinker, although with the AR G
in, I have enjoyed many a G&T!

Buuuuut I’m more into whisky and some rums so not at the point where I want to explore the big ‘G’ any further right now...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby ThePaterPiper » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:17 pm

Fair enough, it is a big investment even only in time for something you don't enjoy drinking yourself. I hear what you say about gins aint gins Ezy, so if you are going to go to the effort, you had best have a recipe that suits your taste. Might just go the block head with optional gin basket with my bubbler build until I know for sure and deal with the oil residues if and when they arise. At least the blockhead will never go astray should a carter head rear it's ugly head.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Return to Accessories