Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby bluc » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:04 pm

Yea lots un fermentabls in molasses throws the gravity off will usually finish round 1.010 i have found.
Yep 40l is a 3rd more so extra kilo sugar extra litre of molasses and good to go.
Rum loves a hot ferment, adds lots of fruitiness :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby vossy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:03 pm

So I have done a run 5 gens a few months ago. I was hunting around today and found the following 2 molasses at a local shop. Can anyone advise if these are going to work.

Cheers for the help.
vossy

equipment: 2 x Essencia Super Reflux 25L
1 x 50L Keg Pot Still/Bubbler with Gin Caddy

Postby EziTasting » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:10 am

The one without preservatives!
Next qualifier would be "Bang for your Buck"!
followed by Availability...

just some of my parameters.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby vossy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:21 am

thanks ezi just trying wanted to know if anyone had used these before. Cant find info if they have preservatives or not, I know one says does not contain restricted animal matter but not sure what that is.
vossy

Postby Dyno » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:46 am

Does anyone here clarify their molasses prior to fermenting? If so does it make any difference to the quality of the final product? Just curious.
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby tipsy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:21 pm

vossy wrote:thanks ezi just trying wanted to know if anyone had used these before. Cant find info if they have preservatives or not, I know one says does not contain restricted animal matter but not sure what that is.

I use the Freemantle one all the time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby EziTasting » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Dyno wrote:Does anyone here clarify their molasses prior to fermenting? If so does it make any difference to the quality of the final product? Just curious.

There's inconclusive evidence as to the value of this process. Probably because we all use different molasses from different suppliers and if different quality!

I have done it and found lots of ash in the bottom of the pot. Did it affect the final taste? I'm not certain it made a difference... only way for you to know if it's worth it is to have a go!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:05 pm

Freemantle is the go, I've been using it for a couple of years now. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Dyno » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:16 pm

EziTasting wrote:
Dyno wrote:Does anyone here clarify their molasses prior to fermenting? If so does it make any difference to the quality of the final product? Just curious.

There's inconclusive evidence as to the value of this process. Probably because we all use different molasses from different suppliers and if different quality!

I have done it and found lots of ash in the bottom of the pot. Did it affect the final taste? I'm not certain it made a difference... only way for you to know if it's worth it is to have a go!

Thanks for the reply Ezi. I've heard a couple of whispers that swing either way so thought I'd ask. Don't make a lot of it so I thought it was worth throwing out the question to experienced Rum brewers. Cheers mate.
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby vossy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:40 pm

Thanks for the help as always just out of curiosity what are you guys paying for the Fremantle stuff think it is about $36.00.
vossy

Postby vqstatesman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:54 pm

I have used Freemantle a dozen or so times. Great stuff.
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:34 pm

I'm paying $33 at Jamiesons, Roberts up the road is selling for $60 :violence-stickwhack:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby rash » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Are these brands of molasses better than the stuff sold out of the drum by stockfeed places? My local stockfeed keeps 2 and 3ltr milk bottles of molasses on the floor next to the counter. $2.50 for 3ltrs. Ideal size for my 23ltr washes. No need to measure! Im sure he keeps them there just for home brewers :laughing-rolling:
rash

equipment: Pot still
4 plate, 3" bubbler on 50ltr keg boiler.

Postby Yurugaboy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi,
I'm going to try a first rum 4 bubbler run tomorrow. Anyone leave copper mesh in first section above the boiler ? Or suggest none at all in bubbler for this rum?

I've now made Gin,Neutral, limoncello and tonight - Kahlua . All from 1 spirit run TPW over 8 bubbler plates.did up labels and put them in IKEA bottles to smell advisors. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :cool:
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" 4 plate Blockhead Bubbler on a 50 l FSD milk can powered by 2x 2400w elements

Postby tipsy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:57 pm

[quote="Yurugaboy"]Hi,
I'm going to try a first rum 4 bubbler run tomorrow. Anyone leave copper mesh in first section above the boiler ? /quote]

I've never used mesh in anything except vodka/neutral, and I rave about my rum.... 8-}
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Yurugaboy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:34 am

tipsy wrote:
Yurugaboy wrote:Hi,
I'm going to try a first rum 4 bubbler run tomorrow. Anyone leave copper mesh in first section above the boiler ? /quote]

I've never used mesh in anything except vodka/neutral, and I rave about my rum.... 8-}

Thanks, remember seeing somewhere that some Rum people used it to check against puking .

I have only used it for neutral / gin so far.

Thanks Tipsy. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" 4 plate Blockhead Bubbler on a 50 l FSD milk can powered by 2x 2400w elements

Postby bluc » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:41 am

I'm going to try a first rum 4 bubbler run tomorrow. Anyone leave copper mesh in first section above the boiler ? Or suggest none at all in bubbler for this rum? :handgestures-thumbupleft: :cool:

Isnt that mesh there for sulphite removal also? if so I would leave it in..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:35 am

That little bit of mesh isn't going to strip any flavour, no drama leaving it in. Or leave it out. Don't over think it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Yurugaboy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Yurugaboy wrote:
tipsy wrote:

Thanks, remember seeing somewhere that some Rum people used it to check against puking .

I have only used it for neutral / gin so far.

Thanks Tipsy. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So ran the rum wash -
No puking , ran differently from TPW

From 33 litres got 1.35 l useable after 150 mm fores . Did 300mm cuts - kept some heads but left distinct smell tails for feints demijohn.

Put in 2 FSD charred French oak dominoes. Then turned into into a spiced rum experiment.

Now to wait.
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

Postby vossy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:21 am

Doing my second batch of rum. First 2 gens worked fine (Im running 2 x 25L fermeters) On Gen 3 a week ago I added to back to fermenter but no activity shown. Replaced seals on fermenter still no activity. Yesterday morning I added more yeast to one of them, as it had been a week without bubbles, and as I stirred it, it foamed up and went everywhere. The second one I just stirred, but didn't add yeast and it foamed slightly. Checked again this morning and still no bubbling in air lock. PH is around 7 (if meter is correct)
Thoughts anyone??
vossy

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development