Thermometer in column

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Thermometer in column

Postby WTDist » Fri May 20, 2016 10:00 am

Im wondering and thought i should ask before i make my blockhead. How do people add thermometers in their columns. I want to add a digital on like i saw in Dez's thread just now, well maybe ill see how it works first.

Can i just have a 1/2" tube going into the column,with a cap on it like an inverted tee that is closed off so no vapor gets out, stick the probe in and maybe put a cork in to stop air moving around in there. does this work since the copper transfers heat fast or do people do it another way. dont see another way to do it without using 2000 degrees near a thermometer :))

cheers
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: Thermometer in column

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri May 20, 2016 10:08 am

Surely you can get a screw in probe for a digital thermometer and tap a thread into a bit of pipe/the blockhead cap?

Or just a heap of thread tape so it's a proper jam fit?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby warramungas » Fri May 20, 2016 12:09 pm

I use 1/4" compression fittings. Compress a 1/4" copper tube into one, cut it just outside the nut, then poke the probe through. It'll be a loosish fit but not too bad. Figure out how long it needs to be then mark it on the inside. Pull out the probe put the nut on then smear silicone from the mark out. Use acetic cure silicone as it sticks really well to, well, anything. Carefully thread the probe back through so the mark realigns on the inside of the 1/4" tube piece and wipe off any excess silicone. Reinstall to fitting when dry.
Viola. A removable temp probe. I'm comfortable with the miniscule amounts of silicone that would be exposed to alcohol so it would be up to you if you are. If you use stainless fittings there would be no brass involved and it will also depend on your temp probes girth what size fittings you need to use.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Dez » Fri May 27, 2016 7:11 pm

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier WT.

I made and soldered in a thermowell to house the digital thermometer probe.

The thermometer I used was http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-or-DC-8-12V-LCD-digital-thermometer-range-from-50-150-/121051234693?hash=item1c2f374185

To make the thermowell I used http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-6mm-Inner-Dia-Straight-Hold-Wire-Passing-Copper-Connection-Tube-GT-G-16-/391271458840?hash=item5b1998a818

I soldered some scrap over one end........filed it to the same profile as the tube......soldered it about halfway into the 90 and cut/filed off the excess.

The thermometer probe fits into it perfectly. I added some heatsink/thermal transfer paste to the probe before shoving it in there.

It appears to be accurate enough within a 2 or 3 degrees tested in and out of the thermowell with boiling water and ice.
When I could be bothered I'll calibrate the thermometer to measure completely spot on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dez

equipment: 3" glasser. Smallest Primus tubes.
T500 boiler

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri May 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Thats how I built my thermowell on my boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Dez » Fri May 27, 2016 8:26 pm

Putting one in a boiler is something else I'll get around to doing one of these days. :think:
Dez

equipment: 3" glasser. Smallest Primus tubes.
T500 boiler

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat May 28, 2016 12:04 am

Should be able to get a weldless type that does up the same as an element I reckon. The one on my boiler is but was too big to put in 2" pipe.
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby bluc » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:40 pm

Dez wrote:Sorry I didn't see your post earlier WT.

I made and soldered in a thermowell to house the digital thermometer probe.

The thermometer I used was http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-or-DC-8-12V-LCD-digital-thermometer-range-from-50-150-/121051234693?hash=item1c2f374185

To make the thermowell I used http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-6mm-Inner-Dia-Straight-Hold-Wire-Passing-Copper-Connection-Tube-GT-G-16-/391271458840?hash=item5b1998a818

I soldered some scrap over one end........filed it to the same profile as the tube......soldered it about halfway into the 90 and cut/filed off the excess.

The thermometer probe fits into it perfectly. I added some heatsink/thermal transfer paste to the probe before shoving it in there.

It appears to be accurate enough within a 2 or 3 degrees tested in and out of the thermowell with boiling water and ice.
When I could be bothered I'll calibrate the thermometer to measure completely spot on.

So just a bit of pipe with closed end soldered into pipe. Then thermal paste to fill gap between temp probe and pipe(thermowell)?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:31 am

I recon you don't need the thermopaste without it there mite be a. 00001 difference in temp reading
I have 2 one in the pc and one above it
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:34 am

bluc
Site Donor

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:19 pm

Used to use glass and digital thermo's,but wanted to standardize them across my mashing and distillation set up ,I found the 3inch dial thermos with 2and 1/2 inch probe and 1/2 inch NPT thread ,easily available at most brew shops ,donot require batteries ,can be easily adjusted,are more durable and are not bothered by getting wet or bumped.I use a 1/2 inch female NPT to 1/2 inch hose barb fitting to mount them all ,just trim all but 5mm off the hose barb end ,drill a 1/2 hole were ya want the thermo and TIG or braze it on with the hose barb bit located in the 1/2inch hole,ta work really well from boiler to thumper to column and head positions.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Carbonator » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:45 pm

I saw this today;
P1130822 (Medium).JPG

P1130823 (Medium).JPG

The tight fit cap has a socket welded to it, probe with adapter screws into it. I have no idea where to get the gauge/probe.

Also this on a boiler (it needs a good wash on the outside);
P1130821 (Medium).JPG

P1130825 (Medium).JPG

Socket is welded onto side of boiler with adapter/receiver for gauge to slide into (the adapter is a sealed tube)
P1130824 (Medium).JPG

Again, I have no idea where to get these things from, but they do exist.
Carbonator

equipment: Nothing at this stage - just looking for ideas.

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:01 pm

Yep have seen them they are called thermowells. Which is what the copper pipe with closed end replaces. Wondering is the probe supposed to have an airgap around it so it doesnt touch the well or doesnt it matter?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Carbonator » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:23 pm

bluc wrote:Yep have seen them they are called thermowells. Which is what the copper pipe with closed end replaces. Wondering is the probe supposed to have an airgap around it so it doesnt touch the well or doesnt it matter?

It's a really neat fit into the hole with minimal slop, so I'm guessing no contact - but I cold be wrong. Anyways, like electricity, the heat will transfer through contact at the fitting.
Carbonator

equipment: Nothing at this stage - just looking for ideas.

Return to Accessories