tequila or mescal

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: tequila or mescal

Postby Toddles » Sun May 22, 2016 6:39 pm

"Agave has a toxic sap that immediately causes pain and burning upon contact with skin. Typically the skin will also turn red and may begin to develop blisters soon after exposure to agave. Exposed skin may also be sensitive to sunlight. If ingested, the saponin in the agave plant can have serious consequences including kidney and liver damage."
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/agave-poisonous-85296.html

Explains the reaction with your skin! Got to say mate you are a braver man than i trying to distill your own Tequila!
Toddles
Site Donor

equipment: 30 ltr boiler
2" coil pc
3" 1 metre packed stainless for neutral -95.6% abv
3" 370mm unpacked for pot stilling -81% abv + 1/2 inch air cooled worm

Postby EziTasting » Sun May 22, 2016 6:48 pm

Toddles wrote:"Agave has a toxic sap that immediately causes pain and burning upon contact with skin. Typically the skin will also turn red and may begin to develop blisters soon after exposure to agave. Exposed skin may also be sensitive to sunlight. If ingested, the saponin in the agave plant can have serious consequences including kidney and liver damage."
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/agave-poisonous-85296.html

Explains the reaction with your skin! Got to say mate you are a braver man than i trying to distill your own Tequila!

Hah, you make it sound like Russian Roulette... Where's your sense of adventure? :laughing-rolling:

I guess that means that the soaking/boiling is to detoxify the agave and make it useable for, well, tequila or mescal
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Toddles » Sun May 22, 2016 7:02 pm

I would guess so. Personally i would want to research the crap out of it to see if any toxins can be distilled out. I mean i just met you but :romance-kisscheek:

You guys would know though, i am ultra noob!
Toddles
Site Donor

2" coil pc

Postby EziTasting » Sun May 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Toddles wrote:I would guess so. Personally i would want to research the crap out of it to see if any toxins can be distilled out. I mean i just met you but :romance-kisscheek:

You guys would know though, i am ultra noob!

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: you're awesome! Valid response, I just spent the last hour or so looking and searching (started from your link) and struggled to find anything about neutralizing the effects of the agave poisons.
This article (in its 'Methods' tab) has some discussions about how they treat the Agave (lol) for fuel fermentation... Figured some intense reading would also provide hints towards self protection... While fermenting! :music-deathmetal: after all, that's what we're here for!
EziTasting

Postby Toddles » Sun May 22, 2016 8:00 pm

Well i figured as much also then i stumbled upon another hurdle. When i typed in "poisonous agave species" into god i was met with the same and or similar pictures!

And i must say you are pretty awesome yourself. If i ever met you i am sure you would get me plastered kind sir!
Toddles
Site Donor

2" coil pc

Postby bayshine » Sun May 22, 2016 8:18 pm

Well I know my agave/mezcal wash shouldn't kill me as Iv already eaten about a kilo and drank about 500ml of wash :)) ,I'd be more scared to eat or drink anything that came in contact with a fuel/turbo yeast :scared-eek:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby EziTasting » Sun May 22, 2016 8:19 pm

Haha, well may be.

These days I'm more into sipping than guzzling! And it more suited to my constitution...

Bayshine- is it living up to expectation or needs more work?
EziTasting

Postby Toddles » Sun May 22, 2016 8:30 pm

bayshine wrote:Well I know my agave/mezcal wash shouldn't kill me as Iv already eaten about a kilo and drank about 500ml of wash :)) ,I'd be more scared to eat or drink anything that came in contact with a fuel/turbo yeast :scared-eek:

Now that is VERY comforting to hear!
Toddles
Site Donor

2" coil pc

Postby bayshine » Sun May 22, 2016 8:45 pm

EziTasting wrote:Haha, well may be.

These days I'm more into sipping than guzzling! And it more suited to my constitution...

Bayshine- is it living up to expectation or needs more work?

Seems to be a slow fermenter, with the yeast going hard at the start but after a few hours it's just chugging along slowly, and in all the you tube videos I've watched with fermenting mashes it looks the same :think:
bayshine

Postby scythe » Mon May 23, 2016 5:52 am

Maddogpearse:
That does not look like the right type of agave.
Second rule of survival is don't eat a plant unless you 100% know what it is, and even then you need to test and trial small bits over a long period of time.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bayshine » Mon May 23, 2016 7:24 am

scythe wrote:Maddogpearse:
Second rule of survival is don't eat a plant unless you 100% know what it is, and even then you need to test and trial small bits over a long period of time.

On a second look that agave looks to be more of a blue colour than the green that is americana :think:
All agave are poisonous scythe but have been eaten for thousands of years by native Indians and have been making fermented drinks out of some as well with out any cooking process.
My guess would be that if you're not sure,wiki have the agave list so it can be checked,and then Cook it up and if it don't taste like food than it's probably not :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

Postby maddogpearse » Mon May 23, 2016 7:53 am

scythe wrote:Maddogpearse:

Haha thanks scythe, reckon I might stick with grain. This whole tequila making process seems a bit underdiscovered here in Australia to me. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
However bayshine, following this with great interest.
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby bayshine » Mon May 23, 2016 10:14 am

maddogpearse wrote:Hey dudes, is this what I'm after?

Nut I change my mind look like Americana to me,send it to me if you don't want it :laughing-rolling: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agave#/ ... icana4.jpg
bayshine

Postby wynnum1 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:31 am

When the agave is harvested is there any difference when its harvested time of day or time of year.
wynnum1

Postby bayshine » Tue May 24, 2016 11:09 am

I think it's when the starch content is high enough :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

Postby EziTasting » Thu May 26, 2016 12:27 pm

I see agave plants, everywhere...

No seriously, in the 3 suburbs I traverse, they're in all the old houses on the fence line-probably to keep the RiffRaff out!!
There's also a lot of RiffRaff here!
EziTasting

Postby bayshine » Thu May 26, 2016 1:17 pm

Ha ha ...me to mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bit of an update, checked the fermenters this morning (as they'd only been crawling along)and it looks like they'd nearly stopped,but still tasted sweat :think:
Checked sg...1040
Checked ph...3.1 :handgestures-thumbdown:
10 teaspoons of calcium carbonate each and now 4.3 and back up bubbling strong :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Guess its gunna be a few more days yet :roll:
bayshine

Postby warramungas » Fri May 27, 2016 7:26 pm

How far back did you cut into the core and how did you? Did you just trim at the base of the leaves or further back to remove all the outer material?
Curious as quite a few are being removed from town at the moment.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby bayshine » Sat May 28, 2016 1:42 am

I cut back as far as you can see in the first photo but I would cut more next time
My fuckup was not cooking it good enough I think..
Checked it again this morning an sg seems to have risen.....1052....WTF....and about to stall again
So I strained all solids out of the 60lt fermenters each separately and squeezed it in the grape press.
The fibres are like a sponge...out of 20lts bucket of solids I got 13lts of juice :handgestures-thumbupleft:
This left me with 50lt each fermenter so I topped up to 63 lt with fresh ro water and pitched some more bakers yeast and it took of like a rocket again...but we will see how she's going in the morning :think:
This has all been at a constant temp of 28-31degC
I'm sure the secret is in the cooking..next time I will use a ugly drum smoker for 4days ,that way I will be able to keep it cooking and be able to keep an eye on it .
I've never handled a wash so much but It doesn't seem to have picked up any infections yet or seem like it will :think: even the yeast is stuggling :))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bayshine

Postby bayshine » Sat May 28, 2016 2:18 am

warramungas wrote:How far back did you cut into the core and how did you? Did you just trim at the base of the leaves or further back to remove all the outer material?
Curious as quite a few are being removed from town at the moment.

I used a machete to cut the leaves off, gloves and long sleeves are the go for this, then stabbed into the root ball underneath from all sides and kicked it over....would have been easier to tow it out with the ute :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development