Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby Andy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:47 pm

Sam. wrote:Blue distillate is from an alkaline wash (high PH) not from too much nitrogen ;-)

this is off topic but certain amino acids as a nitrogen source, are metabolised into urea, or nitrogen sources high in urea to begin with can be metabolised by the yeast into ammonia. doesn't matter if you have perfect pH, but if you have ammonia + water you will get ammonia hydroxide, and that wont react too well with copper. copper wont like an alkaline wash, thought i doubt you wont be getting your yeast to work in a wash alkaline enough to damage copper.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Sam. » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Andy wrote:
Sam. wrote:Blue distillate is from an alkaline wash (high PH) not from too much nitrogen ;-)

this is off topic but certain amino acids as a nitrogen source, are metabolised into urea, or nitrogen sources high in urea to begin with can be metabolised by the yeast into ammonia. doesn't matter if you have perfect pH, but if you have ammonia + water you will get ammonia hydroxide, and that wont react too well with copper. copper wont like an alkaline wash, thought i doubt you wont be getting your yeast to work in a wash alkaline enough to damage copper.

I don't know the science behind it but I have always understood the high PH will have the affect of blue distillate, I have only ever seen it once personally and that was a mates little HBS rig with turbo ran through it and it was fluoro blue and stank baaaaddddd. Exact same wash they always did and through the same still so not sure what happened.

If nitrogen was the problem then you would think putting too much DAP in the wash would cause it.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby thedarkmesh » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:27 pm

So my mash has been on for 5 days, and not sure if it is done or not. No more activity from the air lock and has been above 25c the whole time normally sitting at 31-32c. Has it stalled? more yeast? or let it sit for a few more days before through in the Still? I don't have SG due to the molasses.

Thought I'd also ask here being a rum recipe!
thedarkmesh

equipment: Turbo Boiler + 5 Star 4" Modular Still

Postby Andy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:47 pm

Andy wrote:How long will it take to ferment?
Mac- Mine is normally finished fermenting in under seven days, then I leave it for at least a few more days to settle, so yeah 2 weeks should be plenty…. Now the weather is a bit warmer it should ferment out in 5 to 7 days… It'll ferment slower in the cooler month
shornomovie- 3 days at 30deg
Experience from members suggests that fermentation will take as little as 2 days, and up to 10 days depending on nutrients, but more importantly, on temperature.

Probably would be finished fermenting after 5 days. from my experience rum is rare to stall. you can give it a taste- if its dry its ready, if it still sweet leave it for a few more days.

Check page 1 for the FAQ, might be handy to have a read for running and oaking tips :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby thedarkmesh » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:43 pm

Andy wrote:
Andy wrote:How long will it take to ferment?
Mac- Mine is normally finished fermenting in under seven days, then I leave it for at least a few more days to settle, so yeah 2 weeks should be plenty…. Now the weather is a bit warmer it should ferment out in 5 to 7 days… It'll ferment slower in the cooler month
shornomovie- 3 days at 30deg
Experience from members suggests that fermentation will take as little as 2 days, and up to 10 days depending on nutrients, but more importantly, on temperature.

Probably would be finished fermenting after 5 days. from my experience rum is rare to stall. you can give it a taste- if its dry its ready, if it still sweet leave it for a few more days.

Check page 1 for the FAQ, might be handy to have a read for running and oaking tips :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'll give it a sip in the morning to see how it is going and hopefully clear up a little (if it has finished)
thedarkmesh

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:17 am

Rum doesn't really clear mate, run it and get those nice fruity yeasty flavours through :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby thedarkmesh » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:31 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Rum doesn't really clear mate, run it and get those nice fruity yeasty flavours through :handgestures-thumbupleft:

uumm clear wasn't the term I was after... sediment? mostly just to get all the stuff/gunk to fall to the bottom of the barrel. It tastes pretty dry so I'll run it Wednesday when I got some free time.
thedarkmesh

Postby CH3CH2OH » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:51 pm

Do you find your rum runs are 100% crystal clear like your TPW?
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby CH3CH2OH » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:44 pm

I seem to get a very very slight tinge of color in fores and heads but hearts run crystal clear
CH3CH2OH

Postby CH3CH2OH » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:16 pm

Can you tell the difference?

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sam. on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed pic orientation
CH3CH2OH

Postby 1 2many » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:27 pm

Yep...the one on the left has more in it . :O)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby CH3CH2OH » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:49 am

It is slight but the one with less is crystal clear. The color is very slight but disappeared when hearts came.
It was a bit more noticeable with first 200ml fores but I tossed those before I took pics

If you zoom in you can notice it. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this on their runs
CH3CH2OH

Postby thedarkmesh » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:30 pm

CH3CH2OH wrote:I seem to get a very very slight tinge of color in fores and heads but hearts run crystal clear

I just did a stripping run today, and the fores do have a slight tinge of color. Also my 5 day mash turned out great and was fully fermented :-D
thedarkmesh

Postby George.bryant.nz » Sun May 03, 2015 11:04 am

Just ran my 5th Gen :-)

Do I run the diluted low wines in my pot still or reflux? I'm assuming pot still to ensure flavours come through.

Sorry if it's a dumb question...
George.bryant.nz

equipment: Copperhead combo boiler, copperhead reflux head, copperhead pot head, air still, 2 x cooper fermenters, 1 x imake fermenter. Hydrometers, alchometers and various other bits and bobs.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun May 03, 2015 11:54 am

Spirit run through the pot mate, for a full flavored rum.

Run through the reflux for a nice light Bacardi-style white rum though, if thats your style :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby George.bryant.nz » Sun May 03, 2015 12:10 pm

Nar I want full on rum lol, no weak Bacardi piña colada style shit lol.

I kept 500ml from my 2nd gen run and chucked it on plain oak out of curiosity, ended up at 20% as I over diluted. Will be all good to chuck in with the rest won't it?
George.bryant.nz

equipment: Copperhead combo boiler, copperhead reflux head, copperhead pot head, air still, 2 x cooper fermenters, 1 x imake fermenter. Hydrometers, alchometers and various other bits and bobs.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun May 03, 2015 12:22 pm

Chuck it in! ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Mon May 04, 2015 11:06 am

If you haven't cleaned your still after the previous run, and especially if it was a rum run the fores sometimes pick up some crud on the way out and by the time hearts arrive it's sparkling clean
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Camikaze » Mon May 04, 2015 9:40 pm

Err..clean my still... Isnt that what fores are for? :wtf:

I guess it adds to the flavour profile.. :whistle:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Urrazeb » Tue May 05, 2015 7:38 pm

Camikaze wrote:Err..clean my still... Isnt that what fores are for? :wtf:

I guess it adds to the flavour profile.. :whistle:

Yep, that's why the fores are discoloured sometimes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development