New Fermentation Chamber

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Re: New Fermentation Chamber

Postby andybear » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:25 pm

bluc wrote:
warramungas wrote:
bluc wrote:Is there such a thing as a digital hydrometer? Would be cool to be able to control/ log temp and gravity during fermentation..

Maybe a little off topic but google 'beerbug'. Bit outa my price range for what it does though. Be a nice toy for those with money to throw around though.

That leaves me out lol. Will check it out. I thought there my be a cheap sensor for an arduino.

Has anyone ever tried using scales to do this? If you had 100 lts at SG 1.1 at the start it would weigh 110 kgs then as it fermented down to SG 1.0 it's weight would drop to 100 kgs. So long as the scales started at the same temperature as the ferment its change should only be due to the success in fermentation.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby bluc » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:34 pm

Interesting, I read a suggestion from someone on a beer brewing site of using a submerged hydrometer in a tube with a pressure sensation pad at the top pressure decrease's as gravity drops...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby andybear » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:03 pm

bluc wrote:Interesting, I read a suggestion from someone on a beer brewing site of using a submerged hydrometer in a tube with a pressure sensation pad at the top pressure decrease's as gravity drops...

That sounds a bit inventive. You could use a submersible level sensor that would detect the pressure change at the bottom as the SG dropped but this is getting expensive. The transmitter is at least $100 and the indicator another $20 and you still need a 24 volt supply. This would need to be calibrated too so some test gear would be needed unless you know someone that could help.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:36 am

I'm liking where this topic is going :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Always good to have a few like minded people throwing ideas around.

I've also seen a beer Brewer use a thermo well with an sg meter permanently fixed inside. Used a wifi camera inside his chamber to monitor the sg. I'm not sure it would be very effective, co2 levels and pressures giving false readings, but it was inventive non the less.
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:56 am

Quick update. Having a prick of a time trying to flatten this door panel. Been trying to soak it in water and re-flatten. It refuses to play nice. I really don't want to frame the door, so I might buy another piece of ply instead.

I've come to the the conclusion that I will use 2x globes in coffee tins for heat source. Mostly just because I have all the light fittings on hand from when I built my house. I'm using 2 so that when one globe fails, it will still operate normally.

So today I'm cutting and gluing in the insulation. I need to add 1 noggin in the centre where I will mount my lights and run the wiring, and I'm hopefully going to come up with a design and build a frame that sits ontop to the bench (creating a new Bench top) that will house the controller and all the wiring. Anyway, here's a pic of the insulation being glued.
20160620_084005-1200x1600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CaptainRedBeard

Postby WTDist » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:23 am

:text-+1: with scales. SG refers to weight, 1000gk/m^3 has an sg of 1 and sg is just multiplying the volume by the sg or something liek that. to early for me to remember it perfect. I think if you want to know what it is throughout measure volume perfect and then you will know start and finish gravities just be weight alone
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:59 am

Hmm...

I think I could encorporate digital scales into this. :-B

The more I think about this, the more it's starting to turn into a robot. And all for a hobby :teasing-tease:

Anyone seen this fermenter chamber build before: http://www.brewgeeks.com/build-a-ferm-chamber.html? It's kinda where I'm getting my inspiration from. A few things I think they cut corners with, but overall it's pretty damn awesome. I like the brew software they use to monitor their brews. All displayed on an old computer monitor mounted on the side. Even though I don't need it, I want it. 8-}
CaptainRedBeard

Postby andybear » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:42 am

So I had a quick look on ebay and found this. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-EuroChef ... SwmtJXYN-4
It has a 50g resolution, so as you would be looking for a 10000g change in a 100lt wash it will be more than adequate. It also has a remote indicator, perfect. Its an auction so I don't know the finish price but its up to $54 plus 15 for postage but that looks pretty good to me. Note its the change in weight that we are concerned with, not the actual weight.
andybear

Postby bluc » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:08 pm

This is interesting http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Load-Cell-Scale/ might be able to scale it to whatever size fermenter we have and modify the software so it logs weight at given intervals and add tempurature monitoring as well.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:26 pm

bluc wrote:This is interesting http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Load-Cell-Scale/ might be able to scale it to whatever size fermenter we have and modify the software so it logs weight at given intervals and add tempurature monitoring as well.

That's an interesting read. From what I understood, it was designed for a conveyor belt, and once it hits the required weight, it shifts the belt. Would be very useful for collection jars when doing spirit runs.
CaptainRedBeard

Postby Dig Brinker » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:35 pm

CaptainRedBeard wrote:
bluc wrote:This is interesting http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Load-Cell-Scale/ might be able to scale it to whatever size fermenter we have and modify the software so it logs weight at given intervals and add tempurature monitoring as well.

That's an interesting read. From what I understood, it was designed for a conveyor belt, and once it hits the required weight, it shifts the belt. Would be very useful for collection jars when doing spirit runs.

One robot build at a time, Cap :laughing-rolling:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:54 pm

Dig Brinker wrote:
CaptainRedBeard wrote:

One robot build at a time, Cap :laughing-rolling:

Your sounding a bit like my wife :laughing-rolling:
CaptainRedBeard

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:03 pm

Solved the door problem. Just put damn locking mechanisms on it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
20160620_155224-1200x1600.jpg

Almost got all the insulation done. But im short 3 pieces. Back to bunnings later this arvo. I'm putting white Masonite over the flooring insulation, help spread the weight and not damage the insulation.
20160620_155152-1200x1600.jpg

And got the lights wired. Haven't fed it through the top yet. Want to get the frame built first so I don't have cables getting in the way. Need to get some coffee tins too.
20160620_155204-1200x1600.jpg

Pretty much just need to varnish and wait for Mr postman to come with my goodies :-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CaptainRedBeard

Postby warramungas » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:22 pm

The tins will get extremely hot so be careful they don't touch anything and so will those plastic light fittings. I'm not sure what their temperature tolerance is as all the built up heat off the globes that isn't radiating out of the metal will travel up across the plastic. My light is in an all metal fitting that is designed to get hot (for heat lamps) so that's why mine is pointing down.
It might be better having them upright and a few air holes in the top of the tin to allow the excess air heat to go up and out instead of across your light fitting.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:45 pm

Thanks for the advice warra.

My fridge used plastic too, but it was horizontally installed. The plastic did deteriorate over 2 years, became brittle and useless. I'll look into all metal fittings. Rather not burn my garage down.
CaptainRedBeard

Postby warramungas » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:37 pm

CaptainRedBeard wrote:Thanks for the advice warra.

My fridge used plastic too, but it was horizontally installed. The plastic did deteriorate over 2 years, became brittle and useless. I'll look into all metal fittings. Rather not burn my garage down.

Not just the outside of the fitting need to worry about. There's plastic bits inside as well mate. May be fine but id keep a close eye on it for awhile.
warramungas

30 liter boiler
PDA-1

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:17 pm

http://www.brewerschoice.net.au/html/De ... oller.html

I have 2 of these. Put 2 belts on each controller.. Set them at 30c. I have 2 belts on my 220l ex olive drum outside in garage, it sits on 10mm rubber to insulate from cold concrete, with thick insulation I got from job I was on and top exposed. It's off more than it on when I run it. I'm in Melb and it gets cold out there. I don't see why u would use any heat without regulating it somehow.

I hope that links ok, it's not as tho anyone's gunna buy anything there when there's better quality at macs shop!
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby warramungas » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:04 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:http://www.brewerschoice.net.au/html/Detail%20information/Temperature%20controller.html

I have 2 of these. Put 2 belts on each controller.. Set them at 30c. I have 2 belts on my 220l ex olive drum outside in garage, it sits on 10mm rubber to insulate from cold concrete, with thick insulation I got from job I was on and top exposed. It's off more than it on when I run it. I'm in Melb and it gets cold out there. I don't see why u would use any heat without regulating it somehow.

I hope that links ok, it's not as tho anyone's gunna buy anything there when there's better quality at macs shop!

30 degrees is the kiss of fruity death for most of your standard ales and lagers. What temp do distilleries maintain their washes at or what's the recommended temp?
warramungas

30 liter boiler
PDA-1

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:09 pm

Haha rum :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kale :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Most crappy neutrals
But if u gunna heat it, why wouldn't u regulate the temps?
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:32 am

Heat belts aren't for me wobbly. I'm after an ambient temperature for the whole chamber, not just individual washes. Could be useful if I was brewing say, a whiskey and a rum at the same time, where the wash temperatures are different. But this is not the case for me.
CaptainRedBeard

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories