cooling tank info

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

cooling tank info

Postby Hill » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:52 pm

just wondering if you would need to have an ibc under shade, looking at putting one at the side of my house and it is in the sun all day.
Hill

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler with 600mm rock section
4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Re: cooling tank info

Postby bayshine » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:01 pm

Mines in the sun mate and can get over 30 C in summer , so some shade wouldn't hurt :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby EziTasting » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:27 pm

Hah! If you get some shade cloth over it that'll go a fair bit to reducing the effects of the sun. Then, when it's time to use it, you add ice to the water ... Summer time I'd suspect be the only time you'd need to do that.

I live in Port Hedland and, like you, will be using an IBC, but I will need to use ice because it gets a little warmer up here than in Perth. :D
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Hill » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:27 pm

Thanks guys, I'm lm looking and running the water through a spare plate chiller in a ice bucket, it should bring the temp to where I need but will look at shade cloth over the top as well
Hill

4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby Sam. » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:33 am

I wonder if an IBC would handle being buried? Or if the weight would crack it :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby EziTasting » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:05 am

Sam. wrote:I wonder if an IBC would handle being buried? Or if the weight would crack it :think:

Interesting question... I know they stack them 3 to 4 high, fully loaded... By that says little about the side inwards pressure! Could be like it is with car Windows, hit them top down (vertical) and the are strong as but it them side-on (horizontal) and the cave in easily... I've not dug one in as yet.

Other issue would be the top only has 2 brace-bars so you would need cover that up because it is very easy to cave-in the plastic bladder! We used to clean them and dispose of them a few years back...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby scythe » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:05 am

You could probably dig a big hole and put one in there but probably not cover it with a ton of dirt.
Why do you want to burry and IBC?

Just so that it does not take up room?
Keep temp low?

My idea would be to excavate a nice deep and wide hole to fit an IBC, reinforce the sides of your hole, drop your IBC into the hole, fill it and drop your pump in, then put a nice thick bit of marine ply on top to cover the hole.
Extra credit if you put a bench over the top so you dont somehow accidentally fall in.

Manually digging out a cubic meter of dirt is not my idea of fun so borrow a little excavator if you can.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby warramungas » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:25 am

scythe wrote:Manually digging out a cubic meter of dirt is not my idea of fun so borrow a little excavator if you can.

Was Gunna say, good idea but would be a bitch to dig without machinery.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby the Doctor » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:24 am

I once used an IBC which had a burlap/canvas blanket over it...we would wet the blanket to create an evaporative cooler (Coolgardie cooler) it worked fine. was only running a 4 inch plated off it...struggled a bit on heatwave days ..but did the job.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Hill » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:00 pm

thanks Doc, ill look at some shade as well but my plan was to have a 5 plate cooling block inside just before the still in an ice bath, I'm hoping this should work ok.
Hill

4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby Sam. » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:17 pm

Burying would keep it cool but yeah it would be outside the realm for most people.

Putting a little lean to over it for shade should make a signicant difference :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby scythe » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:10 pm

A sheet or 2 of ply wood will give you some good shade and thermal protection (just plop it on top), especially if you paint the wood white to reflect the sunlight.
scythe

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Over thinking things abit are we? From the stigs calculator it would take around 26hrs of full summer midday sun to heat 1000L of water from 25 deg. to 40 deg.
image.jpg

So, unless you live somewhere that gets 26 hrs of sun every day I think you'll be ok :laughing-rolling: 8-}
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby the Doctor » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:01 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Over thinking things abit are we? From the stigs calculator it would take around 26hrs of full summer midday sun to heat 1000L of water from 25 deg. to 40 deg.
image.jpg

So, unless you live somewhere that gets 26 hrs of sun every day I think you'll be ok :laughing-rolling: 8-}

It will heat up in a few hours with the additional hot output from the still...this refers to passive heat I think.... My experience is that in summer an IBC can reach temperatures of 40 degrees in a few hours when you combine the gradual rise due to environment with the hot water from the cooling system... I have tried a heat exchange plate in an ice slurry before the return to the cooling tank...but found it useless after 1/2 hour or so...It was a 1000 litre tank with a large 6 foot wine heat exchange plate. But it struggled to keep up... I now think that the best idea is two reservoirs one for the line out cool water and one for the line in hot water ...the tanks can be interconnected to allow the cooling water to slowly re-integrate with the cooler water in the line out tank.
Doc
Last edited by 1 2many on Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
the Doctor

Postby scythe » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:03 pm

I doubt the sun is only 650watts.
But i get the point your making, the shade is more to protect the plastic that holds the water as even UV stabilised plastic still gets brittle over time.
But if you could use sub 30°C cooling water you would wouldnt you
scythe

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:07 pm

the Doctor wrote:
Doubleuj wrote:Over thinking things abit are we? From the stigs calculator it would take around 26hrs of full summer midday sun to heat 1000L of water from 25 deg. to 40 deg.
image.jpg

So, unless you live somewhere that gets 26 hrs of sun every day I think you'll be ok :laughing-rolling: 8-}[/quote

It will heat up in a few hours with the additional hot output from the still...this refers to passive heat I think.... My experience is that in summer an IBC can reach temperatures of 40 degrees in a few hours when you combine the gradual rise due to environment with the hot water from the cooling system... I have tried a heat exchange plate in an ice slurry before the return to the cooling tank...but found it useless after 1/2 hour or so...It was a 1000 litre tank with a large 6 foot wine heat exchange plate. But it struggled to keep up... I now think that the best idea is two reservoirs one for the line out cool water and one for the line in hot water ...the tanks can be interconnected to allow the cooling water to slowly re-integrate with the cooler water in the line out tank.
Doc

Yeap agreed totally, it would be the continual heating from the still that would increase the temp before the suns effect.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Hill » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:26 pm

the Doctor wrote:
image.jpg

So, unless you live somewhere that gets 26 hrs of sun every day I think you'll be ok :laughing-rolling: 8-}[/quote

Doc

Just wondering doc was the reason it didn't work well because the ice wouldn't last that long? my plan was to have a line in block and a line out block bringing the temp down both ways and the ice bath was only a temp solution I planned to have them sitting in my cool room with a small tank of glycol recirculating through both.
Hill

4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:39 pm

scythe wrote:I doubt the sun is only 650watts.
But i get the point your making, the shade is more to protect the plastic that holds the water as even UV stabilised plastic still gets brittle over time.
But if you could use sub 30°C cooling water you would wouldnt you

Just did a quick google search admittedly, says the sun is about 600-650watts per square metre after it enters the atmosphere. Gotta love google
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Psykamaholik » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:28 pm

I'm going to be implementing some fan/radiator type cooling for my recirculated water soon (fingers crossed for next week) using a 200L barrel. I'll post some results in here along with some pics for those interested.

Basically after the water has been through the still it will pass through a cooling radiator I re-appropriated from a water fountain/bubbler with a 200mm computer fan for assistance.

The plan is to monitor:
- cooling water going into the still
- cooling water out of the still
- cooling water after radiator

I have enough temperature sensors to watch 2 more points if there are any requests?
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby the Doctor » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:20 pm

Hill wrote:
the Doctor wrote:
image.jpg

Doc

Just wondering doc was the reason it didn't work well because the ice wouldn't last that long? my plan was to have a line in block and a line out block bringing the temp down both ways and the ice bath was only a temp solution I planned to have them sitting in my cool room with a small tank of glycol recirculating through both.

Definitely ate through the ice...and we have quite a big Ice machine...but no chance of keeping up...I like the idea of some sort of radiator...It does make sense. For us we have decided that water mass is the answer and so we are putting another 25000litres of tankage in to assist the current 13000 litres...the cold will come from the 25000 tank and the hot return will go into the smaller tank...they will have a 2 inch hose for slow equalisation..... I think that should do it to cover the three stills.
Doc
the Doctor

Next

Return to Accessories