3" Gin Head

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

3" Gin Head

Postby Magnus » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:11 pm

Started working on my 3" gin head today, not much done but it's a start.
Anyways heres some pics...

Decided to go with SS flanges

pieces.jpg

Soldered using Mack's guide, it works...

dirty.jpg

After a quick clean up...

clean.jpg

Sitting on the sight glass...

mock.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Magnus

equipment: 3" still

Re: 3" Gin Head

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:30 pm

Watching with interest.

Are you going an offset carter head, or just an inline basket?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Magnus » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:36 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Watching with interest.

Are you going an offset carter head, or just an inline basket?

Not entirely certain yet, the sight glass will be a thumper with a drain valve either on the bottom if I go offset or on the side if I go inline.. Was thinking of one of WT's posts and maybe going inline and having a downcomer as a fail safe aswell as a side drain near the bottom to drain off oils.
Magnus

Postby WTDist » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:40 pm

ill be watching too :D
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Magnus » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:46 pm

Not a lot done today, feeling lazy..
Cut up the old pot still for the 2" stuff..

bits.jpg

block.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Magnus

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:24 pm

He's at it again ,will add another dimension to your ability for sure ,was just curiouse to know how you expanded the pipe ta fit the ferrules ,can be a stumbleling point for some.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Magnus » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:44 pm

hillzabilly wrote:He's at it again ,will add another dimension to your ability for sure ,was just curiouse to know how you expanded the pipe ta fit the ferrules ,can be a stumbleling point for some.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

A while back someone on here posted an ebay link to this set of expanders so I got myself a set, about $30 - $40 or so it was.

exp.jpg
Magnus

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:59 pm

They are exhaust pipe expanders,you got the knack with metal ,I bought a set and really struggled ta get a good even job and ended up stripping the thread on the size I really needed ,by useing the rattle gun :angry-banghead: .cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Magnus » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:06 pm

hillzabilly wrote:They are exhaust pipe expanders,you got the knack with metal ,I bought a set and really struggled ta get a good even job and ended up stripping the thread on the size I really needed ,by useing the rattle gun :angry-banghead: .cheers hillzabilly

I find it best annealing the copper first then expand in small increments, loosen it off and turn inside the pipe to keep it round as it tends to make flat spots.
Magnus

Postby Magnus » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:00 pm

Got a bit more done today.

Bits.
IMG_6733.jpg

IMG_6734.jpg

IMG_6735.jpg

IMG_6737.jpg

IMG_6738.jpg
Last edited by Magnus on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnus

Postby Magnus » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:03 pm

IMG_6739.jpg

IMG_6740.jpg

IMG_6742.jpg

IMG_6743.jpg

Sitting on the boiler, the plan is to run it on top of 5 plates.
IMG_6745.jpg
Magnus

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:00 pm

Most run the thumper underneath plates,do ya know how much liquid it holds ?,with a 10% wash the thumper will supply ya plates with a higher ABV ,almost as if you had a 40%ABV wash,so hitting azeo should be easier and give a faster speed without loseing quality,I do not think the result from putting it above will be better, but as I have not tryed it I could be wrong,give it a try both ways Iam sure interested ta find out the result.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby WTDist » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:03 pm

how long is the downcomer cap?

it needs to be a decent length to not be overcome by pressure

Hilz he is going for an inile carter head above the RC rather than an ofset one

looking at the pic does it have a downcomer or is it a DC and then a tap to drain??
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:12 pm

Cheers for that ,donot think I have seen an in line one yet,lookin forward to seeing the finished unit.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

Postby Magnus » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:14 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Most run the thumper underneath plates,do ya know how much liquid it holds ?

Hey Hill's It should work just like Mac's carter heads, the thumper is more to catch oils and be able to drain them off with the ball valve.

WTDist wrote:how long is the downcomer cap?

looking at the pic does it have a downcomer or is it a DC and then a tap to drain??

WT the downcomer cup is 60mm long, I'm hoping it will be good enough, there is also a ball valve on the side to drain off as well.
Magnus

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:11 pm

No worries I see were ya going now ,had ta laugh when I looked at the pic with the thread tap ,I could almost smell the old tin of trefelex cutting paste from my workshop days,good stuff tho for tapping stainless.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

Postby Magnus » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:32 pm

It's a good cutting compound alright, had the same old tin for years now and I doubt I'll ever use it all up.
Magnus

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:29 pm

My old man is still using the tin of Treflex that he pinched from BHP during his apprenticeship in the 80's :laughing-rolling:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:11 pm

With haveing two bubble caps with potentialy deep baths ,you may find the vapour seeks the easiest way thru by going thru one only,or one may run a fair bit harder,or even bypass thru the downcomer,something that does not seem ta happen with shallow bath depths.Anyhooo only one way ta find out.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby Carbonator » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:05 pm

Magnus wrote:
hillzabilly wrote:They are exhaust pipe expanders,you got the knack with metal ,I bought a set and really struggled ta get a good even job and ended up stripping the thread on the size I really needed ,by useing the rattle gun :angry-banghead: .cheers hillzabilly

I find it best annealing the copper first then expand
:handgestures-thumbupleft:

As Magnus states, there is no other way with said devices.
Carbonator

equipment: Nothing at this stage - just looking for ideas.

Next

Return to Accessories