Great Gin Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Great Gin Recipe Discussion

Postby orcy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:33 pm

I prefer gin with overnight mascerated juniper and other botanicals in the boiler just before running. Vapour path gin always seems a bit weak and boring. Sucks to visit a commercial distillery and realise you make better gin at home.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby coffe addict » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:51 pm

:text-+1: vapour infused is lacking imo unless you drink gin straight then vapour infused wins.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby The Dark Alchemist » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:47 pm

I have only made 2x batches of Odin's Easy Gin recipe, both have been a super success.

First was almost to the letter, as I added neutral as I made it, along with incremental botanicals. Left it for 2 weeks, pumped it through the T-500 and waited as quick as I could for 3 weeks before trying - nectar! I was surprised as from what I read, the T-500 wasn't favoured as a gin producing unit.

The second batch I was pushed for storage space, so macerated 10x botanicals in 5L of 91% neutral for 2 weeks, before diluting and re-distilling. This batch gave a lot of louching at 42%; I think I didn't sacrfice enough early product off the still, so have been cutting it back with 42% neutral. Drinking great now, 3 weeks later.

Both batches I have just removed the citrus from the boiler before distilling, then let it rip; no infusion at all.

My next batch will be 2L to the letter, and a comparison 2L swapping tangerine for lemon and a further 2L going for a more rooty flavour, than citrus - I have a lot of botanicals to play with.....
Last edited by The Dark Alchemist on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Dark Alchemist

equipment: Copper T-500

Previous

Return to Recipe Development