A thought: Parrots

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

A thought: Parrots

Postby jacobraven » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:02 pm

Just had a moment but I'm sure there is an explanation. When you have your cooled alcohol running through the parrot what stopping the heads from leaving or people who don't have a fores drain the fores. Like the liquid mixes and essentially it's a mix of everything. Is it just tht the hearts dilute the heads etc
jacobraven

equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Re: A thought: Parrots

Postby bluc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:37 pm

You do get smearing but fores smear into heads anyway.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby WTDist » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:46 pm

I collect fores before i use the parrot. once i got forea gone ill use the parrot so its not smeared. as i get near the end of heads i might empty the parot into a jar and start fresh for hearts
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby jacobraven » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:46 pm

I know I'm saying what's stopping the some heads sticking around in the parrot the whole run;)
jacobraven

Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby jacobraven » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:48 pm

WTDist wrote:I collect fores before i use the parrot. once i got forea gone ill use the parrot so its not smeared. as i get near the end of heads i might empty the parot into a jar and start fresh for hearts

That what I was implying. So really there is nothing besides draining the parrot when you think it's changing.
Or leave 50ml in top of the jar and drain the parrot each time
jacobraven

Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby EziTasting » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:41 pm

If you go over kiwis post about making cuts it shows that you'll end up with a few cuts of heads which I would think would wash out majority of the Fores ...

However if you choose to NOT use precautions then you are your own worst enemy... You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink! Same with this hobby, if have the info and choose to ignor it then that's on you!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby jacobraven » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:06 pm

EziTasting wrote:If you go over kiwis post about making cuts it shows that you'll end up with a few cuts of heads which I would think would wash out majority of the Fores ...

However if you choose to NOT use precautions then you are your own worst enemy... You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink! Same with this hobby, if have the info and choose to ignor it then that's on you!

YOu could assume it would wash it away i guess. Might just drain parrot at each jar
jacobraven

Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby EziTasting » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:22 pm

Not that I'm the person you should measure yourself against, but I take the foreshot out the bottom of the parrot (see 5sd sale space of parrot) then I close the valve at the bottom and start collecting heads out thru the parrot...
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:34 pm

Heads is a lighter alcohol and will float on ethanol by the time you ditch fore's and the first few cut jars as heads there won't be any fore's left in parrot.
On a full 25l spirit run I normally as rule of thumb ditch 200mls fore's (I also ditch 200mls on each batch i strip) and then first 3 cut jars as heads about 900ml, My parrot holds 150ml so I turn over parrot volume 6 times before I start keeping. I think all fore's will be well and truly gone :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:35 pm

Heads are lighter than hearts, so they'll 'float' in the parrot and be taken off first.

Probably :think:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby woodduck » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:36 pm

If I didn't have a drain on my parrot I would empty it after fores or just not use it for fores. As for smearing, I think the amount it smears doesn't warrent emptying the parrot each cut. Just make your parrot as small as possible,this will help but not that small that your alcometer bounces 1" tube seems to be the go.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby EziTasting » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:48 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Heads are lighter than hearts, so they'll 'float' in the parrot and be taken off first.

Probably :think:

There you go, learned another thing today! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
EziTasting

Postby Meatheadinc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:14 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Heads are lighter than hearts, so they'll 'float' in the parrot and be taken off first. 

Probably 

This would only true if it was left for a period of time. In a vessle without turbulence.

If worried about smeared fores/heads. Then dont use a parrot untill they have been removed as mentioned above.
Using many small cuts jars will be the best way of avoiding smearing
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby Undertaker » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:38 am

Experiment for you to try, now I know water isnt the same SG and all that but the principle is there.
Set up your parrot under the kitchen tap and get it running at your normal take-off rate. Add a couple of drops of red food dye and see what happens. Let it clear then add some more red dye, then add some blue straight after the red. See how much purple comes through before the blue. Then add some yellow. How much green do you get before the yellow? That should give you a fair idea of how much your parrot smears and how well it clears.

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby Darwin award » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:59 pm

Meatheadinc wrote:

Probably 

This would only true if it was left for a period of time. In a vessle without turbulence.

If worried about smeared fores/heads. Then dont use a parrot untill they have been removed as mentioned above.
Using many small cuts jars will be the best way of avoiding smearing

Meat has given you the answer...I have a drain and I use it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby Meatheadinc » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:48 am

on second thoughts this wont work either lol.
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Return to Accessories