Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:35 am

You'll want one that reads lower for diluting down to drinking strength anyway ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Garfield » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:06 pm

Was just estimating by dilution e.g. 90% spirit cut in half for a 45% whiskey. Think my local HBS only has one alcometer
Garfield

equipment: Reflux still

Postby EziTasting » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:47 am

8-} 8-} we've just stripped a 200L batch of TPW (discarding 250ml forshots each run - we can only do 45L at a time) nothing special there... But when we did the spirit runs, again discarding 300ml fores, we couldn't discern any heads! :scared-eek:

Jars 1- 38 smelled the same, tasted the same (some jars in between we're sweeter than others, for some reason); 39 & 40 were a little weird so they went in to feints with the other 8 jars of tails ...

I'm just worried that there'll be heads and they're smeared or something?!?

Can this happen that you have a tiny heads proportion??

4" X 4 bubble plates, running pro-caps, 500 packed section with 3/4KG of copper mesh and the rest is SS mesh ...
I'm stumped!!! We've noticed that doing 100% reflux for an hour gives us a lot more hearts, but this is confusing me and worrying me!! Don't want any nasty surprises!

Comments? Questions? What are we missing...?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby bayshine » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:04 pm

Doesn't sound quite right ezi :think:
The sweetness taste will be your heads and should be strong from the first jar and disappear when your hearts come through
Just for an example... my last rum run I stripped 230lt then added them to 70lt of fresh wash for spirit run and I took 500ml of foreshots and then about 4lt of heads before the hearts come through. But I only reflux for half an hour while taking fores and then really slowly take heads for upto 2hrs or when I can taste the hearts and then I ramp it up until some tails start.
Then back into full reflux for upto an hour and I usually get another couple of litres of hearts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby EziTasting » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:46 pm

Thx bayshine,
I know something is screwy!! What's even more confusing is that the sweet jars were not consecutive, and, not at the beginning (altho I'll be paying much more attention to it from now on!), that's a pretty good description of a running style.

We've got another lot of WBAB for spirit run this weekend for neutral. I'll be paying a lot more attention! Just never had anything like this and it's not like I've only done 1 or 2 of it; it's kinda our staple for the Ladies and for gutts...
TPW is just so easy to run! Got me fluffed... Only scone run from a 200L cement, tho. Last time had chines SS wool mess up the flavour, the time is back to being a really nice drop! Poobottombum!
EziTasting

Postby Sam. » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:52 pm

What take off rate you pulling Ezi?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bayshine » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:54 pm

I can only think that maybe your take off rate was a bit fast at the start :think:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby EziTasting » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:51 am

Take-off has been a medium paced drip for the foreshots & a toothpick stream for the rest.

It'd take around 12-15 mins per 300ml jar on the toothpick stream...
EziTasting

Postby freerocketman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:45 pm

can anyone tell me if you forget the citric acid can you put it in 2 days after the wash starts bubbling? i sort of had a moment after a few scotches :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
freerocketman

equipment: T500, using my own filter set up

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:49 pm

I don't even bother with it sometimes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby freerocketman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:01 pm

thanks Doubleuj i just added it just in case it made a difference, this is only my 2nd tpw so still getting used to how forgiving it is. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
freerocketman

equipment: T500, using my own filter set up

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:27 pm

No worries mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: , if you read the whole thread you would have found the answer there numerous times, I probably should have just suggested that instead of answering the same question others have asked, if we keep doing that this thread will end up being 49 pages long... Wait. :shock: :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby EziTasting » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:57 pm

freerocketman wrote:thanks Doubleuj i just added it just in case it made a difference, this is only my 2nd tpw so still getting used to how forgiving it is. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: did the same. Got the same answer... probably from the same guy!
Doubleuj wrote:No worries mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: , if you read the whole thread you would have found the answer there numerous times, I probably should have just suggested that instead of answering the same question others have asked, if we keep doing that this thread will end up being 49 pages long... Wait. :shock: :laughing-rolling:

Good to have you on board DJ, :clap:
EziTasting

Postby Plumby » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:11 pm

I have just made another tpw but this time I used entirely rain water not town and I added a pinch of epsom salts. The differences are extraordinary got a massive krausen normaly I get a little foam and the yeast started working within half an hour normally it takes an hour or two.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby EziTasting » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:22 pm

Plumby wrote:I have just made another tpw but this time I used entirely rain water not town and I added a pinch of epsom salts. The differences are extraordinary got a massive krausen normaly I get a little foam and the yeast started working within half an hour normally it takes an hour or two.

Hah, good share! I got some DAP so once our current wash has been utilized (read drunk/consumed/gifted/shared/whatever), I will be testing the different effects, of the different additives (DAP, Epsom, yeast 'bomb')... just because we''re busy enough with 3 businesses! :wtf:
EziTasting

Postby TruckOff » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:01 pm

For my first TPW i have read through all the recipes and pinched a bit from here and there and gave it a go.

So here is my experiment: :-B
SB001 - 23/10/2016
204g Tomato Paste woolies cheap
60g of lemon juice in a bottle
6kg of sugar with 12 litres of hot tap water in fermenter
2 pinches of epsom salt
101g Lowan Premium Bakers Yeast
Pitched Yeast at 30.7deg
half mixed in
half sprinkled on top
SG 1094

It bubbled like wild and still is, started bubbling almost 20 mins from the yeast being pitched. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Still going very strong at 27deg and now the third day impressed and so looking forward to putting this wash through the t500.
Need to do some more researching and reading on cuts with this wash on the t500 tho.

I will update on all when this has finished brewing. :obscene-birdiedoublered:
TruckOff

equipment: Looking to build
T500 kit bought second hand cheap.

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:54 pm

What's the total volume of your wash? ~27Lish, I'm guessing... Looks alright, I'd go 5kg of sugar though, aim for an SG of about 1080
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby prawnz » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:33 pm

I tried a similar thing with one pair of 25lt TPWs . One was true to the tried and proven recipe , in the other one I put the extra kg of sugar a little more yeast and so on . Stripped and spirited them separately and got near as dammit to exactly the same amount of hearts from both only difference was one cost a bit more :crying-blue:

Guess thats why the TPW recipe is in the tried and proven area :angry-banghead:
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Plumby » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:19 pm

L
prawnz wrote:I tried a similar thing with one pair of 25lt TPWs . One was true to the tried and proven recipe , in the other one I put the extra kg of sugar a little more yeast and so on . Stripped and spirited them separately and got near as dammit to exactly the same amount of hearts from both only difference was one cost a bit more :crying-blue:

Guess thats why the TPW recipe is in the tried and proven area :angry-banghead:

:text-+1:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby TruckOff » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:54 pm

Yeh in 27 litres.

i had to try. :pray:

But i will be doing the tried and tested std and comparing as well. :D
TruckOff

equipment: Looking to build
T500 kit bought second hand cheap.

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development