MacWhisky Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: MacWhisky Recipe Discussion

Postby Nathan02 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:01 am

ok collected 1.9l of hearts that tasted pretty good. was after a quick drinker so watered to 40 percent ( not ideal for oaking i know) and oaked it with 15grams per litre. but ive used toasted french oak. im worried, should i have used american? anyone had good results on french?
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby EziTasting » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:09 am

Nathan02 wrote:ok collected 1.9l of hearts that tasted pretty good. was after a quick drinker so watered to 40 percent ( not ideal for oaking i know) and oaked it with 15grams per litre. but ive used toasted french oak. im worried, should i have used american? anyone had good results on french?

I’d think it comes down to preference... I like the taste of French over US and I believe it colours quicker...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby db1979 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:45 pm

Were they oak chips or dominoes?
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Nathan02 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:48 pm

dominoes mate
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby db1979 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:08 pm

Nathan02 wrote:dominoes mate

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby bluc » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:07 pm

I am a fan of french also.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Ronker » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:22 pm

Been wanting to try this for a while,
But I do like the smokey aftertaste of a malt, I know I went be my single malt though.
So I have
A kilo of pilsner malt
A kilo of heavy peated malt
A kilo and half karamalt
As much sugar as required.
Was going to ferment then strip fast in pot still then do slow spirit run with good cuts.

My question was, should I just boil up the malt lightly and just tip it all in together with sugar etc n pitch yeast once cooled, or
Is there a better way to treat to malt before putting in wash?

Cheers
Last edited by Sam. on Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed double post
Ronker

equipment: Pure Distilling - 'Spirit Maker' Reflux Rig
Pure Distilling - Pot Still

Postby spoonjab » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:30 pm

I found a demijon of this in the back of my brew cupboard. Damn good now with 5yrs age. Currently one of my favorites :mrgreen:
spoonjab

equipment: 2' pot
4' 8plate modular bubbler
Carter head

Postby pat_00 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:50 am

Ronker wrote:Been wanting to try this for a while,
But I do like the smokey aftertaste of a malt, I know I went be my single malt though.
So I have
A kilo of pilsner malt
A kilo of heavy peated malt
A kilo and half karamalt
As much sugar as required.
Was going to ferment then strip fast in pot still then do slow spirit run with good cuts.

My question was, should I just boil up the malt lightly and just tip it all in together with sugar etc n pitch yeast once cooled, or
Is there a better way to treat to malt before putting in wash?

Cheers

Hi, Karamalt is a crystal malt. I wouldn't use that much of it or it will be way too sweet from all the unfermentable sugars. Will be more like a rum than a whiskey.

In beer brewing it is usually kept to 5% of total grain bill, you might be able to get away with more in a whiskey. Maybe someone else here can advise?

You'd want to look at mashing the grains, boiling the grain will not get you access to the fermentables (and flavour) in the Pilsner and Peated malts. Boiling grain can also extract harsh flavours.

Get a mesh bag and do a mini BIAB (Brew In a Bag) mash, should be easy to do on the stovetop with that amount of grain.
pat_00

equipment: DIY 2" modular CCVM/Boka/Pot

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:28 pm

If you do a stove top with the grain remember that if the mash is thick the bottom of the pot can get over temperature on the stove need to keep mixing when heating.
wynnum1

Postby orcy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:49 pm

Don't boil the malt. Get 10L of water up to 68 degrees, then chuck the milled grain in and mix well. Put lid on pot and cover the whole thing with a blanket. After 90 mins strain the whole lot into your fermenter and wash the grain with 10L.of cold water. Add sugar to 1080 or so gravity, and pitch your yeast when the whole thing is under 30C.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby Lowie » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:12 pm

I've been ginning around with this recipe for a while now. Makes nice whiskey no doubt. My latest experiment today is...

1 x can of Coopers Amber malt
1 x 4kg sugar
1 x pinch of epson salts
1 x 1/2 teaspoon of DAP
1 x Multivitamin
1 x dash of citric acid
1 x .5kg Bairds Amber malt
1 x .5kg Gladfield ale malt
1 x 50gm USW-6 Yeast which is commercially used by the US whiskey distillers (I imported a kilo to try).

My secret weapon for this wash is: I filled most of the 25l fermenter with the leftover mash from my Mountain goat Steam ale brew which I ran through my herms. fingers crossed, not only am I going to have an awesome beer, but the FV smells awesome already and a good whiskey should be ready to go in a few months or so. :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Re: MacWhisky

Postby justlearning » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:12 pm

JDB wrote:Just finishing off my first MacWhisky and have a couple of questions for the you gents. Ran it through a detuned Boka, have done a lot of rums so have the operation sorted.
1. Yield seemed a little low, but the tails was very long compared to the rum runs, is this normal? Isn't surprising given the available sugars in this wash compared to a 3l molasses 3kg sugar wash. Output smells/tastes great into the tails though.
2. Have reused the lees in the barrel after I racked off. Seemed to be lots of flavor left in the grains so i added more sugar, dry malt that I had sitting around and more water, is bubbling away happily now. Anyone re-use the grain bed like this or am I just be a tight arse?
3. Put another wash down using Caramalt and dark malted grain, smells great, but what will it taste like?
4. I'm in on both the oak buys, thinking heavy charred American Oak, any other recommendations?

Thanks for any advise. Can't wait to try this stuff.

Hey There JDB, do you have any idea of the approx reflux ratio you run in the boka for this or your rum?
do you measure vapor temp? and what was it generally running at?
pretty excited to give this a go!
justlearning

equipment: 2" Reflux Liquid Management with a window
Based on the Carriage Still on this site

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Jdb hasn’t logged on since 2017
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby bluc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:46 pm

I thought a detuned boka meant no reflux.....
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:12 pm

Hey there Justlearning, welcome.
It would be great if you could pop into the welcome center and tell us a bit about yourself.

If your using your boka as a pot I would just run it as fast as you can without vapor escaping out the top and the tap fully open for the strip run then slow it down with a power controller to a broken stream for the spirit run. Leave the tap fully open on the spirit run as well. Also remove all the packing when using it as a pot still.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby justlearning » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:35 am

Hey there woodduck and others,
thanks for the info! i really am just learning although i've done alot of reading so i get all the theory (doesn't always help though!) so all info from you experienced folk is helpful!! :razz:
Cheers!
justlearning

equipment: 2" Reflux Liquid Management with a window
Based on the Carriage Still on this site

Postby Joycy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:02 pm

I have just finished fermenting 2x 27l batches of this and is now mixed together and settling until I run it on Saturday. There's been little chat here in recent times, are many of you making MacWhisky and how are you going with it? Are you making it in pot stills or bubblers?
Joycy

equipment: Currently building a 4" bubbler

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:12 pm

I make it, I love it. It’s the only stuff that I let age properly because it’s sooo good. I just do a single run through the bubbler
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Joycy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:29 pm

How long do you normally let it age for? I've seen mixed stories on how long lads have the patients for :))
How slow do you run it in the bubbler? Do you control it with a power controller or just let it run on full blast?
Joycy

equipment: Currently building a 4" bubbler

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development