Rum Chat

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Chat

Postby brookesy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Thanks for your assistance kind sir...
brookesy

equipment: 50l custom reflux / pot attachment

Postby bluc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:58 pm

No problemo :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby teitan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:22 am

Hi guys
I've done my 1st rum strip, I thought it went well until I emptied the boiler and found a scorched bottom. I did a 50l mac rum, sg was 1.093 fg was 1.041, I thought it was a little high the fg reading but left it to settle for over a week. There is still half left to go. Would stripping the 2nd half with a power controller help prevent scorching or is the high fg going to be the problem? ta
teitan

equipment: 50L FSD milk can, 4” FSD Visualiser

Postby teitan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:08 pm

I just thought i'd better post a picture in case I've got my terminology wrong
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=30

teitan wrote:Hi guys
I've done my 1st rum strip, I thought it went well until I emptied the boiler and found a scorched bottom. I did a 50l mac rum, sg was 1.093 fg was 1.041, I thought it was a little high the fg reading but left it to settle for over a week. There is still half left to go. Would stripping the 2nd half with a power controller help prevent scorching or is the high fg going to be the problem? ta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
teitan

equipment: 50L FSD milk can, 4” FSD Visualiser

Postby Sam. » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:21 pm

Looks a bit discoloured but I wouldn't say scorched :think:

The first thing to get scorched will be your elements, not the base of the still.

A good clean and scrub should bring it up :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby scythe » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:28 am

Yeah that looks like the "scorching" in my coffee kettle, must be alot of suspended solids in my filtered tap water.
(I'm trying to be funny)

That is just heat discolouration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby ultrasuede » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:03 pm

I'm having an issue with my pure molasses rum. After 2 100lt generations I decided to put down a spirit run. Went to plan as usual, but the resulting rum was lacking the mouth feel and sweetness that is indicative of rum. Tbh, I've never done more than 2 generations. Could further generations produce the characteristics I'm after?
ultrasuede

equipment: Boka 1.5 metre, 50lt keg boiler and a pot still.

Postby bluc » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:26 pm

How old is it and whats the recipe ultra?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby ultrasuede » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:39 pm

26kg molasses, pinch of epsom salts and a shit tonne of the finest lowans bread yeast money can buy per 100lt. It's been on 25g p/ltr of French, American oak both roasted and toasted for a couple of weeks with a couple of stints in a sous vide set to 68c to kick start the ageing
Last edited by ultrasuede on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ultrasuede

equipment: Boka 1.5 metre, 50lt keg boiler and a pot still.

Postby bluc » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:56 pm

I have found mouthfeel to come and go. One day it is real thick clings to glass and then week later, and that syrupy feel has gone. Sweetness is similar. Do you taste at set intervals or often/random? Maybe you just havnt got it at a good point in its cycle?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby mattyb » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:03 am

Anyone know why a second gen won't start. Followed instructions to a tee and even added some more yeast which seemed to bubble up and has left a foam layer on top but no fizzing? 3L molasses and 3kg sugar, 10L from the boiler which was cool when added to the leftovers in the fermenter. Got an aquarium heater sitting on 26 deg so the temp should be right???
mattyb

equipment: 4" Glasser

Postby warramungas » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:17 am

What was your final volume?
Guessing around 25 to 30 liters with that amount of sugar.
10 liters of dunder is a lot and ph may have stalled it.
Last edited by warramungas on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby mattyb » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:24 am

Yep about 30 litres. Might try new batch with less Dundee. Don't have anything to read ph
mattyb

Postby mattyb » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:33 pm

Got it started. Emptied several litres and put fresh water in to dilute it and she is fizzing away now. Prob not as much distillate this time but hopefully still creating more flavour
mattyb

Postby Dunnonuthin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:49 pm

Having very similar issues to mattyb.
Just cannot get the next generation ferment to kick off.
Using Macrum recipe. 25L washes.
When fermentation has finished, I cold crash to 2deg for a couple of days before the stripping run. After that, dissolve the 3L molasses (Fremantle brand)+3kg sugar in 10L hot dunder. Add tsp Epsom salts. Chill to 30deg. Add to lees. Airate the bejesus out of it. Leave overnight in the fermentation chamber set at 36deg.
Next morning? Zero fermentation activity. Add some fresh, hydrated lowans yeast, and by that evening it’s fermenting happily. This happened on both the 2nd & 3rd generations.
Done my research, and tested the pH of the 3rd generation using test strips (0-14type). Now, dunno if they worked correctly (cause the colours didn’t really change, just took on a rum wash hue) but if they did work correctly, my best interpretation means pH should have been about 5. So pH is not the issue?
(I tried the test strips on Bakers soldering flux and my own saliva, and got the expected results, so I suppose they are working)

I’ve got at least 2 more gens left in this bucket of molasses.
Any ideas what’s causing the apparent stall in fermentation?
Dunnonuthin

equipment: 50L boiler
2" Boka
4" Bubbler
10L Gin Pot

Postby woodduck » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:03 pm

That is an odd one :think: PH seems ok although those strips may not be great for rum because of the dark colour of rum. In any case if the new yeast your pitching in the same wash work ok then shouldn't be ph.

My only thought is that the yeast are dying for some reason. Do you put some cold water on the yeast after you've siphoned the wash off while your doing your run? This also helps for when you put the hot backset sugar mix in later.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby nuddy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:56 pm

Any one ever experienced a dirty and tailsy flavour come over in their rum throughout the entire run?

I've been puzzling over a handful of different ferments with one type of molasses that has fermented fine. However when run through the still comes out like dogs balls. I picked it up early this year and its been sitting in 10L totes which I've had to crack the lid on as they were pressurising and expanding.

I've made a molasses and sugar (mcrum) with it that I ran through 3 plates at 2.5L/hr.
Molasses and golden syrup that ran through 4 plates at 2.5l/hr.
All molasses that I tried to pot still and still turned out like crap.

Any one else had issues with this?
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Postby bluc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:06 pm

I have done plenty funky rum. Only rum I have liked without ageing is when its collected at 92% from a bubbler.
Is yours funky before or after ageing? :-B From a pot still ageing in glass I found 6mnths is when it became nice. There was nice flavours early on but lots of funk :handgestures-thumbdown:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby nuddy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:33 pm

bluc wrote:I have done plenty funky rum. Only rum I have liked without ageing is when its collected at 92% from a bubbler.
Is yours funky before or after ageing? :-B From a pot still ageing in glass I found 6mnths is when it became nice. There was nice flavours early on but lots of funk :handgestures-thumbdown:

Funky before aging (am yet to try aging these), right off the still and after 24 hours of airing. Wasn't something I was used too. All rums I've ever made before were on the bubbler with either 4 plates or 7L inline thumper with 3 plates. These were delicious straight off the still.

The latest ones are either funked up (which I'm not used to) or heading towards neutral territory.

My tastebuds are definitely not tuned into pot stilling flavours.
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Postby Astro » Sun May 06, 2018 10:38 pm

crow wrote:Looks like I may have found a good source of molasses in Ballarat so what this space, I'm back in the rum game baby :dance:

Hey mate

Old thread i know but is this still the case, need to find a supplier in this area :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Astro

equipment: 2" pot and 2" bok on 50ltr elec keg boiler

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development