Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby WTDist » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:47 pm

ahh ok, i never found that one, after this site i didnt look.
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby emma2223 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:48 pm

i can only hope it works ill give a result if you would like
emma2223

equipment: turbo 500

Postby Professor Green » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:55 pm

I don't get anywhere near as scientific as that.

I make my washes in 30 litre drums and have done the last few batches in the following manner:
Add 5kg of sugar to about 8 litres of really hot water (the water is usually close to boiling as I use a large urn to give me enough water to make 4 25 litre washes)
Mix in 250g tomato paste and the juice from one lemon
add a pinch or two of epsom salt
Top up to 25 litres with cold water from the tap (I turn the hose on full blast for this to aerate the wash before adding the yeast and I run the hose through an inline filter to remove any chlorine)
This usually brings the temperature down to about 30 degrees Celsius ready for the yeast.
Give it a really good stir and whilst the water is still circulating, sprinkle 80g of yeast on top then stir gently.
Once that is done I rest the lid of the fermenter on top for the next 24 hours then I put the lid and airlock on properly, turn on the heat pad and wrap with a blanket to keep the heat in.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Professor Green » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:58 pm

I experimented with an extra kilo of sugar in a 25 litre wash once and all it did was start and finish with a higher SG with end result being the same amount of alcohol in the wash. I suspect the yeast was not able to convert the extra sugar.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby WTDist » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:59 pm

im much the same although i use a stick blender to mix the yeast in and aerate. works wonders, even makes a whirlpool thing in the middle
WTDist

Postby emma2223 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:58 pm

my 22l tpw with just under 4 kg now to wait :think: thankyou for the information on the sugar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emma2223

equipment: turbo 500

Postby Shmacked » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:55 pm

Just finished my first TPW. I did a 27L wash with 6kg of sugar but I think next time I'll just do 25L with 5kg.

I collected just under 3.5L at 90% with my T500 and didn't make any cuts what so ever as I have another wash that will be ready next week that'll I run then combine both and run again. Can I add hot water when watering down to 40% to help speed up the boiler?

So far I'm happy with the price of the TPW and the yield even though I haven't made any cuts yet.
I would be happier if it would ferment a bit faster. So far it takes around 2 weeks, but maybe cutting back the sugar will help
Shmacked

equipment: Currently have a SS T500.

Postby Professor Green » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:37 pm

A couple of weeks seems fairly standard for a TPW. This is not a pastime for the impatient - good things take time as they say. For this recipe, any more than 5kg of sugar in a 25 litre wash is probably just a waste of sugar.

Cheers,
Prof. Green
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby WTDist » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:44 pm

when i water low wines down for a run i will use hot water but not that hot that the ethanol will boil off. I may save some time but be careful.
Im watering this down from 90% so if it was a flavored wash or pot striped it wont be worth while.
I find TPW takes less than a week in summer so those are the fast happy stillin days if you have the time. Winter is slow without a heating source
WTDist

Postby Shmacked » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:57 pm

Thanks guys!
Shmacked

equipment: Currently have a SS T500.

Postby Swampdog » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:11 pm

I am very knew to this hobby this is my 3rd wash.
I went to wollies Friday got all the goodies sugar, yeast, tom paste, had some lemons. Dissolved the sugar & TP in hot water. Filled the 30ltr fermenter up to 20ltr ph it with the lemon & added the yeast.
Yesterday I still hadn't seen any movement on the airlock
I thought it may have been that it was to cold. I searched the house for electric blanket but all been thrown out.
So found a fish tank heater. Filled an otto bin up to 3/4 of the fermenter & set the heater at 32. A little water pump to circulate the water.
This morning still no movement. I took the lid off the fermenter heaps of action. But only new to this hobby I put another 80gr of yeast in
As I was putting the lid on I noticed the airlock didn't look right. It had been burnt right on the corner where the gases go into it. How I don't no. I put my finger in the top & blew the shaft & shore enough it was leaking.
My question is will all that yeast hurt anything. Or should I just chuck it & start again.
It's bubbling away crazy now.
Swampdog

equipment: Pot still

Postby 1 2many » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:21 pm

It will be fine mate, Airlocks are a big trap (no pun intended) but often give the brewer a false indication of wether brew is actually working.

They seem to always leak.

A lot of the guys here just use any sort of cover to keep out the nasties, I use pallet shrink wrap and never had an issue. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby WTDist » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:34 pm

I only use my airlocks so i can connect a hose to them and carry my fermenting smell outside. this way i keep them indoors and the smell out. IF this wasnt the case i would put a hydrometer in and use glad-wrap then when its ready i will know by the hydrometer and being able to see without opening.

And im sure one does leak 8-} not my hoses, the damn airlock
WTDist

Postby Swampdog » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:10 pm

Thanks fellas. Will not worry so much next time
Swampdog

equipment: Pot still

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:18 am

I use those 80 litre olive barrel with the 2 piece lid
Havent used the screw on part for quite a while just push the other piece in and that does it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Nino » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:57 pm

Damned I forgot the citric acid :sad: . It is my first TPW if it starts bubbling I will be happy it is for a sacrificial run I will get the next one right :)
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby Sam. » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:45 pm

Nino wrote:Damned I forgot the citric acid :sad: . It is my first TPW if it starts bubbling I will be happy it is for a sacrificial run I will get the next one right :)

It will start and finish :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby GFC07 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:52 pm

dont stress on not putting in the citric acid, i have forgot the last three times and just takes a little longer to ferment
GFC07

equipment: Home made 50 Lt keg Re-flux still,
5 x 30 Lt fermentors
1 x 200 Lt fermentor
3 x 19 Ltr home brew beer kegs
Bar fridge with pluto gun

Soon to be finished:
500 Lt Keezer with 7 taps with space for 10 kegs

Postby P3T3rPan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:09 pm

Very forgiving recipe
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby Nino » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks guys it is bubbling away nicely. I will have to put another one in the next day or two :)
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development