Wash port?

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Wash port?

Postby stilllearning » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:28 am

Was having a day dream today about the possibility of adding a wash port of some kind to the still, is this something that's been done before?

After the last couple of experimental /test runs I've either broken the still down and washed each part, which takes a fair amount of time, or I've connected the hose to the drain port on the bottom of the keg and filled the entire still from the bottom up. This obviously wastes at least 50L of water (we're on level 3 water restrictions here).

So what about a valved port say above the reflux condenser that you can hook the hose to and flood the column top-down through the plates, and drain out the keg drain? Surely it has to be better for a fast rinse between runs?
If I was laying the still up for storage for a fair while I'd still do a break down and rinse though.
stilllearning

equipment: 4" Modular Glass Bubbler

Re: Wash port?

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:37 am

How do you dry it out after flushing and if reuse the water after cleaning like use it on plants is not a waste.
wynnum1

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:44 am

You could put a 1/2" stainless ball valve on the back side of the 180° (above the RC) with a hose barb/fitting on it. Preferably a lockable one so you don't forget it and leave it open ;-)

That was my plan for Agrajag :crying-blue:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby maddogpearse » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:56 am

Get a block head! :teasing-tease:
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:04 am

Woodduck does something where he floods the column, can't find the post though, if he doesn't see this thread maybe shoot him a pm?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:09 am

Here you go, not quite what I remembered but might be a solution
http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6067&start=60#p129890
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby stilllearning » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:20 am

Hmmm interesting, thanks guys. I hadn't thought of making it so I could hold citric acid or other cleaning fluid in the column, might come up with something similar and also add a port somehow to rinse the column afterwards.

Here I was thinking I'd finished my build :-D
stilllearning

Postby andybear » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:04 pm

I disconnect my Parrot and breather tube and connect the water supply to the bottom of the product condenser and flood upwards and over through the column into the boiler. The hose fittings I use are the same as the cooling water and copper tube fittings. I do this after a every run and before a run just in case some critters made a home inside my tubing. I also remove the top bend and pour hot rum Dunder down the column after about 10 runs or so.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby stilllearning » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:10 pm

Thats a good idea too Andybear, don't have to fill the keg that way. The only advantage of filling from the boiler side is that each plate chamber fills completely, bar a couple of bubbles that get caught under each plate. Filling from above the RC or from the PC outlet, do you find that the plates drain too fast for the chambers to fill to a decent level?
stilllearning

Postby WTDist » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:24 pm

i would think you could flood the plates this way so it may hold water more if it is on fast enough, but maybe not
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby andybear » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:52 pm

stilllearning wrote: Filling from above the RC or from the PC outlet, do you find that the plates drain too fast for the chambers to fill to a decent level?

I attach at the pc discharge.
I would say that I get at least half full on all the plates. Just be careful to have a breather open on the boiler so you don't pressure it up, mains pressure is about 100 psi. I then blow air through the same port using a hand pump to clear the water and it does pretty good. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby stilllearning » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:35 pm

Righto, sounds easy enough - I might give this a go next run before I get carried away with any modifications
stilllearning

Return to Accessories