Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby Sam. » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:50 am

sp0rk wrote:I
I'm using Subert Lefort dominoes from the bulk buy, I gave them a 10 minute soak in boiling water first to rinse off any nasties before chucking them in

If your putting them in 60+ % ABV nasties won't be a worry.

I would be more concerned about how much about you ripped from the oak with your pre soaking :?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:18 am

:text-+1: you've probably just taken 6 months out of the oak...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby sp0rk » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:23 am

actually now I think about it, I might not have soaked those ones
I think I soaked some I had in my first batch of CFW, which I ended up redistilling because I added too much heads, then used new dominoes
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby bluc » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:30 pm

Rush006 wrote:Just put down my first Rum wash using Dunder from the dunder pit its a mac rum with 7lt of fresh dunder and 2 lt from pit. the dunder from pit smells a lot nicer and rummy'er than the fresh stuff. SG of 1.104 and a PH of 5.7. I was to scared to put all Dunder from pit on my first try. :o . I also put in DAP and VIT B
This is also the first wash I have played with PH. I figure it should drop during ferment. Is this a good starting point for Rum?
I have only put pit dunder in boiler with wash before and it was definitely a stronger rum flavour but won't know for sure of the flavour for a few months.
Fingers crossed this works. If so ill start using more Dunder from pit in the next one.

Ive been still'n for about 10 months now and have made some ordinary rum and some bloody beautiful stuff. currently got about 60l ageing on oak. Its hard to keep up with my drinking/ tasting habits.I made quite a lot of demi's of all different flavours like raisins, vanilla, orange peel, cinnamon, caramel and strong oak. while each one is a little to strong by themselves, I've found blending them in different ratios has made some really complex flavours in my rum. I drink my rum straight as a sipper and am very happy with what I'm drinking now. Hopefully the Dunder Pit just adds another dimension to my rum. will post results of this first wash once distilled and again in a few months.

cheers Rush

Sounds great :handgestures-thumbupleft: im just about to start playing with dunder and generations myself and am interested to see how yours turns out. Not a fan of spiced rum so i drink mine with nothing added except sometimes some gonger beer or coke. I quite like it straight also :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Rush006 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:57 pm

The 3 runs i have done with aged under definitely taste and smell better than without. My Dunder pits are not really old as I read an article somewhere that said dunder starts producing the right esters and acids from 14 to 21 days. I did drop a little inner health plus into the first pit to get it started and it smells so good. Down the track I will try to source a few other recomended bacteria. Touch wood so far all good.

At first I was a little worried about the bacteria and drinking it but Alcohol kills bacteria once over 7 or 8% so it really is just the flavours coming through.Even in the mash half way through the ferment the bacteria should be killed off and just leave those yummy flavours. I don't think any bacteria will survive 92 to 93% from the still. If i am wrong or misread anything please let me know. So far i have been trusting my nose. if it smells good and rummy it must be good. It all tasted great so far. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rush006

equipment: mac4 ssg

Postby Rush006 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:05 pm

My first mash with aged Dunder is chugging away nicely and getting very close to finishing. a couple of days to settle then ill run it through the still. Not sure if ill throw a little more aged Dunder in for distilling or just see how strong this turns out first.
Rush006

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi all, just wondering what brand of Molasses people are using? Ive got up a fair stock of Whisky and am thinking about giving Rum ago. My local stockfeed joint sells Fremantle, is this O.K?

Cheers
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Rush006 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:20 pm

The stuff I use does not have a brand it is from a stock feed place down the road.it comes in a IBC. I just fill up my 20l plastic jerry for about $22.00. I have got it from a few different places and its all been good. I have noticed low yields from the refills when the ICB is almost empty. but that could be something I'm doing wrong. :D
Rush006

Postby tipsy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:47 am

TasSpirits wrote:. My local stockfeed joint sells Fremantle, is this O.K?

Cheers

That's what I use. Makes nice rum imho.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby bluc » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:48 pm

Rusg006 do you have any good reading on setting up and using a dunder pit?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Rush006 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:25 pm

I found all this through this forum and another. hope the links work for you.
Rush006

Postby bluc » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:31 pm

Cheers thanks :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Rush006 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:56 pm

bluc wrote:
Rush006 wrote:Just put down my first Rum wash using Dunder from the dunder pit its a mac rum with 7lt of fresh dunder and 2 lt from pit. the dunder from pit smells a lot nicer and rummy'er than the fresh stuff. SG of 1.104 and a PH of 5.7. I was to scared to put all Dunder from pit on my first try. :o . I also put in DAP and VIT B
This is also the first wash I have played with PH. I figure it should drop during ferment. Is this a good starting point for Rum?
I have only put pit dunder in boiler with wash before and it was definitely a stronger rum flavour but won't know for sure of the flavour for a few months.
Fingers crossed this works. If so ill start using more Dunder from pit in the next one.

Ive been still'n for about 10 months now and have made some ordinary rum and some bloody beautiful stuff. currently got about 60l ageing on oak. Its hard to keep up with my drinking/ tasting habits.I made quite a lot of demi's of all different flavours like raisins, vanilla, orange peel, cinnamon, caramel and strong oak. while each one is a little to strong by themselves, I've found blending them in different ratios has made some really complex flavours in my rum. I drink my rum straight as a sipper and am very happy with what I'm drinking now. Hopefully the Dunder Pit just adds another dimension to my rum. will post results of this first wash once distilled and again in a few months.

cheers Rush

Sounds great :handgestures-thumbupleft: im just about to start playing with dunder and generations myself and am interested to see how yours turns out. Not a fan of spiced rum so i drink mine with nothing added except sometimes some gonger beer or coke. I quite like it straight also :handgestures-thumbupleft:

well its defiantly finished SG is 1.026 and PH of 5.2. and smells good. will run it in the next few days. :D
Rush006

Postby Rush006 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:34 pm

Ran my Rum the other day and it tastes better than anything else straight of the still. So the aged Dunder is doing something good to my rum. will know in a few months. my 2 Dunder pits are starting to get really funky now with a good growth of mold over the top. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rush006

Postby bluc » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:07 pm

Rush006 wrote:Ran my Rum the other day and it tastes better than anything else straight of the still. So the aged Dunder is doing something good to my rum. will know in a few months. my 2 Dunder pits are starting to get really funky now with a good growth of mold over the top. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Can you pinpoint any particular flavours? Toffee caramels etc, or is it just a stronger overall fuller flavour?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Rush006 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:08 pm

as raw rum it is really hard to describe. the only thing i can say is it is more rummy and smoother than anything else from still. it could be partly because I'm learning to run my still better or the dunder is adding another dimension to the taste. the pits smell is getting stronger so I'm guessing the next run should be stronger. will post some photos of pit when i get a chance.
Rush006

Postby stattonb » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:29 pm

have had this sitting on qoak for 3 weeks and had a sample of it water down to 40% not to much flavour atm is this normal ???
stattonb

equipment: T500 - Minus the crappy plastic outlet pipe
2'' Pot Still Condenser

Postby Rush006 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:43 pm

stattonb wrote:have had this sitting on qoak for 3 weeks and had a sample of it water down to 40% not to much flavour atm is this normal ???

If its a first generation rum I would say yes. it will get more rummy from the oak in 3 months or so. Ive been doing only Rum for almost a year and it is only now getting really rummy. Im doing rum oils, aged Dunder and generations to get as strong as i can get.
Rush006

Postby xcvator » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:48 pm

Please be gentle with me as I'm an old age pensioner :teasing-neener:
I've read through this entire thread and only once have I found a passing mention to what I would like to know :? What sort of result could I expect if I just used brown sugar ( no molasses, no other sugar ) I'm asking this as I can get brown sugar at wholesale prices in 15kg bags and this would save me fucking around trying to get good molasses :think:

Sowhadayathink :handgestures-thumbupleft: or :handgestures-thumbdown:
xcvator

equipment: 2" MacBoka
2" Copper Pot still Head
50 Litre keg on a 16000 watt 4 ring gas burner

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development