Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby CyBaThUg » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:05 pm

Has anyone tried just one gen of 200 litres would it taste like ass or ok lol
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby bluc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:06 pm

Done lots as single gens. Not 200l in one go though. Will be fine :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:27 am

Still be like a gen 1! Just a lot more of it...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:29 am

Yeah doing a macs bwko at the moment and soon as it's done want to put a rum down but over doing gens lol I know it gets a better unique taste but I'm getting lazy
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby Rush006 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:46 am

xcvator wrote:My 1st rum wash :-D
Feed grade molasses 5kg's
3kg of raw sugar
80gms bakers yeast

Seemed to ferment ok, I kept it at about 30c to 35c for 4 or 5 days until fermentation stopped.
Left for about 10 days to settle

So now I have 25 litres of muddy (black) wash with about 5mm of clear liquid on top :scared-eek:

Is this normal or have I stuffed up somewhere ?
Should I just run it as is or dump it, just hate to waste the time and gas to run it if it's stuffed
cheers Keith

Rum wash never really clears but I am a big fan of leaving for as long as you can as all the dead yeast settles and IMO makes a better sipping rum. boiling up dead yeast just makes for a rough/sharp taste to me. Ive been putting in Epsom salt, vitamin B and a good dollop of tomato paste as a nutrient. I've done the dunder pit and even put it in my wash but had varying results so now only put dunder from pit in keg at distilling time. I leave the wash and dunder in keg together for a while before i start boiling. just while i set up everything else. Time for flavours to meld. Who knows? But happy with how it has been working out for me. Ive been ageing on less oak for longer and add raisins and a vanilla bean to a demigon. good sipping rum. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rush006

equipment: mac4 ssg

Postby Rush006 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:13 am

brewman wrote:So Rum no. 2 is coming of age.

It was 6 generations to make almost 25 litres of final product and is now about 9 months old (from the final addition) with 12.5g / litre of light French Oak. It tastes pretty good at the moment but the question is do I need to start removing the oak or will it be ok to leave at this concentration.

20161014_212202.jpg

I have over oak'd and its not nice if you are after quality sipping rum. 10g/L up to 1 year for me is good IMO. I salvaged the shit i made and over oak'd by turning it into a mixing rum for coke. for a mixer you need strong oak and harsh flavour to punch through the coke. I also added some Jamaican rum essence less than half of what is recommended as you already have the rum flavour. and this turned some of my worst brews into a mixer i quite enjoyed. one way to use up any rough stuff you don't enjoy sipping.
Rush006

Postby bluc » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:43 pm

Was wondering how you were going with your dunder pit rush..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Rush006 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:28 pm

bluc wrote:Was wondering how you were going with your dunder pit rush..

The rum I made with aged dunder was all definitly better. As long as your dunder has the right colour crust on top and smells are sweet then go for it.You have to controll the PH of the dunder pit to keep the right bacteria happy. I got varied results putting it in the wash so just add a few litres to the distilling process. I always put fresh dunder in the wash though. and when i say varied results it was more to do with output. the hearts were still good. one thing I will try next is to put some in the wash after the ferment and leave for a week and see if i get a stronger flavour. I think the biggest lesson learnt for me in the past couple of years is patience. I dont distill soon as it stops bubbling. i wait as long as possible for as much yeast to settle. this rum suits my taste more. and a little oak goes a long way if your going to age over a year. Ive just moved again so starting fresh with the dunder pit. :D
Rush006

Postby coffe addict » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:16 am

The reading I've done suggests that adding the aged dunder to the wash after about 3days. As this makes sure that the yeast gets most of the job done before the funky bacteria are added. So you still create some better flavours and have good yield.
Have you tried it this way and if so what were the results like?
My dunder pit isn't ready yet, looking forward to seeing the difference it can make.
Another thing that's rumoured to help with esters is to hold in full reflux for an hour or so before taking of fores.
Has anyone tried this?
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby EziTasting » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:43 am

coffe addict wrote:Another thing that's rumoured to help with esters is to hold in full reflux for an hour or so before taking of fores.
Has anyone tried this?

I always full reflux for an hour... I've also started to strip everything, saves time and seems to age better...
EziTasting

Postby Rush006 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:55 pm

coffe addict wrote:The reading I've done suggests that adding the aged dunder to the wash after about 3days. As this makes sure that the yeast gets most of the job done before the funky bacteria are added. So you still create some better flavours and have good yield.
Have you tried it this way and if so what were the results like?
My dunder pit isn't ready yet, looking forward to seeing the difference it can make.
Another thing that's rumoured to help with esters is to hold in full reflux for an hour or so before taking of fores.
Has anyone tried this?

I always hold in full reflux for 45m to an hour to help get good separation and balance the plates. If your Dunder pit is more than 14 days old it will be making all the good shit to use in your rum. putting aged dunder in after ferment is my next step and if all good will try day 3. the hardest part is waiting 6 to 12 months to find out if it worked the way you hoped. My dunder pit is a 25l food grade bucket with a tap about 100mm up from bottom. that way i can take from the clear middle section. no sediment and no fungus from the top. my only rule is if it smells like it is going to enhance my flavour use it. if it stinks then don't. It should be a rum fruity smell from what i have read. I've read elsewhere that people are worried about drinking something bad with bacteria in it. once it has been distilled anything that comes through the still is sitting in pure alcohol. what does the hospitals use to kill bacteria.....Alcohol. surely anything that could hurt you should be killed by this stage. Im no chemist so take what i say with a grain of salt. :obscene-drinkingdrunk: Im still alive :pray:
Rush006

Postby EziTasting » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Yep that works!

Don't forget your boiling the broth as well... even if it isn't @ 100 degrees it will still lyse majority of the bacteria!

:teasing-neener:
EziTasting

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:24 pm

I just tried some Rum made with some very funky 11 month old dunder, not sick yet. :scared-eek:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby warramungas » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:01 pm

For all you rum heads.
Should I use 4 plates AND an inline thumper or will I lose too much flavour?
This rum isn't for me to drink as I'm still not much for rum so I guess taste is subjective.
What would you guys who seem to love your rum do with 100 liters of mcrum wash?
Not going to do a strip and spirit run if I can help it.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Rush006 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:48 pm

warramungas wrote:For all you rum heads.
Should I use 4 plates AND an inline thumper or will I lose too much flavour?
This rum isn't for me to drink as I'm still not much for rum so I guess taste is subjective.
What would you guys who seem to love your rum do with 100 liters of mcrum wash?
Not going to do a strip and spirit run if I can help it.

just 4 plates is what i use. never used a thumper so don't know what it does. I run my wash just the once through 4 plates and am happy with what I produce.
cheers.
Rush006

Postby warramungas » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:10 pm

Ta rush!
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby rumsponge » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:32 am

don't forget your boiling the broth as well... even if it isn't @ 100 degrees it will still lyse majority of the bacteria!

all true, but keep in mind that even though the bacteria may be dead the stuff they have produced up to this stage may still be around. Some of the most toxic compounds known to men are produced by fungi (google aflatoxins). Most of these are porbably not too volatile, but you never know what these bugs make. Not trying to discourage anyone, in fact I will be experimenting with my 8 months old dunder pit shortly.
cheers, rs
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby Knocklofty » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:49 am

I'm sure the ph of dunder pit is important, is there a general consensus?
Knocklofty

equipment: Reflux and pot

Postby Kal » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:22 am

Been in this hobby for a few years now, never tried a rum before, decided that had to change. So I threw down a rum wash on Wednesday for the first time :handgestures-thumbupright:

Normally I do 2x 25L washes for my 50L still, but I cut back to 2x20L washes for this. 2kg raw sugar, 2kg bundaberg refinery molasses, 2 teaspoons DAP, pinch of epsom salts, and topped up to 20L mark with water, with about 1/3 cup of lowans bakers yeast. Thing took off like a rocket that arvo with about 3 bubbles per second for each carboy @ 38 degrees.

Fast forward 36 hours and a cold change comes through, so I decide to check the temps. To my suprise there were practically no bubbles. Just an odd bloop maybe every minute. Oh no, has it stalled?! I left it for the night and today went out and took a sample to check the SG, to my suprise it is reading 1.000

Did this thing really ferment out in 36 hours??!!

I'm more accustomed to my WPOSW taking a week or two, even the fast ferment of UJSSM still took about 3 days from memory.

I just wanted to check to see if others have had their washes ferment out this fast?
Kal

equipment: 50L keg boiler
2" bok still
4" plate still

Postby bluc » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:31 am

Yes rum quite often finishs in 3 days and sometimes bwko will also :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Edit sorry misread 36h gee that is fast :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development