Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:56 pm

Mattcoff...3kg of sugar but the mollasses also contains around 50% fermentable sugar and lots of flavour :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Regarding cuts...hard to be exact as some use double potstilling some use bubblers..
I double potstill and around a third was good to keep. The rest of the heads and tails I stick in the reflux still to make a bacardi
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Redux » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:27 pm

with regards to stripping and spirit runs....

pot for stripping and 4 plate with no packed section for the spirit run??
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:29 pm

Just go a single pass through 4 plates, no packed section.

I was supposed to edit the original recipe post, but forgot.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Redux » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:40 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Just go a single pass through 4 plates, no packed section.

and @65% that goes directly to oak??
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby Brendan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:41 pm

Redux wrote:
Zak Griffin wrote:Just go a single pass through 4 plates, no packed section.

and @65% that goes directly to oak??

Yeah mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: To what Zak said. I've done a batch of double distilled pot stuff for comparison, but if you've got a plated column, the single pass stuff is amazing.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Sinerjee » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:07 pm

If doing generations with a bubbler, do you still do a single pass but store the low wines until you've got enough generations mixed up? Or have I read the generationing incorrectly.
Sinerjee

equipment: FSD 4" Modular Pot
FSD 4" Packed Section, RC and Gin Caddy added.
30L Keg running on Gas.

Postby BIG D » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Sinerjee wrote:If doing generations with a bubbler, do you still do a single pass but store the low wines until you've got enough generations mixed up? Or have I read the generationing incorrectly.

Hey bud as single pass you will do cuts each time and keep the good stuff put it on oak and after you have gone your generations you could blend if you like , so each run is a spirit run. ;-)
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby mattcoffs » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:43 pm

So is rum like a whiskey, in that a lot of the flavours come through with the tails?
mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:47 pm

People keep saying that flavour is in the tails, but i personally leave anything that tastes anything like tails out of my hearts...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:50 pm

you wont find any tails in my rums, or heads for that matter...... doesnt get to bad a review compared to others either ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:People keep saying that flavour is in the tails, but i personally leave anything that tastes anything like tails out of my hearts...

:text-+1:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:46 pm

I think Sam can vouch for my rum... I've still got the heads and tails from my first and only rum run, they'll be going in on top of the spirit run this weekend :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:50 pm

BourbonJunkie wrote: It turns out there is a truck operator who is buying the product from Harwood Mill and distributing it to various local produce outlets. That is how Pullens get their product, and it seems that Norco in Grafton are purchasing their molasses from the same truck operator.

From what Ive been told by my local supplier, the same bloke has all molasses deliveries to all produce stores in the our area tied up. He has a contract to buy all the molasses from all the mills from the QLD border down to Harwood, which is the most Southern Mill on the East Coast. Condong and Broadwater Mills being the other two. Until a couple of years ago anyone with a tanker big or small could buy from the same mills. Going back a few years before that you could turn up with your own 44Gal drum and get it filled straight from the Mills Molasses tank.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Sam. » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:11 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:I think Sam can vouch for my rum... I've still got the heads and tails from my first and only rum run, they'll be going in on top of the spirit run this weekend :)

Sure can :D

When I finally get around to doing a rum I hope I get the same quality :handgestures-thumbupleft:

But you might be hard pressed to beat the bottle I brought back from the WABS ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:12 pm

Like I said, that WAS my first rum... Only 5ish months old when I bottled it too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Stoney » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:17 pm

I notice the start of the tails (2/3 of the way through) from the first pot still run have a slight oil sheen on top and if you let it sit overnight in the jar the entire jar goes slightly cloudy. my first gen it was very noticeable and I wondered if my jars were clean. these were cloudy off the still.
second run not so much but it was visible next day.

might do my third gen run shortly, should be ready to go i think. OG was 1.102 and it was at 1.022 last night.
I measured pH at 4.7 again and this time added a good couple of tablespoons of bicarb soda, didnt measure it, should have. after stirring in it brought the pH up to 5.8. next day I think it had restarted but not a lot, so I added more yeast and this ones done and dusted in only 3 days instead of 5 so it likes the pH upped a bit I think.

measured dunder from the last gens at 4.7 as well.

also .. never noticed it said raw sugar before, been using white sugar the whole time.
Stoney

equipment: 55l nixon stone 1 3/8 column, propane + electric
2" pot column

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:32 pm

I think variations in molasses supply will change the taste more than using white instead of raw sugar :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Stoney » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:56 pm

can't edit last post, FG was 1.032 not 1.022, so it was finished in 2 days I think !
going to keep that pH up from now on, depending on taste of this batch running now.

and just into the hearts now I reckon, it appears to taste a bit better though its a bit hard to tell till its cooler, last batches have an almost licorice taste to them. this one seems a bit more neutral.
Stoney

equipment: 55l nixon stone 1 3/8 column, propane + electric
2" pot column

Postby mattcoffs » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:18 pm

So i stripped my first gen of Macrum on Sunday night and i had a few interesting observations...

I was just going to see what happens, but in the meantime might ask.

It was a macrum to the letter, when running temp seemed to rise very quickly from 60ish and held at 90/91 where I pulled 4l (in litre mason jars, no foreshot cut) off - it was a 25l ferment.
Being that the temp rose so rapidly i thought perhaps the ferment had actually stalled on me - but the next day when everything was at 20C i measured 1/65% 2/60% 3/55% 4/50% so i possibly could've pulled more. I'm a little puzzled by it.

Secondly, the left over dunder smells more like rum than the collected low wines... Is this normal for a first gen strip?

I thought i was getting my head around everything, and then this rum caper knocked me right back down on my arse :laughing-rolling:
mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Postby BIG D » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:34 pm

mattcoffs wrote:So i stripped my first gen of Macrum on Sunday night and i had a few interesting observations...

I was just going to see what happens, but in the meantime might ask.

It was a macrum to the letter, when running temp seemed to rise very quickly from 60ish and held at 90/91 where I pulled 4l (in litre mason jars, no foreshot cut) off - it was a 25l ferment.
Being that the temp rose so rapidly i thought perhaps the ferment had actually stalled on me - but the next day when everything was at 20C i measured 1/65% 2/60% 3/55% 4/50% so i possibly could've pulled more. I'm a little puzzled by it.

Secondly, the left over dunder smells more like rum than the collected low wines... Is this normal for a first gen strip?

I thought i was getting my head around everything, and then this rum caper knocked me right back down on my arse :laughing-rolling:

Ok now I know its hard to let go sometimes but you gotta ditch the thermometer when your running a pot still. ;-)
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development