SJC's Thumper Build

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

SJC's Thumper Build

Postby SJC » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:29 am

Still in the research stage as I'm away at work for another few weeks. :crying-blue:

So after seeing Rummy’s thumper unreal piece of craftsmanship mate and the other’s kicking around I thought it was about time to start on a upgrade for the glasser bulk it up a bit. I have a 80 ltr boiler with 2400 & 3600w elements at the moment just doing single pass with 4 plates very happy with what I’m getting but just looking for that little bit more…. speed , flavor ah I’m kidding myself it’s the WOW factor.
Have had my eye out for small piece of 8” for this purpose but could be waiting for ever to find it & would probably be easier to work around the 6” pipe.
So I have been running a few numbers working around a 6” Inline Thumper.
Looking for a final volume close to 7ltrs including thumper & 4 plates. Would like that little bit more but unsure what is too much for a bath depth in the 6in size.
So the basic plan
FSD 6” x 4” Reducer / Boiler to Thumper
6” Copper Pipe with 6”easy flange approx 500mm, 2” Sight Glass, 2” Fill Port, Small ball valve / drain
Thumper Plate
Cap 2” 430mm
Riser 1 ¾” 420mm
Down Comer 3/4” 400mm with a 2” cup or a couple of 90* and head up the riser still more research needed on this one.

Made a quick spread sheet up to check my volumes its been a while so hope I'm on the right path :?

Thanks

SJC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SJC

equipment: Glasser

Re: SJC's Thumper Build

Postby WTDist » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:16 am

looks like your math skills are correct :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Can i ask why the 500mm of 6" ?

Rummy cut open a piece of 2" down the length of it, annealed and then beat it into shape of a 6", as in he cut a piece of 2" slightly longer than the perimeter of a 6" pipe then split it down middle, made it round and brazed it together. bit of work but cheaper (hmm maybe, maybe no?) than new 6" and easier to come by. you can also make the diameter whatever you want, 8 or 10" can save massive room if needed by lowering height.

Anyway ill be watching :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:42 am

Great to hear sj.
Definitely try and keep your height down to a managable level, last thing you want is having to use a ladder next to your still :teasing-tease:
Have a look into j traps for the dc. That's the way i should have gone but didn't.
Keen to see what you come up with :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Meatheadinc » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:00 pm

at that depth you may have some problems with your trap and vapour bypass.
I have found that the relationship between liquid depth and trap size is not linear.
I larger diameter trap will assist this problem but I suggest a larger diameter thumper would work better and be easier with the same volume
WTDist made a good suggestion.
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby SJC » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks for the input guy's :handgestures-thumbupleft: Yeah I think my head was in the clouds or would have been if I had of increased my rig to that height :))
So the cog's are turning on the next step Finding 8" is pretty much out of the question. Not prepared to hand over that much cabbage at Reece's...

So the hand crafted model it is :doh:
I have a 4" packed section there that I could easily do with out only rum for me & the odd play around with CFW / NGW. This could easily get me the increased bath depth and decrease the overall height of the rig.

The main thing I was going for was being able to remove the thumper plate and make adjustments if needed so might have to put some thought into it.

Maybe 8" Hand made out of 4" / Hand made reducer down to 6" for easy flange & thump plate then onto the boiler damn I wish I had of put 6" Boiler connection... ahhhh decision's decision's

Back to the drawing board or the search function more than likely

SJC
SJC

equipment: Glasser

Return to Accessories