Wildburky mash system

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Re: Wildburky mash system

Postby wildburkey » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:25 pm

Thinking about doing something like this -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wildburkey

equipment: Still Spirits Super Reflux :-(

Postby sp0rk » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:27 pm

I'd look at something like beer belly's esky false bottom

http://shop.beerbelly.com.au/falsie.html
i've been thinking about fabbing up something similar myself
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby wildburkey » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:09 pm

That stuff looks the go spork, I will see how it goes with the manifold on its own to start I rekon. Cheers for the input. I still got a bit of soldering to go but you can kinda see in the picture where I am going with it now. I'm going to use a dremmal tool with a cutting wheel to put slits in the manifold to drain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wildburkey

Postby wildburkey » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:45 pm

That's a neat looking setup 12Many, did you run a pump out from the bottom manifold to recirculate sparge water? Thinking I will have a go at making something similar cheers for the tip.
wildburkey

Postby 1 2many » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:45 pm

wildburkey wrote:That's a neat looking setup 12Many, did you run a pump out from the bottom manifold to recirculate sparge water? Thinking I will have a go at making something similar cheers for the tip.

No mate I didn't, I drained into a 2 ltr jug very slowly to start with so that it didn't compress the grain bed to much and cause a blockage, then poured that jug back on top of the mash.

I continued this procedure a little quicker once you see the wort in the jug start to clear, I think it took about between 7 and 8 liters for the wort to become clear, at that time I transferred to the boiler.

You could use a pump I suppose but go slow to start with. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The sparge water came from the HLT that was above the mash tun, so it was gravity fed .
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby wildburkey » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:38 pm

Cheers, it surprised me that the water would drain up through that pipe over the wall of your esky I guess it had enough pressure to start a siphoning action but figured it must have considering you called it a gravity system. Things are slowly coming along here's another pic.
wildburkey

Postby 1 2many » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:47 pm

wildburkey wrote:Cheers, it surprised me that the water would drain up through that pipe over the wall of your esky I guess it had enough pressure to start a siphoning action but figured it must have considering you called it a gravity system. Things are slowly coming along here's another pic.

I had to manually start the flow by submersing the outlet tube which had a cheap $2 plastic valve, once it was submerged I shut the valve the simply lifted the hose over the side down lower than the mash tun and slowly opened the valve. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Previous

Return to Accessories